Can we talk about the failed experiment in American education we've been conducting for almost a year?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
This thread's a trip.

Districts didn't expect this to last past last summer, so they didn't do any real planning.

By then, the "back to school" and the "keep them home" camps were clearly set, and both were vocal.

Boards tried to make everyone happy, which means nobody was made happy.

Distance learning is horrible for everyone but the most committed kids. It's equally bad for teachers, and in particular, special ed teachers, who still have legal requirements to deal with. Poor kids don't have internet connection or laptops. Others have both parents working.

Some teachers are cool and understand late work is better than no work. That on line with camera off is better than not there at all. Other teachers aren't cool. You can tell the teachers who don't have kids of their own.

There's no saving this year. Hopefully colleges will just overlook it for anyone in HS now. If we really cared about the kids, we'd let them skip the rest of the year and find a way for club sports to be back up and running.
some teachers are doing a better job than others when it comes to all virtual. Some do full on lessons, discussion questions, try to keep students engaged.

Some meet for 10 minutes, give an assignment, and say “let’s check in later today”

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
some teachers are doing a better job than others when it comes to all virtual. Some do full on lessons, discussion questions, try to keep students engaged.

Some meet for 10 minutes, give an assignment, and say “let’s check in later today”
Most def 100% open for education.

• Haha
Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Most def 100% open for education.
I will say the following version of the Pledge of Allegiance every so often in the morning with my students. While they're saying the regular pledge they become aware I'm saying something different, but can't really tell what I'm saying. At the end they will look at me funny and I will say, "It's a free country." Other times I add "...except the prisoners at Guantanamo Bay" at the end. Again, they have no idea what I'm talking about.

EgB_TtdUMAESe04.jpg-large.jpeg

Reactions: hal9000 and Woke AF

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I say an hour of zooming is equals to two hours in the classroom.

It's really fatiguing.

Everyone should try it
Lazy fvcks. Its 6:30 am here and the wind chill is about 20*. There are trash trucks driving around. Please go tell the guy riding on the bumper grabbing frozen trash cans and dumping them in the back how fatiguing your one hour zoom at your part time job is. Cry me a fukking river. The school teacher martyr complex always trips me out.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Lazy fvcks. Its 6:30 am here and the wind chill is about 20*. There are trash trucks driving around. Please go tell the guy riding on the bumper grabbing frozen trash cans and dumping them in the back how fatiguing your one hour zoom at your part time job is. Cry me a fukking river. The school teacher martyr complex always trips me out.
sitting on a computer posting on message boards all day while pretending to sell toner must be very fatiguing.

probably fattening too.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
sitting on a computer posting on message boards all day while pretending to sell toner must be very fatiguing.

probably fattening too.
You don't hear me playing the martyr about my job......do you. Teachers play the martyr thing all the time. Cry me a river about your over-paid part time job with summers off, obscure holidays off and a couple of week long breaks in the middle of the year. Almost everyone has a harder job than school teachers. Teachers need to stop it with the faux-martyr act.

• Dislike
Reactions: CutnSnip

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
You don't hear me playing the martyr about my job......do you. Teachers play the martyr thing all the time. Cry me a river about your over-paid part time job with summers off, obscure holidays off and a couple of week long breaks in the middle of the year. Almost everyone has a harder job than school teachers. Teachers need to stop it with the faux-martyr act.

you are such a jersey meatball and a kook

we dont get paid for days off - salary is paid over 12 months

when was the last time you were responsible for keep 170 people in line for a whole day for months at a time?

not that easy Mr Meatball

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
Bingo. I doubt its even 20% that aren't tuning out of zoom. I popped home one day for lunch and my 15 year old has his laptop on zoom and him and his friend are playing Playstation on the big screen. If there's waves he sets up the zoom and goes surfing. I'd do the same thing if I was in his shoes. We both work so nobody is there to force him. Not going to start world war 3 with the kid over schoolwork in this fukked up situation.

so you quit as a parent bc the situation is messed up? What a great parent - way tp adapt and do what is right for your kid

easier to just sit back and blame the teachers and situation

What a loser parent

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
Cry me a river. So basically you get paid for 12 months for only working 9 months. You're off what at 3:30 every day. Sounds treacherous.

I know you are from jersey but i think you may understand - we get paid for 9 months - you can get all your money in 9 months or stretch it out over 12 - we only get paid for days we work

I am off at 5 30 am meatball

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: hal9000 and afoaf

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I know you are from jersey but i think you may understand - we get paid for 9 months - you can get all your money in 9 months or stretch it out over 12 - we only get paid for days we work

he‘s right you know. There is no summer paycheck.

Also......obscure holidays? You mean like Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter?

and if schools didn’t have those holidays off, how would you fly out to San Clemente to stuff your fat face with Carls Jr cheeseburgers?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
this is a guy who clearly has never done any meaningful amount of public speaking to large groups

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It's funny how you are wrong about everything.

I did manual labor from 15 to 35, doing more sh!t work than your fat ass ever did.

Teaching taxes a different system. I work every day. That is the weird thing about the job.

Try it some time, fat Carl.

You'll be crying like that little fat bitch that you are, "I want to go back to the print store and work the cash register! But first can we stop at Carl's Jr?"

PS, do you want to F your trash man?

The gay lock down is really seeping through.

Maybe that is why you over eat? :roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: Woke AF and hal9000

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
making anyone go into a situation of hundreds of kids when they are not vaccinated is bullshit.
I agree. People should not be compelled. And I would love to live in a community of people who look at the numbers and come to the same conclusion I do - the risk being with hundreds of unvaccinated kids is acceptable. And that's not a judgement on the people who come to a different conclusion, its just me wanting to live life as it makes sense to me.

Reactions: hal9000

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I know you are from jersey but i think you may understand - we get paid for 9 months - you can get all your money in 9 months or stretch it out over 12 -

we only get paid for days we work

I thought most contracts were for 10 months.

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
I thought most contracts were for 10 months.
you are correct...when i was teaching, my contracts were 9/1-6/30. i never had the option to spread my salary over 12 months, either. but that may have had more to do w/ the district(s) in which i taught. i have heard of many who were able to do that.

i worked 7 days/week when i was teaching...6 days on school stuff & 1 day at a surf shop that also served as my summer job. i'd also typically be in the building by 7am prepping & making sure everything was ready to go for my classes & i wouldn't leave till 4 or so most days due to meetings, talking to parents, etc...it was more taxing, in some ways, than what i do now. but i also enjoy what i do now more than i ever did teaching. i miss being able to scoot out early enough to grab afternoon sessions or road trip somewhere on a long weekend & having summers "off" to travel, though.