If you left California, where would you move?

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Because you’ll die. Especially in Baja.

I don’t think Mexico is for most people that haven’t spent a lot of time here, and I’m not talking about a few 10 day vacations with interspersed long weekend trips. The beyond the vacation life is a horse of a different hue. Starting with the language barrier. Then there’s the “culture” you can’t see from rental bungalow at Play la Ropa.

The economy is tanked and there is lots of real estate on the market at fire sale prices. For the vast majority of people, they’d be better off long term leasing.

First and foremost - bring your own money. If there is a great investment opportunity it isn’t gonna be offered to you by your new best friends.
I think NIca is similar ... visiting somewhere and living somewhere are two different things. There's no shortage of people who have moved here and end up moving back after a few months. I was talking to a friend of mine who came down recently and met people on the flight down who were buying property/lots sight unseen ... crazy.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I left CA for somewhere I never thought I'd move to and I'm so glad I did. Everything is objectively better. My house is twice the size for half the mortgage

The only thing I miss is surfing, and even that's like an addiction where you don't miss it as much as you think you would when you're not all up in it.

If I moved somewhere else it would be any of the Four Corners or Florida. I love Florida
what do you do for kicks now?

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Alaska might be a good choice if you want to still be in the USA and you want to surf. You can live close to the ocean there. You'd definitely need a decent boat to give yourself access.

Winters would be tough but you could snowboard/ski to offset your surfing downtime.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
No cold for me please. I want to live like Truth.
That pretty much means foreign.... I remember back in the day when the rule in Indo over in the Mentawais was to never get off the boat. Malaria, Dengue fever, ect.... Times have changed and it's a lot more benign environment for a Haole.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
thought it had it all figured out being in indo full time but.....miss sd winter

will figure out how to stay here for 8 months and sd for late fall winter

california is a good place- would like to come home for la jolla waves

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
thought it had it all figured out being in indo full time but.....miss sd winter

will figure out how to stay here for 8 months and sd for late fall winter

california is a good place- would like to come home for la jolla waves
You have lived in the bush. Any Malaria???? Take your pills???

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Just read a documentary about aussies living in Papua/New Gunea The territories. Copra farmers. Copra produces Glycerine for high explosives. Every tribe, and there are 100's of them have a name of "We Are the People". They all have different languages. If you are not of the people, you are on the dinner menu.....

Off of India. The Nicobars. Off limits. These people are still stone age. Some dickhead paddled up a year ago and was feathered by arrows. Probably ended up in a cook pot.......There was no rescue party.....

Last edited:

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Long Pork. Better than canned Bully beef and tuna.

This is a true quote from New Guinea. Japanese people tasted like fish.....

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
I have no desire to leave mid-coastal Orange County. If I did, the one place in this country where I have felt at home is in the Front Range area of Colorado, particularly in Boulder.
but heard Fado closed??