Can we talk about the keto diet?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The best diet for losing weight is the one that you stick with
And reduces your caloric intake so that it’s less than the calories you burn

I’m having a diet issue
I like getting high, but when I get high, I have no self control once I start eating
I don’t think kenos going to help that
cowabunga
rg
I tried to smoke weed instead of drink to cut some body fat but I just got the munchies.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY

I’m having a diet issue
I like getting high, but when I get high, I have no self control once I start eating
cowabunga
rg
I am so grateful that I don’t get the munchies like I did as a teen and 20-something. My above post would be a sham lol

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006

I’m having a diet issue
cowabunga
rg
You fucking pot head.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
:ROFLMAO:
Agreed on your overall post. Muscle health should be prioritized at the same level that we care for our heart, brain, teeth, bones etc

Didn't I say 56 or 60 in my original post?

Just letting you know, I didn't ghost, and I did read a bunch of peer-reviewed papers. What's interesting is the ranges of recommended protein intakes. As best as I can tell the recommendation for "regular" folk is like 0.8-1.0g/kg and something like twice that for people undergoing regimented resistance training aimed at building muscle, AND for older people who are probably at risk of losing muscle mass.

I'm not sure where that would put most surfers.

This one is surprising, but also beware sample size:

Abstract
Comparison of protein intakes on strength, body composition and hormonal changes were examined in 23 experienced collegiate strength/power athletes participating in a 12-week resistance training program. Subjects were stratified into three groups depending upon their daily consumption of protein; below recommended levels (BL; 1.0 – 1.4 g·kg-1·day-1; n = 8), recommended levels (RL; 1.6 – 1.8 g·kg-1·day-1; n = 7) and above recommended levels (AL; > 2.0 g·kg-1·day-1; n = 8). Subjects were assessed for strength [one-repetition maximum (1-RM) bench press and squat] and body composition. Resting blood samples were analyzed for total testosterone, cortisol, growth hormone, and insulin-like growth factor. No differences were seen in energy intake (3,171 ± 577 kcal) between the groups, and the energy intake for all groups were also below the recommended levels for strength/power athletes. No significant changes were seen in body mass, lean body mass or fat mass in any group. Significant improvements in 1-RM bench press and 1-RM squat were seen in all three groups, however no differences between the groups were observed. Subjects in AL experienced a 22% and 42% greater change in Δ 1-RM squat and Δ 1-RM bench press than subjects in RL, however these differences were not significant. No significant changes were seen in any of the resting hormonal concentrations. The results of this study do not provide support for protein intakes greater than recommended levels in collegiate strength/power athletes for body composition improvements, or alterations in resting hormonal concentrations.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
and this one

Results Data from 49 studies with 1863 participants showed that dietary protein supplementation significantly (all p<0.05) increased changes (means (95% CI)) in: strength—one-repetition-maximum (2.49 kg (0.64, 4.33)), FFM (0.30 kg (0.09, 0.52)) and muscle size—muscle fibre cross-sectional area (CSA; 310 µm2 (51, 570)) and mid-femur CSA (7.2 mm2 (0.20, 14.30)) during periods of prolonged RET. The impact of protein supplementation on gains in FFM was reduced with increasing age (−0.01 kg (−0.02,–0.00), p=0.002) and was more effective in resistance-trained individuals (0.75 kg (0.09, 1.40), p=0.03). Protein supplementation beyond total protein intakes of 1.62 g/kg/day resulted in no further RET-induced gains in FFM.
Summary/conclusion Dietary protein supplementation significantly enhanced changes in muscle strength and size during prolonged RET in healthy adults. Increasing age reduces and training experience increases the efficacy of protein supplementation during RET. With protein supplementation, protein intakes at amounts greater than ~1.6 g/kg/day do not further contribute RET-induced gains in FFM.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Didn't I say 56 or 60 in my original post?
Yes, which is low for many adults and based on RDAs. The NPR/BBC/NYT articles you linked were still using that outdated number as the context for their articles. Even with that, the NPR article listed a study with improved outcomes from people who bumped that up to 90 grams/day, which may be sufficient for small-to-average sized adults with low activity levels.

As best as I can tell the recommendation for "regular" folk is like 0.8-1.0g/kg and something like twice that for people undergoing regimented resistance training aimed at building muscle, AND for older people who are probably at risk of losing muscle mass.

I'm not sure where that would put most surfers.
IMO anyone who does any sort of activity or exercise on a regular basis, especially if that results in muscle soreness, needs closer to +1.5 g/kg. Most of the studies you linked cited similar numbers. Even with your last link, that treatment with the lower protein amount was still in the 1-1.4 g/kg range, which is going to be greater than 60 grams for most adult males.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Yes, which is low for many adults and based on RDAs. The NPR/BBC/NYT articles you linked were still using that outdated number as the context for their articles. Even with that, the NPR article listed a study with improved outcomes from people who bumped that up to 90 grams/day, which may be sufficient for small-to-average sized adults with low activity levels.

IMO anyone who does any sort of activity or exercise on a regular basis, especially if that results in muscle soreness, needs closer to +1.5 g/kg. Most of the studies you linked cited similar numbers. Even with your last link, that treatment with the lower protein amount was still in the 1-1.4 g/kg range, which is going to be greater than 60 grams for most adult males.

Yeah, you were right, and that's what I learned from reading these articles. It definitely seems more beneficial to be on the higher (1.2-1.6) at least if you're putting your body through some stress.

Thanks for posting those links, it led me down a very interesting rabbit hole of reading published work on the topic, learning some interesting stuff on the way.

Reactions: grapedrink

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Are you stress eating due to the home repair work?

Or, the project is done and you can't stop celebrating?
Project nearly done - no need to get officials involved, so that’s pretty good
And I just like being a little high
cowabunga
rg

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Chicken fried steak and eggs for breakfast at 1030. A moderate sized New York at 4pm is what I ate for the day.

I mix it up with salmon

Reactions: Ifallalot
Jul 1, 2020
New South Wales Sydney
I can say from my own experience that you can achieve great results on a keto diet. Roughly speaking, you lose weight right before your eyes. Although I was against such a diet before, I strongly denied the positive aspects of the keto diet, but my sister convinced me. She told me how thanks to the Keto diet plan for fast weight loss, she lost 8 kg in 2 months, then I decided to reconsider my views on this diet. After this situation, I made two conclusions, the first is that the keto diet is the most effective diet for weight loss, and the second is that sometimes you need to go over your principles.

Last edited:

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I'm 3 weeks in on a keto diet. Lost one chin.
No gluten either. Only 2 glasses of wine in 3 weeks. I've had some vodka sodas with lime but not drinking every day. I am sleeping so much better without sugar. Unbelievable.

Had very little power saturday in overhead surf. Feeling sluggish out there. Ate some rice Saturday night and Sunday still overhead and I felt good. Note to self. Eat some carbs the night before a surf.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
...vegetable-based for sure
At 50 the consequences of no longer managing my carb intake was immediately noticeable. I have gone back to low carb but I do indulge during times of more surfing opportunities.
FWIW, peanut butter really undid all my hard work fast.

Reactions: gbg

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
...vegetable-based for sure
At 50 the consequences of no longer managing my carb intake was immediately noticeable. I have gone back to low carb but I do indulge during times of more surfing opportunities.
FWIW, peanut butter really undid all my hard work fast.
Why PB?