Catfight at Pipeline

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I don't know about that. I've spent about 6 months there over the course of several trips. Brazil is more of a beach culture (far inlanders excluded) than just about anywhere in the world. They've had a surf culture there for a very long time.

As for the stereotypical Brazzo in Indo/Hawaii/etc everyone loves to hate, I think that's more a function of them coming from a high enough upper class to afford being able to travel the world with a crap currency. With that kind of money in a country with that high of wealth inequality, you can basically walk all over people and they will still wash your feet afterwards. There is also an intensity to the culture that comes from living in such a high crime city like Rio.

Like brukuns pointed out, your working class Brazzos surfer tend to be more polite.

This is one of the better takes I've heard here.
Most Brazilians I know that travel frequently or emigrate come from upper middle class backgrounds that afford them the security to do so.

The "it's in one's DNA" take is bullshit. It's in your socialization. You learn how to act from the people around you.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I think you also have to show a certain amount of wealth to stay in certain countries, right?
If you are coming from a “third world” country you likely need to have a bank account with at least $5k cash in it, and/or proof that you are a relatively well paid professional on your home country. Or at least from a family that is, some will have tourist visas that are still valid that there parents obtained for a trip to Disney world or some shiat. You basically have to prove that you do not need to move for economic reasons.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
um, when will dumerika realize it's in large parts a big part of the third world? and that there are many many places in the third world where one lives better, on less, and sleeps sounder at night due to lack of worries the first world seems to plague its citizens with, regardless of nationality.

personally? the 1st world can stuff it. it sucks donkey dix. highly overrated, and way too over priced, for carp that you don't want, don't need and can't afford, but seem to have to have if you have the misfortune of having been born into the whole keep up with the jones's thing.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
people pay 3-6 grand to hop on a wood boat, made from wood that's 100% not even seaworthy, and way overcrowded, just for a chance to "make it" to the canary islands from the west coast of africa.

there's no known number of them that miss and just go adrift.

all that, because you have "no papers". but could easily afford to pay for first class flights and hotels.

risk a life, just because your country knows that keeping people unregistered and without papers, keeps them enslaved for longer.

what a world we live in, huh?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
um, when will dumerika realize it's in large parts a big part of the third world? and that there are many many places in the third world where one lives better, on less, and sleeps sounder at night due to lack of worries the first world seems to plague its citizens with, regardless of nationality.
Which is why I put "3rd world" in quotes. My statement was only in the context of what our govt deems the countries that require a visa application process to visit.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
If you are coming from a “third world” country you likely need to have a bank account with at least $5k cash in it, and/or proof that you are a relatively well paid professional on your home country. Or at least from a family that is, some will have tourist visas that are still valid that there parents obtained for a trip to Disney world or some shiat. You basically have to prove that you do not need to move for economic reasons.
They also want to know if you have attachment of some kind to your country. If you are employed, if you have assets in your name, family... basically they want assurances that you have reasons to get your ass back to where it came from once you're done dumping your vacation money. lol

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

personally? the 1st world can stuff it. it sucks donkey dix. highly overrated, and way too over priced, for carp that you don't want, don't need and can't afford, but seem to have to have if you have the misfortune of having been born into the whole keep up with the jones's thing.
people pay 3-6 grand to hop on a wood boat, made from wood that's 100% not even seaworthy, and way overcrowded, just for a chance to "make it" to the canary islands from the west coast of africa.

there's no known number of them that miss and just go adrift.

all that, because you have "no papers". but could easily afford to pay for first class flights and hotels.

risk a life, just because your country knows that keeping people unregistered and without papers, keeps them enslaved for longer.

what a world we live in, huh?

yes,

but,

huh?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
They also want to know if you have attachment of some kind to your country. If you are employed, if you have assets in your name, family... basically they want assurances that you have reasons to get your ass back to where it came from once you're done dumping your vacation money. lol
This. We used to run my buddy's dad's boat over to Port Lucaya on Memorial Day, then come back on July 4th and bring it stateside in advance of the hurricanes. We'd buy a roundtrip plane ticket from the Bahamas to the USA, first leg to get back after the crossing, second to fly out to retrieve the boat.

In Fort Lauderdale airport, July 4th, basically weren't going to be given boarding passes unless we could prove we were f-----g off. Buddy had to on-the-spot buy four refundable one way tickets before they'd print our boarding passes.

You'd think a place so hilariously dependent on the US would give less of a f--k about people coming over, especially given the Bahamas has pretty permissive property ownership laws and other laws very, very favorable to Americans.

I can at least understand someone from Honduras or El Salvador, they're probably willing to do some miserable ass work for not very much money.

How the f--k you looked at 20-something me and my friends, cruise ship kids, and parrotheads and think your countrymen are going to get outworked by this Mos Eisley cantina band of f--kups I'll never know.

Anywho that's also the hot real estate tip. You pick off somewhere in the Bahamas an easy strike from a viable trade swell spot, and presto, you've got warm water, decent surf consistency and quality especially compared to Florida, probably less crowds, and the fishing/snorkelling etc. potential is otherworldly. And it's a quick/easy to and fro get back to good ol' US and A.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
The thing is, in the 1st world, you have the freedom to live a minimalist existence if you really wanted to, or if you felt that you do not need much in order to enjoy life and be happy. But you can still count on the benefits of the 1st world if you are ever in a jam

It doesn't work the other way living in the 3rd world country.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Stability. That’s a first world country thing.

It’s stable. It’s going to remain stable. There isn’t a disaster that’s going to seriously kill hundreds of thousands or destroy tons of infrastructure. An earthquake will do some damage and so will a hurricane. But first world countries have the ability to respond quickly and efficiently.

If something like Katrina hits indo or Philippines? Catastrophic. As was the case with the 2004 Tsunami.

I’m not even mentioning medical care, govt stability, etc

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
2nd world is the place to be. Cheap healthcare performed by doctors that know what they're doing, bribe-able cops, fast wifi, good food. Bali, Mexico, Thailand, Greece, etc.
Again. Stability is the separating factor.

Not saying second world sucks but when sht goes down they aren’t as resilent

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Yes. That's a different but interesting dynamic.
I've surfed Blacks for most of my life but I don't think I've ever shared a session with Truth, even though we know a bunch of the same regulars.
Another odd dynamic is surfing with someone for years and years but don't know their name. Then you run into them at Costco with significant others and there's that awkward moment of trying to introduce spouses...
im sh!t with names. My wife and I have a system. If we run into someone that knows me and I DON‘T introduce my wife (the signal that I don’t know their name) then she introduces herself and asks for his/her name.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
2nd world is the place to be. Cheap healthcare performed by doctors that know what they're doing, bribe-able cops, fast wifi, good food. Bali, Mexico, Thailand, Greece, etc.
Mexico considered second world? surprised if it is. The idea of walking around in any mexican bigish city gives me the hibbie jibbies. I don't think a place as violent as Mexico can be considered 2nd world. Where I live is no walk in the park, but Mexico is downright scary (at least that's the vibe I get from it, never been)

Reactions: SurfFuerteventura