Akila Aipa's/Slater Designs' Twin release

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
good question.

boards that are harder work and more squirrelly than they need to be.

it seems obvious from watching footage and an honest self-analysis.

I remember when Jordy first came on Tour, he wasted the first 2 years riding tiny little boards that had no flow for him.

JJF looks so much better riding extra volume.

But you still see so many rec surfers struggling on squirrelly boards that lack drive because "that is their volume"

I realise this is all subjective AF.

I rode a FW FRK, and based on Slater recommendations I sized it down.

fukn hell, worst board I've ever ridden.

everything became hard and frustrating and lacking flow and drive.

probably would have worked better if I'd sized it up.

Reactions: paunch23 and Tomay

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
good question.

I remember when Jordy first came on Tour, he wasted the first 2 years riding tiny little boards that had no flow for him.

But you still see so many rec surfers struggling on squirrelly boards that lack drive because "that is their volume"

When was the last time you rode an overvolumed HPSB in good waves?

Reactions: Tomay

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Doesn't he live near a world-class right-hand pointbreak?

good question.

Did JJF add length and volume or just volume? Where can I look up his dims and his height/weight?

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
I've been seeing a few people talking about this recently here. I am curious what advantages there are to going overvolumed with a HPSB? I feel like it will be less responsive and harder to put on rail? How much more volume are you talking? When the waves are good/hollow/powerful I feel like I want less volume to really put myself in the right spot (pocket) and take advantage of sections as they present themselves.

Reactions: MathDebater

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I've been seeing a few people talking about this recently here. I am curious what advantages there are to going overvolumed with a HPSB? I feel like it will be less responsive and harder to put on rail? How much more volume are you talking? When the waves are good/hollow/powerful I feel like I want less volume to really put myself in the right spot (pocket) and take advantage of sections as they present themselves.
I'm curious what the advantage is as well.

My experiences have been negative, especially in waves that are even the least bit critical, starting with setting up the takeoff.

I've always thought in most situations it's better to be a little bit undervolumed than overvolumed.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
How do you define over-volumed?

I got boards of varying volumes.

I can put a 40+ litre 7'3" Parmenter on rail.

how could I not turn a 6'0"?

volume is just one more parameter.

Almost invariably the first thing that happens when good surfers go up in volume is their surfing looks better.

This under-volumed thing seems to be more of a Californian fixation. Maybe it's because of Noel salas>?

not sure.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I'm curious what the advantage is as well.

My experiences have been negative, especially in waves that are even the least bit critical, starting with setting up the takeoff.

I've always thought in most situations it's better to be a little bit undervolumed than overvolumed.
my 6'1" Ghost is more volume than I ride typically and knifes in better than any board I've ever ridden.
I could scale it up to a 6'3" with more volume still and with appropriate foil for me it would knife in just as well or better.

Sounds like a lot of guys on here after your winter are realising that a board sometimes needs to paddle.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
my 6'1" Ghost is more volume than I ride typically and knifes in better than any board I've ever ridden.
I could scale it up to a 6'3" with more volume still and with appropriate foil for me it would knife in just as well or better.

Sounds like a lot of guys on here after your winter are realising that a board sometimes needs to paddle.
It's all very relative to the wave and the board and the period.

And just because a board has more volume doesn't mean it's easier to paddle or catch waves.

In terms of HPSBs, my lowest volume board paddles and catches waves almost as well as my highest volume board. Both are better than the ones inbetween.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
It's all very relative to the wave and the board and the period.

And just because a board has more volume doesn't mean it's easier to paddle or catch waves.

My lowest volume board paddles and catches waves almost as well as my highest volume board. Both HPSBs of very different shaper flavor.
Seems like there's a lot more to this than volume. What're the dims/outlines/rockers of these HPSBs?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Seems like there's a lot more to this than volume. What're the dims/outlines/rockers of these HPSBs?
One rocker is staged and not extreme
The other very curvy rail rocker.
Both have a little more volume carried toward the rails and a little more volume than I like towards the nose.
Both have the same dims.
24L vs 23.3L

I have had two boards 5'8 @ 24.3L that felt way too big and floaty but a 5'8 26.5 L board that felt just right.

These differences are mostly indiscernible to guys 170 lbs+ but @ 145lbs you can feel the difference.

Reactions: PRCD

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
good question.

that’s whyAverage fw rider sizes up like 10 liters

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
psychosomatic.
Not really.

The 26.5 really surprised me in that it floated me just a nick better than my other boards.

The 24.3s (had two of these) that felt like boats both had volume distributed towards the rails and very full rails at that. Both were even noticeably different duckdiving as well vs my boards that were a 0.5L or so less.

I played around a lot with these different boards at Gas Chambers in Hawaii and learned a lot over a 2 week period. Especially when wanting to avoid takeoff disasters and noticing how much of a beating I would take paddling out.

There is so much more to boards than volume.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I dunno mate.

watching Mason Ho ride boards of wildly different volume, JOB get shacked at Pipe on a blobby soft top thats 40l+......

I'd say if you cannot make the drop it's an archer not an arrow issue.

But you've probably answered your own query there about "over-volumed" shortboards.

ie "There is so much more to boards than volume."