4/3 recommendations

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Gloves come out at 53/52 for me.

Hoods, more like 49. If I don't feel seriously in danger of passing out while duck diving, no thanks.
Opposite for me, I have been wearing a hood alot since my ears have gotten worse, help keep plugs in and wind out of ears.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Gloves come out at 53/52 for me.

Hoods, more like 49. If I don't feel seriously in danger of passing out while duck diving, no thanks.
I usually alternate between taking the hood off and putting on throughout the session regardless of temperature. I've definitely pulled it on hurriedly mid-stroke while scrambling to avoid cleanup sets before.

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I usually alternate between taking the hood off and putting on throughout the session regardless of temperature. I've definitely pulled it on hurriedly mid-stroke while scrambling to avoid cleanup sets before.
I've never felt like a bigger donkey than the first few times I wore a hood, and thinking about Peter Devries launching airs all over the place in that thing. Or New Jersey guys sticking crazy late drops, with all that heavy sh!t on, and a hood.

Also I'm with Kento, there's a Vietnamese restaurant between home and the cold front/North wind go-to. Any afternoon weekend session in the Winter, BOOM.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Have banged. Would bang again.

Worst for me is hard paddle back out, over heat, pull off hood, see more sets on the horizon, contemplate purpose in life, pucker, pull hood back on, repeat.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Nobody likes hoods but you get used to them pretty quick and once you have and its 57 or below with windchill or no sun its an easy choice (for me). Plus a hood will certainly help prevent ear problems, which are inevitable for any hardcore surfer after at most 10 years. That being said aside from wind chill Bay Area water very rarely dips below 54, hoods aren't a necessity, it's not that cold like NE coast for example.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
That being said aside from wind chill Bay Area water very rarely dips below 54, hoods aren't a necessity, it's not that cold like NE coast for example.
Not true once you get north of the bridge.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Holy hell, look at that Spring/Summer variance.

Attn SF-Marin-Sonoma zones:

The anti-vaxx, off-med holistic trip isn't working. Call up Big Pharma, tell them to whip up some happy pills, extra chemmy, and take 2 daily.

Your water temps out the front are like the schizo homeless out the front. Just rando screaming at you apropo of jack sh!t.

Ain't nothin on its meds out there fuck me.

• Haha
Reactions: johnson7

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
rarely? Let’s take a look...

View attachment 99825

and of course just an earshot to the north

View attachment 99826
I stand corrected. I was basing an assumption on what I usually see on surfline but before I posted I googled and this following paragraph came up first-

Water temperature in Ocean Beach San Francisco today is 16.2°C/61.2°F. Based on our historical data over a period of ten years, the warmest sea in this day in Ocean Beach San Francisco was recorded in 2015 and was 16.5°C/61.7°F, and the coldest was recorded in 2013 at 12.6°C/54.7°F.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
+1 for surf ears

I reluctantly bought a pair after getting frustrated with not being able to hear with wax plugs and trying a couple other pairs of nicer plugs that didn't fit right. They give you so many attachments you can dial the fit in nice.

Maybe the only downside is that they look kinda bougie? The other day some tool was trying to pick a fight with me for not living close enough to a crowded, well-known break. When I tried to ignore him I got hit with a "what are you listening to music or something!?" :LOL:

So maybe that's actually a +1 for wax plugs lmao

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Please tell me you responded with: "Yep! Starland Vocal Band. Would you like a listen?"
I wish I could have come up with something that clever! Really I was just trying to avoid the entire situation :confused:, I want nothing to do with that aspect of surf culture