The Corona Cuisine Thread

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
keenfish just one-upped enframed so hard

If hotdog squid is on-upping things, then how about Mason Jar ice cream( and if you have a paint shaker, get it out to save your arms).

1. Clean glass quart mason jar with lid (if you can, put it in the freezer to get cold before adding in the raw ingredients)
2. 1 cup of heavy cream
3. 1-2 Tablespoons sugar (if you have extra rich and good heavy cream, use 1 Tablespoon)
4. 1 and a half teaspoons good vanilla extract
5. pinch of salt

Add it all together, screw on lid, start shaking the sealed jar. If you chilled the jar, hold jar with oven mitts. (Or put in paint shaker.)

Shake it till mixture doubles in size. No wimpy arms please, you gotta shake it. Works great if you have maniac kids and pass it from one to the other every minute and challenge next kid to shake harder. Paint shaker should get it done in 3 minutes or so.

After doubling in size, needs a hard freeze, so pop it into the best working freezer you can find. Growing up, we had big freezer in the garage that was much better than the freezer compartment of the 'fridge in the kitchen.

Wait at least 3 hrs.

Mmmmmm.

You can tweak it a little with additions, but keep amounts small. And no shaking/mixing the jar outside on a hot day, you won't get the volume you need (but I think a paint shaker could get it done no matter how hot it is).

Edit:
I base this on the Tupperware ice cream mom used to make when I was a kid. I think she got a recipe from Ask Heloise or some other Depression Era home economic font of frugal living. When I made this a few time in college in the glass jar, my roomies from Idaho were very impressed with my DIY ice-cream, but when they went to replicate it, well, their results suffered due to lack of volume...they didn't have the gusto to shake it properly.

Edit2:

Making another go today of homemade baguette with the blender ground whole wheat (from wheat berries to flour in the Vitamix). Dough is rising as I type. Last time I made this, well, I don't think I let it rise for long enough as it was a little dense when cooked. Made excellent french toast the next morning and that earned me bonus points with Sweetie-pie.:sneaky:

Last edited:
Reactions: enframed and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
20200519_194539.jpg
First go at potstickers. Lamb, cabbage, garlic, ginger, green onion, soy sauce, cilantro, pepper. Not mad about how they came out but as you can see my filling skills leave much to be desired. The dough came out nice but I think the wrapper needs to be rolled thinner. I almost had the hang of it by the 30th or so. Still, they tasted great and it was pretty fun to make with my girlfriend. Will try again. The aged chili dipping sauce is from my youngest sister. She's the best cook in the family I think.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
you guys are good!

love it

NYT chocolate chip cookies

IMG_20200326_095512_382.jpg

homemade dough and sauce - pinneapple just for spite

IMG_20200408_192926_395.jpg

home made pho - incredibly easy. hardest part is getting fresh ingredients

IMG_20200405_151732_236.jpg

straight gringo'd out cinco de mayo al pastor and homemade beans

20200505_103135.jpg

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Traeger season. Been making bolete powder rubs from the dried mushrooms we harvest in the fall for the past couple years. Still working out the perfect ratios but its dried king bolete (porcini), salt, brown sugar, red pepper, black pepper, dried herbs. I have another rub thats more spicy which i actually prefer for chicken but i need to make up another batch.20200521_202519.jpg

Reactions: CutnSnip

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Making "'Anna-damma" bread. A corneal/corn flower/wheat flour based bread with black-strap molasses.

Yeast is proofing right now.....the kitchen smells a little like hot buttered rum.

Edit 1:

Hour later, bread looks a pumpernickel-ish due to the black-strap molasses, starting to rise, kinda sticky dough makes me think I should have added more flour, but am trusting with the recipe....James Beard wouldn't steer me wrong.

