Who's working? Who's not?

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Nice post.

I certainly do like direct deposit, but I also like having a physical paper printout. Can't we do both direct deposit and get a printout? I track the income and expenses for my wife's consultancy, and it sure is a lot easier for me when she hands me the non-negotiable paystub.

Oneula, you work with high level people, no need for them to get a physical check. If you're like me, lot's of the Bros you know are more paycheck to paycheck. For some, It's probably straight to the check cashing place. I've been hearing a radio commercial lately for "Alto Cash" in Tijuana.

From the customer satisfaction standpoint, they don't give a @#% if it's a pain in the butt for you. They want their check in paper form. I hate this, but the reality is the customer is always right, and without them we have no job. In some perspective, all that hassle with locks and special ink is job security. Just say to yourself, "I can't believe how much I'm getting paid to do this BS."

Here's my position. I'm lazy, and don't want to bother with yet ANOTHER account and password and personal questions like "What is your favorite cartoon character" just to see how much I have paid in taxes so far this year. Please, just make it simple, give me some paper that I can read at my leisure to track my vacation accrual and such.

Back on original topic:
I do software. Working mostly interfacing with physical hardware, things like sensors, motors, or perhaps the type of output that SurfDog creates. I also dabble in custom WordPress themes and hosting.

I'm currently in between positions, and have been messing around learning Bluetooth from both sides. Other than that lot's of gardening, i.e. weeding.
You can get both
Most employers create a payment transmittal with all the pertinent info on your taxes and deductions. Just like the one attached to your check just with out the check. Check cashing businesses are the worse scam its like 10%-20% handling fee for some. Usually its for someone without a financial account. You can have your payroll/Social Security sent to any type of account at a financial institution in and out of the country with the exception of investment accounts unless its a pseudo account like at Charles Schwab.

Also every institution is supposed to send you a recap of your accounts for tax purposes.

Passwords suck, I have anywhere between 50-75 I have to manage for work for one reason of another so I can sympathize with customers. Single sign on and biometrics are great but anything that gets digitized in transit can be hacked by MITM /MITB attacks due to malware.

Most of my waking hours involves working with computers, computer systems and the services they provide to the public. I hate computers because of it, mostly their undependable nature and online hygiene of our users.
That's why I enjoy those almost drowning and getting pounded experiences while surfing to keep me grounded in what's really important.. which is surviving and living for another day. After being held down and feeling like you're going to drown or hitting the reef or your skeg and getting sliced up, all the office sh*t you have to put up with just seems trivial and childish. I like making things out of wood with my hands like boards, or woodturning on lathe to make fountain pens. Using and giving away fountain pens, paper journals and wood letter openers pulls me out of the virtual world of work I find myself trapped in.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
my last few days have been a crash course in learning google classroom, I have been anti google over the years for my school stuff, but last year they killed my old teacher website so this school year i made a google site. now over the last few days i have been trying to figure out and set up 5 google classrooms, emailed 170 students and parents, answered 75 email questions about said classrooms and assignments.
before that i have been working in my yard a lot since they shut down our schools, 3 - 8 hours a day, planted some fruit trees, weeded out and planted several little gardens around the yard, trimmed up my palms, built some stone pathways, my yard is gonna be dialed in if I live through this. we've been walking 3-5 miles each day with the kids and now they have a bunch of school stuff to keep up with. just staying busy and not watching the news.

my wife and kid still haven't heard anything from their employees about if and when they go back to work.

also its been 6 days since my brother in law was tested for Covid 19 and still no results. that is crazy, since then my sister in law and niece have both been through a minor fever and sore throat and are already feeling better. would be nice for them to know.

i will tell you who is the happiest about all this. my dogs love this shelter in place! They are having the best time ever, walks every day, somebody is home all the time. they haven't dug a whole in the yard for 2 weeks!
Its funny, the dogs of the world love shelter in place, the cats hate it

Reactions: b.r.

