Blank shortage

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
So... blanks are scarce out here, at least oversized blanks. My boards are thick, so I’m looking at quite a wait for a new 6’4” and 6’9” I just ordered. Just picked up one of Twiggy’s 9’0”s from last year as a big Sunset board, but other than that I am hearing “long wait on all new customs.” Surf shops also nearly sold out of popular wetsuit sizes, leashes, even running low on wax?!?! Is this the secondary effect of the look influx??? Is this a problem in CA? What’s happening here people?
Unless you're 230 lbs of steel, maybe it's time for diet and strength program so you can get on a thinner board.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
The CEO of USB told me they were having an issue with a key chemical they need. That cratered things a bit. Millennium has no issue for some reason. The demand on the west coast is insane. Everyone is raising their prices. Everyone is buried. Glassing is a serious bottleneck over here.
Millennium is a huge company, surfboard blanks is a side thing for them, I think. They manufacture a bunch of other things like tires, so they buy larger quantites of chemicals than anybody else, which gives them leverage when it comes to getting supplies. From what the rep told me they got plenty of supplies so they shouldn't have any problems producing blanks.

On the wavestorm front, I heard costco won't be able to get any wavestorms for a while, maybe a long while, production problems like everyone else, I can't remeber who told me this though. The one positive thing about the virus, I guess.

Unfortunately I think things are going to get worse before they get better, longer waits for boards, short supply on wetsuits, fins etc.....

Reactions: JDJ and racer1

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Millennium is a huge company, surfboard blanks is a side thing for them, I think. They manufacture a bunch of other things like tires, so they buy larger quantites of chemicals than anybody else, which gives them leverage when it comes to getting supplies. From what the rep told me they got plenty of supplies so they shouldn't have any problems producing blanks.
That matches up pretty much with what Beau and Seth have told me.

I've heard certain players are running into Costco and buying all the WaveStorms up and then marking them up and re selling them. Enterprising little fvcks.

Reactions: caelho

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
I've heard certain players are running into Costco and buying all the WaveStorms up and then marking them up and re selling them. Enterprising little fvcks.
Is this recently, or was it before or at the beginning of covid? As far I as know costco hasn't had any wavestorms in a year. Just curios

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Is this recently, or was it before or at the beginning of covid? As far I as know costco hasn't had any wavestorms in a year. Just curios
I haven't really kept up with how this has gone. I just looked at the Costco website and you can get the 8 footer for $179.00 Then if you go to Amazon you can find the same board for 279.00. Beats me.

A few weeks back there was a car pulled over on the side of the freeway and their were like 5 Wave Storms strewn all over the slow lane. Surfing is hard.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Can you really have fun not catching waves?

It's like going to the night club when you are 21 and the hot guys are getting all the hot girls.

Get me out of here!
It's weird but they just sit there. Only kind of paddling for the odd wave that pops up near them. I paddle around/under/behind them the whole session. They usually only sit out there for an hour or so and catch a couple waves.