Edit 2:

Another hour and it should be ready for the first punch down1590174772868.png

Edit 3:

2nd rise complete, into the oven

1590187584407.png

Last edited:
Reactions: enframed

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I’ve rediscovered bone in skin on chicken thighs. I must’ve forgotten they existed since boneless skinless thighs are easier to buy or at least prominent in most stores. With the boneless skinless chicken getting sold out, all of a sudden I found this to be the only option.

Now I don’t think I’ll ever go back! I put the grill pan in the oven while preheating to 400. Rub with poultry seasoning, onion salt and kosher salt. Cook it skin side down for 20 minutes, then flip for another 15
1590171557060.jpeg

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I’ve rediscovered bone in skin on chicken thighs. I must’ve forgotten they existed since boneless skinless thighs are easier to buy or at least prominent in most stores. With the boneless skinless chicken getting sold out, all of a sudden I found this to be the only option.

Now I don’t think I’ll ever go back! I put the grill pan in the oven while preheating to 400. Rub with poultry seasoning, onion salt and kosher salt. Cook it skin side down for 20 minutes, then flip for another 15
View attachment 91472

The only time I buy boneless chicken is if I'm doing something like chicken parm.

This is a solid, super simple recipe that comes out great every time...

Been doing it for years. Sometimes I'll add lemon slices and rosemary if I have them lying around.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
They are the only way to go. I do them in a cast iron pan (nor ridges) for 10-15 skin side down, then flip, then finish in the oven. Crispy, seasoned skin. If I'm lazy, I just season them, oil them, and roast em in the oven, skin side up. Real high temp, then a bit lower (425 keeps my kitchen from smelling up my apartment, but 450 is better). The best part is that you basically can't overcook them. I've cooked em for 35 minutes, I've cooked them for an hour. Most of the time I don't time it anymore, I just cook whatever else I need to cook and when it's done, the chicken comes out. They're fine. Most forgiving thing ever.

The problem was, I would end up eating all the leftover chicken skin because it wasn't as gratifying after being microwaved the next day at work. Since I have no microwave here, the leftovers crisp up in the oven just fine.

The other day I made chicken enchiladas and cooked the chicken off in the instantpot, so I didn't really have a need for the skin. I decided to cook the skins off in the oven and make chicken "chicharrones" to sprinkle on top.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Yeah I stopped buying boneless/skinless years ago, also stopped buying breasts, only leg meat. It's less expensive, tastes better.

Here's chicken with Schmaltzy onions.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
They are the only way to go. I do them in a cast iron pan (nor ridges) for 10-15 skin side down, then flip, then finish in the oven. Crispy, seasoned skin. If I'm lazy, I just season them, oil them, and roast em in the oven, skin side up. Real high temp, then a bit lower (425 keeps my kitchen from smelling up my apartment, but 450 is better). The best part is that you basically can't overcook them. I've cooked em for 35 minutes, I've cooked them for an hour. Most of the time I don't time it anymore, I just cook whatever else I need to cook and when it's done, the chicken comes out. They're fine. Most forgiving thing ever.

The problem was, I would end up eating all the leftover chicken skin because it wasn't as gratifying after being microwaved the next day at work. Since I have no microwave here, the leftovers crisp up in the oven just fine.

The other day I made chicken enchiladas and cooked the chicken off in the instantpot, so I didn't really have a need for the skin. I decided to cook the skins off in the oven and make chicken "chicharrones" to sprinkle on top.
The only time I buy boneless chicken is if I'm doing something like chicken parm.

This is a solid, super simple recipe that comes out great every time...

Been doing it for years. Sometimes I'll add lemon slices and rosemary if I have them lying around.
Damn those both sound great, will try those. I feel like a noob for forgetting about them for so long, I guess convenience leads to complacency.

DO YOU EVEN CHICKEN KOOK

Reactions: $kully

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I've been doing the bone in, skin on thighs a lot over the past couple years. I still think wings are my favorite but the thighs are a close second and are less of a pain in the ass to cook and eat. Crispy skin for the win.