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
one man attorney firm, closed mostly, just coming in to do paperwork that's coming due, most services aren't available to clients anyways, plus the courts are closed indefinitely, right now we're ok, but if this lasts much longer the bills aren't gonna get paid

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah FDNY EMT fielded a record breaking number of calls this last 24 hours

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
You can get both
Most employers create a payment transmittal with all the pertinent info on your taxes and deductions. Just like the one attached to your check just with out the check. Check cashing businesses are the worse scam its like 10%-20% handling fee for some. Usually its for someone without a financial account. You can have your payroll/Social Security sent to any type of account at a financial institution in and out of the country with the exception of investment accounts unless its a pseudo account like at Charles Schwab.

Also every institution is supposed to send you a recap of your accounts for tax purposes.

Passwords suck, I have anywhere between 50-75 I have to manage for work for one reason of another so I can sympathize with customers. Single sign on and biometrics are great but anything that gets digitized in transit can be hacked by MITM /MITB attacks due to malware.

Most of my waking hours involves working with computers, computer systems and the services they provide to the public. I hate computers because of it, mostly their undependable nature and online hygiene of our users.
That's why I enjoy those almost drowning and getting pounded experiences while surfing to keep me grounded in what's really important.. which is surviving and living for another day. After being held down and feeling like you're going to drown or hitting the reef or your skeg and getting sliced up, all the office sh*t you have to put up with just seems trivial and childish. I like making things out of wood with my hands like boards, or woodturning on lathe to make fountain pens. Using and giving away fountain pens, paper journals and wood letter openers pulls me out of the virtual world of work I find myself trapped in.
We are completely paperless now for direct deposit employees. We use a campus wide program called Web Advisor. All employees and students have an account and internet access. Once we complete a payroll. The direct deposit file gets created and transmitted to our bank. Web Advisor gets updated with an electronic pay advice with all earnings/tax/deduction info. It is in a downloadable, printable PDF format and it is historical so all of your pay stubs are there at your fingertips dated back to 2006 when we went live with this system.

Even if you get a traditional live check every month with a paper advice you still have the ability to access the info electronically through your Web Advisor account.

Its pretty slick. Even if you retire you can still have the ability to access your account.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Nice post.

I certainly do like direct deposit, but I also like having a physical paper printout. Can't we do both direct deposit and get a printout? I track the income and expenses for my wife's consultancy, and it sure is a lot easier for me when she hands me the non-negotiable paystub.

Oneula, you work with high level people, no need for them to get a physical check. If you're like me, lot's of the Bros you know are more paycheck to paycheck. For some, It's probably straight to the check cashing place. I've been hearing a radio commercial lately for "Alto Cash" in Tijuana.

From the customer satisfaction standpoint, they don't give a @#% if it's a pain in the butt for you. They want their check in paper form. I hate this, but the reality is the customer is always right, and without them we have no job. In some perspective, all that hassle with locks and special ink is job security. Just say to yourself, "I can't believe how much I'm getting paid to do this BS."

Here's my position. I'm lazy, and don't want to bother with yet ANOTHER account and password and personal questions like "What is your favorite cartoon character" just to see how much I have paid in taxes so far this year. Please, just make it simple, give me some paper that I can read at my leisure to track my vacation accrual and such.

Back on original topic:
I do software. Working mostly interfacing with physical hardware, things like sensors, motors, or perhaps the type of output that SurfDog creates. I also dabble in custom WordPress themes and hosting.

I'm currently in between positions, and have been messing around learning Bluetooth from both sides. Other than that lot's of gardening, i.e. weeding.

There are downsides to both physical, live checks and direct deposit. With an actual live check it can be lost or stolen. Even if a live check is stolen and unable to be cashed, the thief has your name, address, routing and account #s.

Direct deposit has its own set of drawbacks. We see so many employees who close an account that their payroll checks are set to be deposited to, switch financial institutions, open a new account - and completely forget to tell the payroll dept they have changed their banking info. So they set up auto bill paying, blah, blah, blah and then don't get paid. Its like the domino effect. You don't get paid but all of your auto pays hit and go out. You are fvcked. And it usually takes a week to 10 business days to get it sorted out.

