*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Nicely put. I've been living in my van for the past 4.5 years by choice, the goal being to work jobs that i enjoy / are healthy and 'live within my means.' To me, its always been my outlook in my entire adult life that if you aren't able to save, your lifestyle isn't sustainable because sh!t happens. This has built a ton of self reliance as well as 'resiliency,' as i always put it. All my friends that don't live with their parents or work remotely are wondering how they'll pay rent. Meanwhile, I'm over here without a care in the world, living my life the same as always. Been giving myself every haircut for the past decade, I've gotten pretty damn good at it. Workouts has been calisthenics based for a number of reasons, but again - something that doesn't change much working out 'at home.'

The funny thing is whenever i mention my lifestyle to older folks, 95% of the time they say something along the lines of "you're doin' it right / I wish i figured that out when i was your age," meanwhile whenever I explain it to people my age more than half just kinda get uncomfortable and don't know how to comprehend it. The other half I'd say are cool with it, and yea you get the select few who are kinda hippyish or into the hashtag vanlife who really dig it, but even of those - honestly, as much as hashtag vanlife is super 'in' and and popular among hipsters, half of them just save up and take a vacation off work for a year and call it 'full time living in a van' and the other half work remotely, which is similar to my path just more computer based and more socially acceptable. Its super rare that I ever meet anyone who does or would ever choose to work a regular 40 hour job and just go home to a vehicle, and like stay in one place not travelling around or anything. I often joke that its the 'weird kind of living in a van' not the cool kind.

But its rooted in deep, common sense philosophical outlooks similar to what you're posting above. To me it just makes sense, to most others its too weird to grasp. When people ask how long I plan to do it, the answer is indefinitely, its half my retirement plan. And that one gets weird looks too. But there's just so many reasons to live a somewhat frugal lifestyle, and its never been more glaringly obvious - the lack of widespread appreciation or understanding for these reasons than right now during this global recession. It's never struck me so significantly, just how oblivious the general population of the US is to the current state of global affairs (meaning the severity of the situation at hand) as well as how entitled and incapable of making changes without throwing fits like little children we are, at large. Like everyone's pacifiers are being taken away, in the form of all the things you mention - our anxiously active lifestyles which distract us from being aware of, well, pretty much anything.

"These neurotic symptoms are strikingly similar to an increasingly common way of life in Western society. Our ever-expanding populations with their accompanying advertising, mass entertainment, socializing, industrialization, and emphasis upon success, sensuality, and popularity have produced an environment in which we are forever bombarded with an increasing number of sensory and emotional stimuli. The opportunities for solitude and introspection have diminished to the point that now solitude is often viewed as either depressing or abnormal. This is not to assert that the majority of our citizens are involved in a frantic endeavor to escape from their inner selves. Such is no doubt the case with many, but there still remains a sizeable percentage of people who are involved in the same frenzy only because they have conformed to the social norm and have been lured into a habitual fascination for television, jazz, sports, and the countless other forms of readily-available entertainment. Such persons are not necessarily precluded from relative happiness and emotional well-being." - Douglas Burns ~1970

"We get so caught up in this endless thought stream that reality flows by unnoticed. We spend our time engrossed in activity, caught up in an eternal pursuit of pleasure and gratification and an eternal flight from pain and unpleasantness. We spend all of our energies trying to make ourselves feel better, trying to bury our fears. We are endlessly seeking security. Meanwhile, the world of real experiences flows by untouched and untasted...The ironic thing is that real peace comes only when you stop chasing it. Another Catch-22." - Henepola Gunaratana

My view of the general public has been shifted quite a bit in the direction it was already headed through this whole experience so far. I too hope people take this as a wake up call or a catalyst to a shift in values. as others have said though, i think its doubtful. We lack true open mindedness or often even the capability of mere philosophical discourse. The importance of deep thought has never been cultivated in us, instead our value system is all fucked up. It's hard to change the value system of an entire society. trying times, sure, stand a chance. but we're pretty far gone.

