Catfight at Pipeline

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Lawyers killed localism. Lawyers gave weaklings a false sense of security. Lawyers have pretty much ruined everything that used to be good about America.

Now they're trying to put us deeper in the hole with COVID. Legal system needs a reset and to go back to the basics.

See "color of law."
Lawyers = effect
Shitty parenting = cause

Changing the legal system won’t mitigate the cause.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Lawyers killed localism. Lawyers gave weaklings a false sense of security. Lawyers have pretty much ruined everything that used to be good about America.

Now they're trying to put us deeper in the hole with COVID. Legal system needs a reset and to go back to the basics.

See "color of law."
What was it Shakespeare said... "First thing we do is kill all the lawyers"

Reactions: Jonahbrah

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Lawyers are just the new lineup enforcers - it benefits them to represent the many rather than the old method of enforcement which catered to protecting the few

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I always liked

"mo better go home cook rice"

Someone said that to me the other day regarding the surf. Of course the transplants dont get it.

• Haha
Reactions: PPK96754

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
the reality that you should even need to block for a 70yr old dude pisses me off.
I get so pissed when I see young adults call off, back paddle, under paddle or drop in on him. One of nicest people in the world and has been surfing this spot forever. Used to charge when he was physically able.
Anytime he is position to catch anything there's a few of us that block for him and/or yell him into waves regardless if anyone is up. If anyone complains they get an ear full from those in the know.
Unfortunately, over the last 10 or so years this spot has become overrun with brobra blow ins that have no clue as to who's who and have zero respect for us aging regulars.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I get so pissed when I see young adults call off, back paddle, under paddle or drop in on him. One of nicest people in the world and has been surfing this spot forever. Used to charge when he was physically able.
Anytime he is position to catch anything there's a few of us that block for him and/or yell him into waves regardless if anyone is up. If anyone complains they get an ear full from those in the know.
Unfortunately, over the last 10 or so years this spot has become overrun with brobra blow ins that have no clue as to who's who and have zero respect for us aging regulars.
its like that everywhere in california, maybe the world. with few exceptions theres an entire generation thats blind to their context. seriously makes you wonder how perspective could be lost on so many and where they think this heading for everyone that survives their youth.

i see it more and more. taking off deep on the peak and theres some kid (anyone under 40) windmilling it on the shoulder. i always make a point of paddling up and explaining things to them after i kick out

Reactions: urchined

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
its like that everywhere in california, maybe the world. with few exceptions theres an entire generation thats blind to their context. seriously makes you wonder how perspective could be lost on so many and where they think this heading for everyone that survives their youth.
It's not lost on them. They just don't care. And deep down they know they'll be gone and quit surfing well before they turn 60 or 70.

If I was an old guy I would just drop in on anyone and everyone that I didn't know. I kind of do that now and I'm not old. But, I only do it to people who try to snake me.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
some people don't know the rules (Brazilians). why should they? they're not a surfing culture. they're NEW to the sport. I'm just using Brasil as an example. Hawaiians on the other hand, have it in their dna.

I could have said any other nation besides the US Hawaii and Australia probably....

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
some people don't know the rules (Brazilians). why should they? they're not a surfing culture. they're NEW to the sport.
I don't know about that. I've spent about 6 months there over the course of several trips. Brazil is more of a beach culture (far inlanders excluded) than just about anywhere in the world. They've had a surf culture there for a very long time.

As for the stereotypical Brazzo in Indo/Hawaii/etc everyone loves to hate, I think that's more a function of them coming from a high enough upper class to afford being able to travel the world with a crap currency. With that kind of money in a country with that high of wealth inequality, you can basically walk all over people and they will still wash your feet afterwards. There is also an intensity to the culture that comes from living in such a high crime city like Rio.

Like brukuns pointed out, your working class Brazzos surfer tend to be more polite.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Watched some locals fight with some other locals last week. neither group knew each other but I knew them both.

wfh is shifting people’s normal surf hour and causing all sorts of intra-local battles.

Lulz.

Reactions: daave and npsp

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I block for 70 year olds all the time. Sheeet, I block for 60 year olds. Most of them been surfing my local since before I was born.
There is a few old timers at my spot. If they turn and put there head down- regardless if they may blow the wave. I dont even think of paddling for it.

Reactions: npsp

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Watched some locals fight with some other locals last week. neither group knew each other but I knew them both.

wfh is shifting people’s normal surf hour and causing all sorts of intra-local battles.

Lulz.
Yes. That's a different but interesting dynamic.
I've surfed Blacks for most of my life but I don't think I've ever shared a session with Truth, even though we know a bunch of the same regulars.
Another odd dynamic is surfing with someone for years and years but don't know their name. Then you run into them at Costco with significant others and there's that awkward moment of trying to introduce spouses...

Reactions: paunch23 and jkb