We also get Phishing attacks were an email comes through for an employee requesting that their routing/account info be updated to a new account. We always reach out to the employee to verify but it does happen where the info gets changed in a companies system and pay is auto deposited in a bogus account and lost forever.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
yesterday my girl got a call:

"There is a man outside not sheltering in place and he is coughing"

crazy times hahahaha
$1000 fine and 90 days in jail for failing to comply with the Shelter in Place order now in Santa Cruz county. 90 days in Santa Cruz county jail and you not only will have Covid but probably a terminal dose of AIDS as a side order.

• Angry
Reactions: Ifallalot

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
One good piece of news for our faculty members is today the district made a decision to not delete/adjust any current teaching assignments currently in place that are affected by the Covid 19 school shutdown.

A lot of talk was going around that teaching assignments were going to get adjusted downwards or completely cancelled.

Have to give major props to our College for making this decision and keeping peoples paychecks going forward. The downside is its for the Spring semester only. Summer and Fall sessions are going to see major reductions based on what can be done online.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Like our peers, we just closed half our operations yesterday to restrict employee exposure and prevent litigation.
closed branch employees were relocated to back office operations like the call center where they've been overwhelmed like the hospitals have been. Others are backing the scared employees who have to work at the branches that remain open. No masks allowed and no cleaning allowed in front of customers. Social distancing is up to the customer.
We have to portray calmness and provide a sense of security to the public to prevent panic.If you are lucky or special you get to work from home otherwise it's suck it up time.

On the other hand lots of people and businesses are starting to block or bounce back their auto debits (lease payments, vendor payments, utility payments, merchant services charges) to prevent companies from collecting automatically out of their accounts. We know why they are doing it but that in turn passes the problem on to another company and its a domino effect. There's a big wall being built wonder what will happen when the payments come and the flow reverses. That's gonna one big mess with wrong account numbers etc etc along with all the fraud like with tax returns.

Reactions: Leaverite

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
So many people these days who set their finances up to be totally auto.

Direct deposits, auto bill pay, auto mortgage pay.

The sh!t just happens and they don't even think about it.

I do auto deposit now because I was in a situation out on Medical leave and needed to get payment into my account. Could not physically go to the bank.

Everything else I still get monthly paper statements/invoices on. I open each one of those bitches up, review it, contest anything that does not look right, and send a actual physical check through the mail to pay it. After working in payroll for 30+ years I have seen just about every horror story that can happen. An interesting stat we have shared in our dept. is most payroll people do not use any type of E pay. Most still actually get a live, paper check. That might say something.

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Yeah FDNY EMT fielded a record breaking number of calls this last 24 hours
That's actually kinda weird, unless they're running a bunch of COVID19 related calls.

Our medical call volume has gone down quite a bit in Santa Cruz County. People who normally would have been calling 911 for stupid stuff like" my toe hurts," or" I'm kinda sick and just want a ride to the hospital", are now NOT calling in order to avoid potential exposures to COVID19 in the ambulance and the hospital. I'm really hoping that even after all this is over, people continue to think twice about whether or not they really need to call 911.

Still running all the other stuff, such as fires, vehicle accidents, etc. We have a supply of masks and gowns on the engine in case we run a call on somebody with symptoms of corona, whether or not they've tested positive. So far we're up to 34 confirmed cases in the count, likely a lot more out there because of lack of test kits.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
That's actually kinda weird, unless they're running a bunch of COVID19 related calls.

Our medical call volume has gone down quite a bit in Santa Cruz County. People who normally would have been calling 911 for stupid stuff like" my toe hurts," or" I'm kinda sick and just want a ride to the hospital", are now NOT calling in order to avoid potential exposures to COVID19 in the ambulance and the hospital. I'm really hoping that even after all this is over, people continue to think twice about whether or not they really need to call 911.

Still running all the other stuff, such as fires, vehicle accidents, etc. We have a supply of masks and gowns on the engine in case we run a call on somebody with symptoms of corona, whether or not they've tested positive. So far we're up to 34 confirmed cases in the count, likely a lot more out there because of lack of test kits.
Be safe Icy!!!

Reactions: PPK96754