"Through science, technology, and social organization Western man has built a civilization of unprecedented wealth and grandeur. Yet despite this mastery of his environment, he has given little thought to mastery of himself. In fact, his newly-acquired wealth and leisure have heightened his sensuality and weakened his self-discipline. It becomes increasingly apparent, however, that a stable and prosperous democracy can endure only so long as we have intelligent, self-disciplined, and properly motivated citizens; legislation and education alone will not ensure this...No one can cure our neuroses and strengthen our characters except ourselves. " - Douglas Burns
More hygiene in general could lead to fewer cases of everything. Silver lining?

Reactions: PJ and bigtuna

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Does every Chinese person on the globe buy wet market animals? You're talking about the 1% in China.

I'm in the hot spot! Lots of old people around here.
yup I'm in the second hottest spot on the island
its probably all those ewa gentry and oceanpoint transplants
my brother calls them all cane spiders because they all live where our sugar cane fields used to be when we were young

I think I know that bartender kid on life support at kaiser might be joining him one day
I spent about four-six weeks in ICU and in one of those positive pressure rooms at kaiser after my appendix burst and I didn't see a doctor only to go into septic shock after they screwed up the drainage procedure. That was an experience

• Wow
Reactions: the janitor

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Just got word from my sons' district that we're not going back for the rest of the school year. Spring break this week in my district.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Who else is using this time in isolation as the ideal time to get that beard you always wanted to try out, but you never quite managed to push past the awkward stage?

Reactions: Aruka

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Anybody else thinking about filing taxes incorrectly this year?

Also using this time to grow my hair out. Great time to be going through the awkward stage.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I did consider a skullet momentarily, but thought better of it... not sure the punchline to the joke would be worth the self loathing.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Get ready for a lot of this.

"After this, therefore because of this"
Indeed. And this fallacy will be easy to fall into in terms of assessing the economic fallout as well. It will be hard to tell how much of the impending recession/depression will be a consequence of covid, and how much is really just a compounding effect on the hidden leftovers from the 2008 collapse. Hoping covid is not the proverbial straw on the US economic camel's back.

Reactions: sozzle

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
some cheery reading.

The economic, social and public health consequences of these measures could claim millions of victims.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
COVID-19 now the third ranked daily killer in the USA and climbing. For all you FLu people out there, try look where flu is as a daily killer compared to CV ...1585754167706.png

Reactions: ghostshaper

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
COVID-19 now the third ranked daily killer in the USA and climbing. For all you FLu people out there, try look where flu is as a daily killer compared to CV ...View attachment 88534
Did you do a sanity check on this graph? Only 4102 people have died in the US of COVID since we began really tracking it a month ago. This plot only makes sense if you're averaging the daily death rate over the past week or maybe the past few days. The other data is averaged over 52 weeks.

Way to go. Our nation's math crisis is quite severe.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Did you do a sanity check on this graph? Only 4102 people have died in the US of COVID since we began really tracking it a month ago. This plot only makes sense if you're averaging the daily death rate over the past week or maybe the past few days. The other data is averaged over 52 weeks.

Way to go. Our nation's math crisis is quite severe.
True on the small sample size but absolutely guarantee you that if daily death rate was lower, conservatives would be adding "Chicago Gun Deaths" as a row for comparison.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Here's where she got the plot. The data is yesterday's. It's not even averaged over a week:
1585756397713.png

Gee, is there an effort to spread panic and lie with statistics?

Reactions: stringcheese

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
True on the small sample size
Not just a small sample size, fvcking Kento, but a small sample size cherry-picked from the portion of the graph where we start to ramp up to a peak.

:)

Last edited:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
for those with that shaking house fever restlessness, crank it up

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Not just a small sample size, fvcking Kento, but a small sample size from the portion of the graph where we start to ramp up to a peak.

:)
True - it's just a snapshot at a point in time.

There's probably some calculus involved re: exponential vs. linear rates but Dammit Jim, I am a Geologist and was told there would be no advanced math. :D

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
True - it's just a snapshot at a point in time.

There's probably some calculus involved re: exponential vs. linear rates but Dammit Jim, I am a Geologist and was told there would be no advanced math. :D
The advanced mathematicians are all crazed lunatics on the verge of sending bombs in the mail anyways. You're better off. Just pray that PRCD doesn't have your home mailing address.