*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
The problem with the experts is they see any new infection and especially death as a failure of medicine and not acceptable. If it was up to them no one would leave their house for any reason until we have a vaccine (which will be very hit or miss probably) Again, somehow we've gone from "flatten the curve" to a bunch of hysterical idiots thinking someone's got blood on their hands any time there's a new infection. Interestingly enough, all the MD's I know see this virus as no big deal....

It sucks but people are going to have to die of Covid for us to go back to relatively normal. The sooner we realize this the better off we will be in the end. I think more and more people are coming to this realization.

How do we go about flu season now? We are setting some dangerous precedents.

• Love
Reactions: Kaido and PRCD

huryanpost

Michael Peterson status
Dec 9, 2010
Damn the luck.

on the bright side
a year has passed since my so near brush with death. lately I have had a sense, of maybe I can get back in the water. And catch a wave.

Reactions: Kaido

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The problem with the experts is they see any new infection and especially as a failure of medicine and not acceptable. If it was up to them no one would leave their house for any reason until we have a vaccine (which will be very hit or miss probably) Again, somehow we've gone from "flatten the curve" to a bunch of hysterical idiots thinking someone's got blood on their hands any time there's a new infection.
Correct.

Read what Michael Osterholm, one of the most credentialed and respected epidemiologists in the country, has to say about it.

I'll sum it up for you:

The virus is here; count on it being a problem for the next year and a half.
We are going to have to live with the virus, period.
Now get the economy moving ASAP.
Getting the economy moving now is of the utmost importance.
That DOESN'T mean stay inside and wait for a vaccine.
A vaccine may never come.
That means get a Manhattan Project going.

That's where Trump is lacking - we need a Manhattan Project for this.

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
I'm no Trump fan but I'll play along.

Being a Yes man to the "experts" would be great for "fighting" the pandemic. That doesn't mean it would be what's best for the USA necessarily. The experts do not have our best interests in mind (it's not their job to). They only want to "defeat" the pandemic (because that's their job).

We need to shift from "How do we defeat this virus" (hint: It's impossible) to "How do we live with this virus with as little damage to life and economy as possible". I think we are starting to see that shift now.

Reactions: Yewstreet

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Politics is just a game. Remember?

You don't have a team.

You really don't see how trump's leadership style would not be effective for fighting a global pandemic?

Ok.

Whatever you say, Nurse Homo. :poop:
You said the Trump is making it harder for experts to solve the problem.

I'm asking for a link to how he is blocking experts from solving the problem.

Link? Or were you just blabbering?

My issue is Trump doesn't seem to be enlisting experts to solve the problem.

My other issue with Trump:

In mid January, Trump should've shut down the country, stopped all air travel, ordered 100,000 ventilators, and invoked the DPA.

But none of you dummies would've allowed it...:cry: just bitch Trump didn't take action.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonahbrah

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
Oh and to lighten the mood a bit. Last night we went to go get ice cream. Some chick pulls up and gets out of her car wearing a mask that's not covering her nose. Wearing gloves and rubbing her eyes and holding her phone, and standing about 1 foot away from several other customers in line :bricks:

This is what we've come to.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
You said the Trump is making it harder for experts to solve the problem.

My issue is Trump doesn't seem to be enlisting experts to solve the problem.
Yeah, that makes it harder for them to solve the problem.

It's a DIY situation. Whereas he could be the wind under their wings.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
The number is under 100K now
It's now predicted to about 60k. Who know's, might be less than that?

We're at 22k now.

We'd need to see 1000 deaths per day continue WITHOUT DROPPING for 80 straight days to see 100k by roughly July 1th.

It "seems" we've seen a peak in total deaths per day in the USA the last few days (most larger, denser cities)

Even NYC looks to have topped out in per day fatalities and leveling off, if not a slight drop.

Saw this report in today's Sunday AM paper......

"As of Saturday afternoon, the county public health department has tallied just 396 total hospitalizations since Feb. 14, nowhere near the number that would be needed to inundate the combined capacity of the region’s 21 acute care hospitals which, taken together, exceeds 7,000 beds."

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Correct.

Read what Michael Osterholm, one of the most credentialed and respected epidemiologists in the country, has to say about it.

I'll sum it up for you:

The virus is here; count on it being a problem for the next year and a half.
We are going to have to live with the virus, period.
Now get the economy moving ASAP.
Getting the economy moving now is of the utmost importance.
That DOESN'T mean stay inside and wait for a vaccine.
A vaccine may never come.
That means get a Manhattan Project going.

That's where Trump is lacking - we need a Manhattan Project for this.
Modern man doesn't really have the cognitive tools to make the technological progress he made in the first half of the 20th century when it was already greatly slowing down compared to the 19th and 18th centuries. We already throw a ton of money at SCIENCE! and get very little for it but sinecures for "experts." Even the original Manhattan Project brought us "progress" only in the sense of being able to blow up the earth.

If there is any progress, it'll come from backyard tinkerers from other fields.

Read "Range" by David Epstein.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
the jumper thing too heavy. i was 3rd car on scene but little help.
called 911. 10 min response (!!??) time. that would be the toms river pd nj.