Don't end up in a nursing home.

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
Quite the opposite. This virus has gone on for quite a while now and yesterday was the first I've seen any real breakdown for the demographics and death rate in nursing homes in my state or anywhere in the US. In fact, more than a month ago when data from Europe was showing that over there the death rate statistics were showing it mostly affecting the elderly, our media tripped all over itself trying to find and report on cases of young healthy people getting sick and dying.

Our media and our leaders have been trying to suppress the fact that young healthy people face a very infinitesimal risk from this virus. The damn is breaking as the data here is coming out.

Its time to open everything back up. Nobody is preventing you from hiding in your basement for another 6-months Prax. Let the rest of us resume our lives.
The thing is nursing homes and the immune compromised don’t live in a vacuum where they can get what they need, i.e. food, necessities, physical assistance, without fear of exposure.

The people that work with them and those in the supply chain are out in the world and risk bringing it in or out.

Not impossible to mitigate but can’t be “business as usual” either.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
The thing is nursing homes and the immune compromised don’t live in a vacuum where they can get what they need, i.e. food, necessities, physical assistance, without fear of exposure.

The people that work with them and those in the supply chain are out in the world and risk bringing it in or out.

Taking away the liberty of the healthy is not an acceptable way to care for the elderly or immuno-compromized.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

The GOP has gone full "let people die and sacrifice yourself to your workplace"

Reactions: $kully

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
It's oddly gratifying to know that the GOP wants to kill off its own voting base.

It's like they want to cut off their nose to spider face.

• Haha
Reactions: Phi1

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
It's oddly gratifying to know that the GOP wants to kill off its own voting base.

Go read the Politico about Graham County, NC where they locked the whole thing down at the county level, of/by/for the county officials, and the local inbreds who disagree blame the state government in Raleigh, but wouldn't give their names for fear of reprisals.

Then they cry about Medicaid expansion, they go to lobby for it because their local inbreds need it, otherwise people die, and the state GOP asks if they'll vote for Democrats if they don't get it, they say no because of social issue reasons.

Then get you some dessert here:

By a nearly 6-to-1 margin, people 65 years old and older say it’s more important for the government to address the spread of coronavirus than it is to focus on the economy. And as President Donald Trump increasingly signals interest in prioritizing economic interests, America’s senior citizens are growing critical of his approach.

In mid-March, this group approved of Trump’s handling of the outbreak at a higher rate than any other age group, with a net approval of +19. A month later, that level of support has dropped 20 points and is now lower than that of any age group other than 18-29-year-olds.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

People in nursing homes are at risk for all communicable diseases. Does that mean we should never have business as usual again?

Murder hornets are here now. They're dangerous to people who are allergic to bees, should we shelter in place for those as well? What about the flu this fall?
No, I'm not suggesting it. I'm saying it point-blank.

Well.....ok maybe that's not entirely fair.....they're pro-life as long as you're white and not old, sick or, middle-class, or poor.
S
I
X
H
I
R
B

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca

Why do you hate western culture so much! Look what “we” built. If it wasn’t for western culture we’d still be living in mud huts and doing blood sacrifices to a weird deity so we could have a successful harvest. Look how far we’ve progressed as a civilized society!

Now hurry up and feed grandma to the DOW, the stock market is hangry.;)

Edit: iFall, my point is it’s not as simple as saying “skeert people just stay home”. Until there’s a vaccine, established treatment or herd immunity, the general populace should take some extra precautions. I agree the economy needs to reopen and think we can be smart about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ifallalot

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Why do you hate western culture so much! Look what “we” built. If it wasn’t for western culture we’d still be living in mud huts and doing blood sacrifices to a weird deity so we could have a successful harvest. Look how far we’ve progressed as a civilized society!

Now hurry up and feed grandma to the DOW, the stock market is hangry.;)

Edit: iFall, my point is it’s not as simple as saying “skeert people just stay home”. Until there’s a vaccine, established treatment or herd immunity, the general populace should take some extra precautions. I agree the economy needs to reopen and think we can be smart about it.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
America is a society that is denial of death.

Along with that denial comes a comtempt for old people.

Our base instinct is to let grandma die. (See Grub's Dud's post.)

That would be the rational for suppressing the information.

Otherwise, the savage American hordes will be protesting at the old folks home: "Kill the old people!"
This x 8753986392

Also, yet more ignorance in this thread about how pandemics work.

Even the retirement homes are not deserted islands that you can simply seal off.

Not even mentioning that the majority of CV deaths in the US are not happening in retirement homes, unless you presume that everybody over 65 is in a retirement home, which is not the case.

1588810334570.png