Mental Health thread

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I have to zoom teach all day. So I will wait.

Drinking doesn't make me drunk when I teach, it compromises my cognitive firepower .

Don't ask me how I know this.

I need what cognitive firepower I have left to deal with 25 18 year olds in a zoom.
Zoom Doom. Your Doom is Zoom.

Feeling Great by the great psychiatrist David Burns, MD is out today.
The antidepressant effects of Feeling Good have since been confirmed in many published studies. For example, Dr. Forrest Scogin from the University of Alabama reported that if you simply hand a copy of this book to individuals seeking treatment for moderate to severe depression, 65% of them will recover or improve substantially within four weeks without any other treatment. In addition, two- and three-year follow-up studies have revealed that these individuals continue to improve on their own without psychotherapy or antidepressant medications. Many other researchers have since confirmed that the effects of Feeling Good “bibliotherapy” (reading therapy) are comparable to the effects of anti-depressant medications or psychotherapy. These findings are exciting because a paperback copy of Feeling Good is far cheaper than treatment with drugs or psychotherapy, and there are no side effects!

But what about the other side of the coin? What about the 35% who didn’t recover or improve after reading Feeling Good? Why did they remain stuck? How did they differ from the people who recovered in four weeks? I thought if I could figure that out, then it might lead to another treatment breakthrough. After conducting thousands of therapy sessions with individuals struggling with severe depression and anxiety, and publishing many research studies to learn why psychotherapy succeeds or fails, I believe I found the answer, and that’s why I’ve written Feeling Great. In contrast to Feeling Good, which was all about the cognitive revolution, this book is all about the motivation revolution. It is based on the simple idea that we sometimes get “stuck” in depression and anxiety because we have mixed feelings about recovery. Although we may be suffering and desperately want to change, there may be powerful conflicting forces that keep us stuck. As strange as this might sound, part of you may fight against—or resist—the very change you’re yearning for.

This is what Freud called “resistance” way back at the beginning of psychoanalysis. Although most therapists since Freud have given lip service to resistance, very few (if any) have explained why we resist change or how to solve this problem. And that’s where this book comes in: Through a new approach called TEAM-CBT, you can overcome this resistance and achieve recovery quickly. The TEAM approach evolved from my clinical experience and research on how psychotherapy actually works. It preserves all the best elements of CBT described in my first book, but it works much faster.

D. Burns, David. Feeling Great: The Revolutionary New Treatment for Depression and Anxiety (p. 16). PESI Publishing & Media. Kindle Edition.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Most people get stuck because getting unstuck has a high resource cost.

The nervous system loves to spare resources. For many the ANS rules the cognitive system. Balance is the key

I don't want to Zoom.

IT hurts my eyes.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
About 4 years sober, managed to do it on my own. For anybody struggling, don't think about the good times you had drinking, think of the bad times.This has helped me when I got the urge.
Where you focus your attention is good.

Narrow frames can be good!

Ice baths and saunas too

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I freaking love beer, but I know it does nothing good for me. The stress relief is a bandaid. The calories don't help and the impaired judgement make me say dumb things and/or do dumb things. Only drink a few beers a year since 2013 and I gotta say that I don't miss it. I'm not anti beer, I love that stuff, but it's not for me any more. Also one beer makes me urinate 20 times now. #ThisIs40
Yup me too! For me it wasn't necessarily getting wasted (I'm a big guy, crazy amount of tolerance, and genuinely love beer,) but the sheer volume was staggering. I could easily drink a case of beer on a football sunday, and not be a staggering drunk, in fact quite the opposite, having fun, grilling, and throwing the football around the back yard. So when I stopped 14 months ago, it was originally to drop a few pounds, and to be honest I saw a friend who I hadn't scene in almost 20 years, we were both hardy beer drinkers but avid surfers, and gym rats. Anyway he hadn't been doing much of either, but kept up the drinking volume, and it was sobering, and sad, I didn't want to be like that. So now football sundays are full of gallons of coconut water haha, I cant say my disposition has changed much if any? I've dropped almost 40lbs, feel better, saved a bunch of money (and bought a couple of boards,) eat a lot healthier, and feel like I'm building on something, what I have no idea? A couple of my buddies have brought over non alcoholic beer, like last weekend for football, but I politely declined. They asked me why, and for me it was super simple, there's no reason I need to drink 24 non alcoholic beers either.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
About 4 years sober, managed to do it on my own. For anybody struggling, don't think about the good times you had drinking, think of the bad times.This has helped me when I got the urge.
Totally. Many mornings I wake up with all the aches and pains that come from 50 years of using the hell out of this body and I think to myself, "My God, how bad would this be WITH A HANGOVER?!?!?"

LOL

Huge respect to the old, fat, drunk, smokers out there. Tough MFers!!!

;)

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
today was a challenge. surf was kind of a wonky weird let down, i got some waves, but knew it was better elsewhere but with 10X the crowd, no energy. took a nap which helped my funk but now my inbox is stacked up with really annoying busy work and i have no motivation to get it done.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
It's been flat here, and no not California "flat" flat flat.
There was some storm surf a few weeks back and a few little blips and every single time I have planned to surf, my coworker has needed me to cover.

She gets me back and she has health issues so I feel bad "I cant shred because you're getting your blood tested wah wah"
But im about to start stand up paddle yoga smoothie fleshlight foiling before I go absolutely insane.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Totally. Many mornings I wake up with all the aches and pains that come from 50 years of using the hell out of this body and I think to myself, "My God, how bad would this be WITH A HANGOVER?!?!?"

LOL

Huge respect to the old, fat, drunk, smokers out there. Tough MFers!!!

;)
my dad always said the more time you spend in bars, the fewer and fewer old drunks you'll see. most don't make it to old age

Reactions: crustBrother

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
One is too many and a case isn't enough.
my dad always said the more time you spend in bars, the fewer and fewer old drunks you'll see. most don't make it to old age
Astute observation.

Several years back, I used to work right across the street from a bar and would hit it up after work frequently (not to mention lunches that kind of extended into taking the rest of the day off). Habit that creeps up on you. In 20s, used to go through handles about every 3-4 days. Then I had more free time to surf though and could burn through it. I still enjoy the occasional weekend 12 pack but rarely drink hard liquor anymore. Occasional bottle of wine. But few years ago, making that conscious mental shift back to focusing on surfing as often as possible instead of going to bars and drinking was huge for my mental psyche, overall health, and general happiness. Even before Covid, jeez, I can't even remember the last time I went to a bar. It's been a while. Good on the pocketbook too. Oh, and I do a lot less dumb sh!t like swandiving into frigid rocky, shallow rivers for $20. :roflmao:

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I have to zoom teach all day. So I will wait.

Drinking doesn't make me drunk when I teach, it compromises my cognitive firepower .

Don't ask me how I know this.

I need what cognitive firepower I have left to deal with 25 18 year olds in a zoom.
With sufficient reserves to spank your monkey, as needed?