Does the Bern stand a chance?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Medicare and Medicaid barely clears $1T.

The DoD budget is $700B but they hide a ton of sh!t elsewhere.

I always go back to the Department of Energy. Half the budget is military spending. Developing nuclear Submarine engines and securing the nuclear weapon stockpile have jack sh!t to do with Energy.

The OCO (Overseas Contingency Operations) is generally another $80B thrown on the barbie.

The VA and Homeland Security?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

To your question about "those of us with good policies".

The median income is $36k, $40k, something like that. 50% of people with jobs make less than that.

75% of people working 30+ hours per week make less than $70k

In BernieWorld, we aren't the target market. We're at the bottom end of the target.
The quick google search I did showed both -care and -aid at around $550-580B. And yes, I’m aware that there is dark money and that the real defense budget, all in with what you mentioned, could be close to that number.

Either way, the general point I am trying to make stands. An extra trillion/year will not cover all that many more people than what is currently covered. Those making 6 figures+, or at least close to it, will get hammered with the tax burden to pay for Bernie Care, let alone free college and all the other stuff he’s promising.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Free cars would do more for productivity and business development than free college
That depends on the nature of the free college.

Plus the free cars would probably be American and therefore pieces of redneck/old people/soccer mom sh!t.

Unless they were Teslas, in which case, that would be boss af tbh fam.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The quick google search I did showed both -care and -aid at around $550-580B. And yes, I’m aware that there is dark money and that the real defense budget, all in with what you mentioned, could be close to that number.

Either way, the general point I am trying to make stands. An extra trillion/year will not cover all that many more people than what is currently covered. Those making 6 figures+, or at least close to it, will get hammered with the tax burden to pay for Bernie Care, let alone free college and all the other stuff he’s promising.
Yeah I copy Ghostrider:

In BernieWorld, we aren't the target market. We're at the bottom end of the target.

Reactions: grapedrink

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
And I disagree an extra trillion wouldn't cover all that many more. The trillion we have right now covers the most expensive 1/5th of the country.

Another trillion would cover way more than another 1/5. I doubt it would be 5/5 though.

Reactions: grapedrink

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
That depends on the nature of the free college.

Plus the free cars would probably be American and therefore pieces of redneck/old people/soccer mom sh!t.

Unless they were Teslas, in which case, that would be boss af tbh fam.
Teslas are whack besides the Cyber Truck

Murican cars are trash, but the trucks are the best. Give me a free Raptor or give me death

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Look I want what you want. I want the free market economy to put rural Trump voters in jail for their unpaid medical bills, or whatever ProPublica is crying about.

holy crap that is some dark stuff

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
There are some cost savings to be had with universal healthcare or similar, mostly on the administrative (billing)/advertising (no or little need) and bulk purchasing of things like medication and medical equipment. Plus the death panels always get the best uniforms.

Reactions: lagunaboy

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
And I disagree an extra trillion wouldn't cover all that many more. The trillion we have right now covers the most expensive 1/5th of the country.

Another trillion would cover way more than another 1/5. I doubt it would be 5/5 though.
Agreed. Although medicare is looking at budget shortfalls going into the next few decades, so there is issues there as well with the current level of income. Also, that trillion assumes all defense spending would be diverted, which is a non-starter, but we could probably do just fine with 1/4 of what we currently spend.

The only way I see socialized medicine really working long term is to internalize the costs by building out government healthcare infrastructure.

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
What makes you think I haven't complained about all of those things? You're making stupid assumptions. Pulling them out of your ass and posting them up like they came from somewhere other than your own ass.

I have complained for decades about "conservatives" who spend like drunken sailors. I've complained about the cost of USA world police and our bloated military budget for decades. I have always been opposed to plunging into the quagmire of war/nation building in the middle east. Further I have loudly stated many times that our healthcare system is profoundly broken. But you apparently thought you would make up some random allegations and throw them against the wall. Stupid behavior on your part.

So given that we are in deep debt, that we have massively overspent, tell me where the 97 trillion is coming from? It's a legitimate question. I understand that you want a fix for our broken health care system. But 97 trillion? From where? We are in a horrible financial position as it sits. You want to go deeper? Try and look at this like an adult instead of a juvenile making out his Christmas list.
That’s fair that you may have railed against all those things. My apologies. You can’t deny it is a typical argument though?

How are we going to pay for it? Haven’t you heard we print money?

Seriously though how about cut military spending. Focus the military budget on taking care of and educating vets. Cancel the tanks. Then raise taxes on the top 1 %. Billionaires like Bill Gates and Warren Buffet support that approach, they don’t want your white knighting screaming “wealth distribution!” How is that for a start?

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
Free cars would do more for productivity and business development than free college
I’ve heard it said it is better to teach someone to fish rather than buy them a fishing pole? Or is it buy them the fish I can’t remember?

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
You don’t know what I make you presumptuous moran. Even if I counted my out of pocket medical expenses as taxes I would still get taxed less than a western Euro country. Dumfuk.
So everybody in Europe are poor because of this?

They don't get anything in return for their taxes?

There are no rich people or profitable companies in EU, SOSHULISM.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
I was reading about that. That we’d actually be “saving”

idk. Had an accident two days ago. Getting mri today. I’d hate to be waiting months to be seen

I’ll also say that insurance is a joke right now. The hsa plans are dogshit. You have to pay your deductible before they pay anything. Thanks Obama
What makes you think it would take months to be seen if you've had an accident?

Where are you getting this bullshit from?

Emergencies and urgent cases are treated just like here.

Non essential surgeries and treatments, there's a wait, just like here.

I waited 4 months for my surfer's ear surgery in the US, which is the same amount of time I waited for deviated septum surgery in the UK caused by a broken nose 20 years earlier.

This is kind of lie that gets spread on Facebook and rubes are regurgitating it everywhere.

Also, good luck with the MRI, hope it's not serious.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
So everybody in Europe are poor because of this?

They don't get anything in return for their taxes?

There are no rich people or profitable companies in EU, SOSHULISM.
lol, strawman much? Where did I say anything about euros being poor? More delusions from you.

Yes, it seems that they do get a lot in return. Although I’d rather pocket the extra cash and decide for myself what I should buy instead of giving it to the state.

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
lol, strawman much? Where did I say anything about euros being poor? More delusions from you.

Yes, it seems that they do get a lot in return. Although I’d rather pocket the extra cash and decide for myself what I should buy instead of giving it to the state.
You are going to buy yourself a bridge and a bullet train to LAX?

Sick!

• Haha
Reactions: trevorbc

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
You are going to buy yourself a bridge and a bullet train to LAX?

Sick!
Lol, more strawman. Yes, I would rather pocket an extra $20k/year than have a fancy train that connects Turlock to Bako.

I can’t think of any places I drive where a bridge is needed where there isn’t one already. Plus they have this really neat and innovative system known as “tolls” where you pay a few to use the bridge when you need it, which helps pay for the upkeep. Revolutionary!

Reactions: Ifallalot

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Lol, more strawman. Yes, I would rather pocket an extra $20k/year than have a fancy train that connects Turlock to Bako.

I can’t think of any places I drive where a bridge is needed where there isn’t one already. Plus they have this really neat and innovative system known as “tolls” where you pay a few to use the bridge when you need it, which helps pay for the upkeep. Revolutionary!
$20K?

Was it hard pulling that out of your ass?

Because it's a big lie.

Must have hurt. :cry: