Don't end up in a nursing home.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Keep the kids doing "online learning".

I'm sure it's working out really well, at least in public schools.

WE HAV NO UTHR CHOYS!
Sweden eventually banned visits to nursing homes but let other people out.

We're not going to save lives with what we're doing. We're going to have several more waves of this since 10x fewer people were infected this wave than were needed for herd immunity. A vaccine might get us there quicker, but that's pie in the sky.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
There is nothing wrong with letting grandma die when she reaches the adult baby stage.

It's the culture of death denial and selfishness that refuses to allow it.
I agree.

I"m no fan of expanded morbidty.

But I also like death panels and sending granny home with a bottle of morphine to die.

That said, we still treat the elderly like sh!t.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I agree.

But I also like death panels and sending granny home with a bottle of morphine to die.

We should all take care of our elderly parents rather than stick them in a home. I know it's hard, but they took care of us when we were young. There used to be filial piety laws about this. We used to care about the 5th commandment too.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
why not end up in a nursing home?
I mean, if you end up there, your life wasn’t worth much anyway, right?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
We should all take care of our elderly parents rather than stick them in a home. I know it's hard, but they took care of us when we were young. There used to be filial piety laws about this. We used to care about the 5th commandment too.
I agree.

I would never put my parents in a home.

Lucky for me, they died suddenly and I dodged that bullet. :drowning:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I agree.

Uhh, yeah wipe me off with some Medicare and flush me to the Social Security check, please. My Aunt just qualified for early SS + disability and is over the moon stocked. My employer covers all my premium and a few years back, single high-deductible, it was like $510. My Dad's 78 and a walking Covid-19 comorbidity suite and his supplemental/part D etc. comes in around 4 and change last I asked.

I think you are talking about end of life in assisted living. Regular caregiving + medical is expensive.

Reactions: Autoprax

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My girl friend's mom was looking at an assisted living place and it cost more than my salary now.

That is why I got to go out with ball and pistol.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Has anyone here actually taken care of a severely demented adult in diapers?

Most people don't have the ability, physical or otherwise, or the temperment.

Severely demented adults in diapers are a sad product of modern healthcare.

They are not a natural or normal thing - 99.9% of people used to die before they got to that point.

After taking care of these people myself I can never fault a person for placing their mom or dad in an old age home under such circumstances. Not to mention several other situations.

I know I would never want such a burden for my wife or children.

We didn't evolve to take care of adult infants all day every day when we're in our 50s and 60s.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
This could even be a mildly declining adult within 6-12 months of diapers being a good idea and it's a tough row to hoe.

Probably should have left us all be, quadrupled HomeCare etc. pay and quarantined those people, compensating them HANDSOMELY for it, and come out ahead on Sammy's fiscal ledger.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

Most people don't have the ability, physical or otherwise, or the temperment.

Severely demented adults in diapers are a sad product of modern healthcare.

They are not a natural or normal thing - 99.9% of people used to die before they got to that point.

After taking care of these people myself I can never fault a person for placing their mom or dad in an old age home under such circumstances. Not to mention several other situations.

I know I would never want such a burden for my wife or children.

We didn't evolve to take care of adult infants all day every day when we're in our 50s and 60s.
Casa,

This would make a good thread. Do you recommend DNRs and guidelines? I think more people WOULD take care of their parents at home if they knew that their parents would die of natural causes before they got to the "adult diaper" stage.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Casa,

This would make a good thread. Do you recommend DNRs and guidelines? I think more people WOULD take care of their parents at home if they knew that their parents would die of natural causes before they got to the "adult diaper" stage.
Most people don’t know how anyone is going to die, so that’s not all that relevant
But would more people take care of their parents at home?
Many homes are empty all day while the adults are working, at least up until recently. Nursing homes provide round the clock care at some level, sometimes including medical needs, but at the very least, providing meals
And many parents don’t want to live with their adult children and their families. Maybe because they don’t want to be a burden, or because, they just don’t want to
Nursing homes aren’t the institutions they used to be. Some residents quality of life improves significantly when they go to a nursing home.

I don’t have to deal with this for my parents
but I’m not so sure nursing homes were so evil up until they became the covid19 death traps they are today

Reactions: PRCD

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Casa,

This would make a good thread. Do you recommend DNRs and guidelines?
Some places discussion of DNR status is a no-no. Other places RNs are supposed to bring it up. Other places MDs are very good at bringing it up. Other places nobody is supposed to bring it up.

At the end of the day the overreaching question should be what would said individual want?
Or how would said medical procedure affect quality of life? Or how would the recovery be for someone of their age?

For instance, a few weeks on a ventilator for an 85-year old person with comorbidities is going to be one hell of a recovery in many situations.

I think more people WOULD take care of their parents at home if they knew that their parents would die of natural causes before they got to the "adult diaper" stage.
Absolutely. I think we're programmed for that.

Also agree with RandomGuy some nursing homes / assisted care can be preferred to living with kids due to the social scene.

Reactions: PRCD

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
It's something no one is talking about.

I've been saying this for weeks.

The public has a right to know - how many of these deaths are in nursing homes?

Is it simply not being reported on because it might not drive the narrative?

It's extremely fvcking relevant to getting on with our lives.

I'm hearing upwards of 50% in multiple areas.
Maddow has been talking about this since mid April. Although she was doing it to highlight the lack of federal response and their silence on the issue.

Really surprised her #1 fan boy Von Meister didn’t bring this one up. :poop:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
America is a society that is denial of death.

Along with that denial comes a comtempt for old people.

Our base instinct is to let grandma die. (See Grub's Dud's post.)

That would be the rational for suppressing the information.

Otherwise, the savage American hordes will be protesting at the old folks home: "Kill the old people!"

I get it.

I hate old people too.
Quite the opposite. This virus has gone on for quite a while now and yesterday was the first I've seen any real breakdown for the demographics and death rate in nursing homes in my state or anywhere in the US. In fact, more than a month ago when data from Europe was showing that over there the death rate statistics were showing it mostly affecting the elderly, our media tripped all over itself trying to find and report on cases of young healthy people getting sick and dying.

Our media and our leaders have been trying to suppress the fact that young healthy people face a very infinitesimal risk from this virus. The damn is breaking as the data here is coming out.

Its time to open everything back up. Nobody is preventing you from hiding in your basement for another 6-months Prax. Let the rest of us resume our lives.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
It's nice to finally get confirmation that Obama's death panels really DO exist.

It also must be comforting to many of your parents how much you value their lives.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
It's nice to finally get confirmation that Obama's death panels really DO exist.

It also must be comforting to many of your parents how much you value their lives.
My parents get it. They are 75 and living life to its fullest while taking what they feel are reasonable precautions. That's called Liberty. They just traveled home from Florida last week and next week they plan to travel to West Virginia. Life goes on.

Hal, I promise that nobody will drag your elderly parents out of their houses and force them to take risks that they are uncomfortable with. They can shelter in place for as long as they'd like.