Can we talk for a second? Cutting sugar out of your diet......

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
It's good to experiment.

You could try upping your protein and see how you respond.

If you are lifting heavy weights, you might do better with more protein.

Same as if you are doing heavy manual labour.
No need for me to experiment. Was a meat eater for 33 years (sometimes 100-150 grams per day while lifting) and been a vegetarian/vegan for 6 years. I prefer the way I feel as the later. I still think meat smells and tastes delicious, but I see better energy, clarity and digestion this way with no downside. I don't care about animals dying (although some factory farming is depressing). I don't fuck with fake meat. Eat the same amount of carbs as when I ate meat. I will not be eating 200 grams of protein daily (too much time, too expensive and too many calories). Do whatever works best for you. It's just food.

I'm not anti-meat, I'm pro-vegetable.

Last edited:
Reactions: encladd

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I don't know the name of plenty of the world's best athletes. Name recognition isn't a great basis for your assertion.
Nice dodge. So you’ve never heard of Michael Jordan, Tom Brady, Wayne Gretzky, Andrei Agassi, Usain Bolt, or Michael Phelps? Do you live under a rock?

Being a pro skateboarder, which Cab appears to be top level at historically so good on him, is impressive. But it also makes you a big fish in a very small pond, in a sport that is more skill and bravery based than pure athleticism. The same way I wouldn’t consider a 4th degree karate black belt who can do a 720 jumping spin kick to be a world class athlete, although they are certainly skilled.

I’d say that probably every NBA player, most non-lineman in the NFL, pro tennis players, most Olympians, and most pro soccer players in Europe and South America would be considered more athletic than most probably every pro skateboarder.

Reactions: afoaf

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Nice dodge. So you’ve never heard of Michael Jordan, Tom Brady, Wayne Gretzky, Andrei Agassi, Usain Bolt, or Michael Phelps? Do you live under a rock?

Being a pro skateboarder, which Cab appears to be top level at historically so good on him, is impressive. But it also makes you a big fish in a very small pond, in a sport that is more skill and bravery based than pure athleticism. The same way I wouldn’t consider a 4th degree karate black belt who can do a 720 jumping spin kick to be a world class athlete, although they are certainly skilled.

I’d say that probably every NBA player, most non-lineman in the NFL, pro tennis players, most Olympians, and most pro soccer players in Europe and South America would be considered more athletic than most probably every pro skateboarder.
You’re on this forum and seem to not understand who Steve Caballero is. I don’t know what’s weirder....that or your pointless word salad on the topic.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

Most high level athletes eat meat....like greater than 99%. The ones that don't either fall off dramatically, or have nutritionists preparing them meals that meet the nutrition requirements for their sport and them personally to compete or perform at a high level.

It's pretty foolish to measure your training or nutrition by what a high level athlete is doing. They are genetically superior to you and emaciated will outperform Joe Sixpack at everything.

Reactions: grapedrink

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
No need for me to experiment. Was a meat eater for 33 years (sometimes 100-150 grams per day while lifting) and been a vegetarian/vegan for 6 years. I prefer the way I feel as the later. I still think meat smells and tastes delicious, but I see better energy, clarity and digestion this way with no downside. I don't care about animals dying (although some factory farming is depressing). I don't fook with fake meat. Eat the same amount of carbs as when I ate meat. I will not be eating 200 grams of protein daily (too much time, too expensive and too many calories). Do whatever works best for you. It's just food.

I'm not anti-meat, I'm pro-vegetable.
Plant based diets are a perfectly normal way to eat if that's what you like and I hope I wasn't coming off as anti-plant based. People whop enjoy meet, like myself have to pay attention to fiber and plant based nutrients the same way. You can get everything you need through food and if need be supplementation. It just takes planning. The good news is there's a ton of nutrition information at your fingertips for just about every piece of edible food on the planet so you can meet your needs without worry. if I were you I would pay attention to Protein, Essential and Branch Chain Amino Acid consumption and see how it makes you feel. Just try and get 120 grams of complete protein per day for a couple weeks and see if it makes you feel different. I'm guessing if a plant based diet made you feel remarkably better, getting your nutrients dialed in will be a home run.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
You’re on this forum and seem to not understand who Steve Caballero is. I don’t know what’s weirder....that or your pointless word salad on the topic.
Never been a skateboarder. Sry.

Again, how does being a high-ranking skateboarder make someone “one of the best athletes ever”? Amazing skateboarder and yes, very skilled, but that is quite a leap.

That may be one of the most laughable statements ever typed on this forum. No small feat.

Reactions: laidback and afoaf

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
You are ALL overthinking this. Just fucking eat drink smoke skateboard who cares, it doesn't make that much difference (to me)
I had no idea I should be eating that much protein, though. Good thing I like meat and live in America, have a job and all that.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Never been a skateboarder. Sry.

Again, how does being a high-ranking skateboarder make someone “one of the best athletes ever”? Amazing skateboarder and yes, very skilled, but that is quite a leap.

That may be one of the most laughable statements ever typed on this forum. No small feat.

Read your first sentence and then read your last.

Ignorance is bliss.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
You are ALL overthinking this. Just fucking eat drink smoke skateboard who cares, it doesn't make that much difference (to me)
I had no idea I should be eating that much protein, though. Good thing I like meat and live in America, have a job and all that.

We don't need nearly as much protein as all the self-proclaimed experts claim we do.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Read your first sentence and then read your last.

Ignorance is bliss.
Keep dodging. You said something dumb and you know it, which is why you are not bothering to argue what makes Cab “one of the best athletes ever”. The level of physical fitness required to excel at skateboarding is absolutely laughable compared to just about every other sport. I can easily think of a dozen NBA players who would be deserving of that title, let alone NFL, tennis, soccer, MMA, olympians, etc.

Hopefully Soros doesn’t increase your post quota for this.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
We don't need nearly as much protein as all the self-proclaimed experts claim we do.
Source? How much do you think is needed?

This is a good meta analysis that recommends 3-4 meals of 30-40 grams (but at least 2.5 grams leucine per meal) of protein per day, so basically 90-160 grams/day. This is specifically in regards to muscle protein synthesis, so more could be needed for other functions, however still less than what the supplement companies claim.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I think people have different definitions of "athlete". If skaters aren't athletes, pro baseball players and golfers sure aren't, either.

Reactions: afoaf

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
Surely, conditioned and conscious not intuitive thinking is at fault here?

No hominid could have survived refusing meat as humans made their way(s) out of Africa to colonise the globe.
I'm looking to move closer to the coast. You think more meat will help?

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I think people have different definitions of "athlete". If skaters aren't athletes, pro baseball players and golfers sure aren't, either.
I agree 100%. Many baseball players are overweight and/or of average fitness, but they are extremely skilled to an almost robotic level. Same for golfers.

In contrast, most NBA players can perform a wide variety of physical feats and are all in very good shape. Same goes for pro soccer and a lot of NFL players.