Breaking down various EPS/alt constructions

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008
one shop owner took a cor vac about waist high and dropped on the rail. basically a carpeted cement floor. i was more like holy sh!t.. but board was completely fine... tough as nails. i havent ridden a corevac but had a cannibal back in the day that ripped
This was a long time ago, probably ten years ago, but I had a shop employee try to show me how tough the corevacs were once. He banged the rail of a corevac on the corner of a half wall -- fully cracked the rail of this brand new board. He just sort of muttered and put the board back on the rack, clearly hoping I didn't notice but also no longer looking to sell me on the board that he just damaged.

I'm sure they have them dialed now -- think the local SUP crowd likes them.

Hard to beat Coil. I have a newish spinetek and have liked it so far.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
I always keep my boards in bags, and almost never take them out unless they are about to be used.

That said, I got a Firewire Helium board this past winter that I like very much, and I intend to use it heavily this season, keeping it in the car to simmer during the day in Florida heat a good idea? This is really the first non-pu board that I wanna hold onto for a while

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
There you go again with that common sense

What's next . You gonna tell them if they live in hot area or expose the boards to sun that a white or reflective bag is good idea
Even here in Oregon I would definitely not get a board bag that isn't at least white on the bottom. I mostly have Da Kine bags because you can get them heavily discounted at times and they are mostly pretty good. Just stay away from any bags with metal zippers.

Reactions: chilly1 and jkb

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
I've also got a Vulcan convex eps/epoxy. Short, wide planing hull kind of quad. Stringerless, corrugated carbon just in from the rails. Super light, almost too light. This thing has got to be at least 6 years old and has seen some heavy use but it's still got tons of pop. It also got a few "Patent Pending" lams on it, which I think is very funny.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Stretch legacy is totally bombproof and rides great in all conditions. At around $1200 it’s not cheap. Mine is going on 5 years old and it looks like the day I bought it.

XTR is great had many but they yellow too easy.

bourton bdx xtra-strong is amazing eps core with stringer and double diagonal glass Job. 6x4 top and bottom. Very light.

original firewire fst was amazing.

future flex feels springy and lively. My friend snapped my chilli future flex in Bali.

standard stretch eps feels like a regular board.

Hyfi surfs great but can’t speak to durability

Pu/epoxy surfs great but Is super soft and dents way too easy. Never had a board dent where I grip to duck dive.

honestly if I had the money I would only buy stretch legacy as they literally never die and surf amazingly well
i dont have the money for 1300$+shipping ofr legacy haha but how does the stretch cft stack up with coil and xtr in terms of durability?

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
My experience with CFT was that it was a little more durable than my XTR boards, which is a high bar in my experience. No experience with Coil. I lost a "EPS tech" stretch into the rocks on a big day and it was completely unscathed, I was pretty sold after that. Maybe it was a miracle and just didn't hit anything, but I also banged it and subsequent CFT boards into stuff like a klutz and they rarely showed any sign of damage.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Stretch QC and attention to detail on much higher level though. Not a knock on xtr

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
i dont have the money for 1300$+shipping ofr legacy haha but how does the stretch cft stack up with coil and xtr in terms of durability?
honestly for how long the board will last it could be the cheapest board you ever buy. I’ve never had a board look new 5 years later in any construction. And at this rate it will last 5 more. I’ll be tired of it before it dies

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
The lost C4 is super durable, I have had 2 for almost 2 years and 0 pressure dents, look white like new. One was struck by a monster SUP, I was underwater but was told that, it went flying to the extent of the leash. Struck the rail and the cork, only a circular "crack" that couldn't feel with fingernail. Slight deck delam on one in cork "window" is but I think I left in hot car is why. I prefer the feel of the carbon wrap to the C4 because honestly C4 feels coerky. You eventually do get used to it and it does dampen eps chatter as advertised in bumpy and or more solid surf. It is actually cheaper than CW.

Reactions: hotCheetos

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
honestly for how long the board will last it could be the cheapest board you ever buy. I’ve never had a board look new 5 years later in any construction. And at this rate it will last 5 more. I’ll be tired of it before it dies
definitely agree with the buy once cry once i just would be a lot more confident shelling out that type of dough if i had some experience with his models for my conditions

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
definitely agree with the buy once cry once i just would be a lot more confident shelling out that type of dough if i had some experience with his models for my conditions
I got a legacy board on order

I think I’m gonna order one more.

The thing about legacy though is it’s kind of heavy. Whcih isn’t much problem for longboards but on a fish it might be a drag.

Anyone have a 2Win in CFT?

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

The thing about legacy though is it’s kind of heavy. Whcih isn’t much problem for longboards but on a fish it might be a drag.

Cft is bomb proof medium 6/4 /4 my whole quiver is cft and holding up great. I even have a f4 pre cft that still looks/surfs great.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Th

they aren’t all that heavy depending on your dimensions. You can order a lighter blank. I think I ordered the 1.9lb density blank.

They have different feel. Not dead per se but they don’t have that spring and pop you get out of a light EPS or firewire. They smooth out everything on a wave

my problem is a 5’10 2x4 isn’t the board For mushy north county SD waves at my weight. I’ve had some of the best waves of my life surfing that same board at pumping snapper rocks.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
To speak to Coil's durability, I snapped one in half at an incredibly heavy NorCal gravel bar that would have destroyed any board in the same situation. I haven't even dinged its replacement, or the other 3 Coils I own, despite surfing them day in and day out since 2015 or so, and putting the larger boards through some absurd cleanup sets and nasty death barrels.

I do find my 6'4" DD Coil has lost its pop, and feels deader and stiffer than it ever used to. It also has some soft spots just starting where it feels like it might be delamming just a tiny bit. On video, it looks like sh!t when I ride it. My older OG non-dimpled Coil feels amazing underfoot and looks a lot looser as well. Of course, it's 6'2", 28L or so and the other is 31L and has heavier glassing.

Keep in mind this thing has probably 500+ sessions under its belt, mostly in grunty NorCal conditions. Can you claim any other construction would have kept its magic, let alone remained ding and repair-free?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Th

they aren’t all that heavy depending on your dimensions. You can order a lighter blank. I think I ordered the 1.9lb density blank.

They have different feel. Not dead per se but they don’t have that spring and pop you get out of a light EPS or firewire. They smooth out everything on a wave

my problem is a 5’10 2x4 isn’t the board For mushy north county SD waves at my weight. I’ve had some of the best waves of my life surfing that same board at pumping snapper rocks.
Interesting.

I really really like the construction. It was solid. Prob will order one. I think I want a 2Win in legacy.