Makua VLOG

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Are you saying there's some difference in that fancy book learning between a golf pro and one of the Fletcher brothers?
Golfers tend to be richer in general. People who hang out with the rich are usually richer.

Surfing is an UMC thing. Most of us don't have real money.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The guy he burned maybe would've had the wave of the winter if he hadn't been forced to straighten out.

Probably.

This is a huge racket in CA. Housing is one of the biggest ones. Big corporations will even donate money to these and have no idea how it's spent. It's a friend of a friend thing.

At beach breaks the best guys tend to get a lot more waves than the average surfers. They position better, have better paddle power, and sit deeper on peak. I remember surfing Northside HB pier next to Timmy Reyes back when he was still on tour. He told a friend he'd already gotten 24 waves when he paddled out later than me and I only had half a dozen.
No. Not “probably”.

Reactions: racer1 and PRCD

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
If you think you are going to hop off a plane and get a wave like that at Pipe you are delusional. Sooooo many people would have burned that guy. Derek Ho would have burned that guy. Eli Olson. Hell, I can think of a lifeguard or two who might have done it. Maybe you could have better luck at Rockies. Maybe.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
If you think you are going to hop off a plane and get a wave like that at Pipe you are delusional. Sooooo many people would have burned that guy. Derek Ho would have burned that guy. Eli Olson. Hell, I can think of a lifeguard or two who might have done it. Maybe you could have better luck at Rockies. Maybe.
This is the hard cold reality.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
How competitive are the B and C grade spots? I haven't really surfed at all on Oahu (mainly stick to Kauai and Big Island)

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
So this Makua duuu seems like a punk who cries to daddy for protection when he does something worth a beatdown (?)
Thats exactly what he did in 2011 with TJ Barron. They exchanged words at Pipe and TJ got the better of Makua in a Scrap.

Makua went and found his daddy and rolled up to the billabong house with Kaiborg in Tow and they took everyones phones and slapped them around (TJ wasn't there) and told them the pipe masters was to end that day. Which is why they ran it that year in crap waves.

Whats funny is TJ is a native hawaiian local and makua was so butt hurt he got his ego bruised he still went and cried to daddy.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Healey Vlog is kind of interesting to watch. I like the big wave parts and the hunting and free diving. Although I'd imagine there's not a huge audience for that with the target demographic.

Zeke Lau Vlog isn't bad. It is mostly surfing. Doesn't do that much talking.

I just want to see surfing. I don't mind when they discuss gear since I am kind of a gear dork. Zeke Lau did an episode on all of his CI quiver and I liked watching it and hearing about the designs. But, I don't want to hear about what magical CBD elixir you drink or how this energy bar helps you surf pipe.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I like Nathan Florence's seems like a humble nice guy and gives some tips for the rest of us non pros, had a great episode on big wave duckdiving.
He talked about paddling when he had his very strange father come along for surfing. Sounded like he had been to some sort of course or lesson on paddling/muscles/joints.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
How competitive are the B and C grade spots? I haven't really surfed at all on Oahu (mainly stick to Kauai and Big Island)
It's crowded and everybody surfs pretty good - like they can all position well, take late drops, get barreled, do turns. So, yeah, it's competitive. And with the whole world rotating through during the season at some point you just have to say "sorry I don't know you" and go.