Can we talk for a second? Cutting sugar out of your diet......

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
You need about 60 grams per day just to be alive and support organ function, give or take. I suspect you're getting more than you realize.

Too little protein and you don't recover as well from physical exertion, recovery poorly from injury....things like broken bones, burns, soft tissue injuries etc. Also your brain function is less than optimal etc etc etc.

I can't say how much you need exactly, but if you are physically active your needs would be greater than if you are sedentary. Are you trying to lose weight, gain muscle...perhaps just surf daily and go to the gym a few times a week? Not gain much weight but training to replace fat with lean muscle tissue?

Without making assumptions, I would say somewhere between 130 and 220 grams per day. The body is resilient though so you're not going to die if you don't.....you're just not at your best.

Would you say you're at your best?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Agreed. Those studies show that the distribution throughout the day in addition to the quantity is also important. Most people do not get enough protein at breakfast, so that's an easy change a lot of people can make and see improved results.
I have a plant based shake twice a day. brown rice and pea isolate. 24 grams of protein. I don't eat animal protein every day. Every other. No way I'm getting 200 grams of protein and i don't feel i need to.

Reactions: encladd

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I have a plant based shake twice a day. brown rice and pea isolate. 24 grams of protein. I don't eat animal protein every day. Every other. No way I'm getting 200 grams of protein and i don't feel i need to.
People often confuse sufficient with optimal when it comes to these sorts of recommendations. Sufficient is fine for most people. I never said anything about getting 200 grams. A lot of meta studies of peer reviewed experiments have settled on the consensus that around 0.7 grams per pound of body weight is enough is maintain muscle mass. That is with a safety factor of a few standard deviations built in, so in reality 0.5-0.6 grams/lb is probably enough for most people who do moderate levels of physical activity.

There could be situations where more is required, such as trying to maintain muscle mass while losing weight. Higher amounts have been suggested for those of advanced age, although I've heard that those recs are based on people who do not weight train. Those of advanced age who weight train might be fine with the same amount of protein as younger folks since the weight training sends the signal to build muscle, although I'm not sure if that's been studied.

I've tried pea based proteins before, and I wanted to like them, but they tore up my digestion.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Old people need more because as you age your body doesn't process (MPS) protein as well.

Unless you are very deficient in protein, you aren't going to feel like you need more....but if you increased your intake of complete proteins you would feel better and probably notice what you've been missing in a couple weeks time. More energy, more focus.

All recent studies on protein intake are trending upward. .5-.6 grams per pound of bodyweight is just a little more than necessary to support life...depending on the person. The good news is that your body will rob resources from non essential tissues in order to stay alive but this isn't a good thing and is more than just muscle wasting.

Pancakes15

OTF status
Mar 17, 2015
Compared to what alternatives? How are you defining "healthy"? Meat and dairy have the ability to give you more protein with less calories and volume. Beef is arguably the most nutritionally dense food in the world. Plus you can always choose leaner cuts if saturated fat and cholesterol are a concern.

Some of the most nutritionally garbage foods are vegan foods that are designed to mimic animal products. Almond and rice milk are a perfect example, given that they are essentially devoid of nutrients and contain mostly sugar.

Gorillas and chimps also spend the majority of their day chewing on grass and leaves. Sign me up.
You are so misinformed. Most vegans, much like most meat eaters eat like garbage. You show me 1 unhealthy vegan, I can show you 1,000 unhealthy meat eaters.

Clean vegans eat fruits, vegetables, grains, and nuts not rice milk and fake burgers. Sorry to spoil your reasoning for not eating healthier.

Reactions: encladd

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
You are so misinformed. Most vegans, much like most meat eaters eat like garbage. You show me 1 unhealthy vegan, I can show you 1,000 unhealthy meat eaters.
What exactly am I wrong about? Please cite examples and use science instead of blanket statements.

Yes, I agree that many meat eaters are unhealthy. However its not the meat itself that makes them unhealthy. It's also the fried foods, crap oils, excess sugars, lack of activity, and overall calorie excess that contributes to their poor health.

Clean vegans eat fruits, vegetables, grains, and nuts not rice milk and fake burgers. Sorry to spoil your reasoning for not eating healthier.
I eat plenty of veggies, fruits, starchy veggies, legumes etc as well. This is the problem with vegans and all epidemiological research on the subject. They compare vegans/vegetarians to meat eaters without controlling for other factors, as if they 2 types of eating are absolutely binary. You can still eat a whole foods based diet with moderate amounts of animal protein and still be very healthy, if not possibly healthier because you are getting nutrients that are almost non-existent in plant foods.

Shocker, I know!

Reactions: Ifallalot and Havoc

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Also, protein comes from plants, not animals.

You're eating recycled protein by eating meat.

Sorry to spoil another meat industry myth.
Wow, shocker! How much grass or iceberg lettuce would you have to eat in order to get 100-150 grams of protein per day? Or even with beans and lentils for that matter?

Yes, animals are great at condensing nutrients. They also do that with B12, omega 3 fats, choline, and many other nutrients that you would have to eat a sh!t ton of plants in order to absorb and utilize.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I never tell people what they should or shouldn't eat. Do what works best for you. It's just food.

Edit: vonmeister, you say 70-80 grams is for someone 30-50 pounds? I'm 185 pounds, you're saying I should be consuming 250-300+ grams of protein?
It's good to experiment.

You could try upping your protein and see how you respond.

If you are lifting heavy weights, you might do better with more protein.

Same as if you are doing heavy manual labour.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
I go to work every day with a banana, an orange or grapefruit, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and an apple. I eat the banana for breakfast and the rest in order through the day. I probably lost 15 lbs that way over time and it's been easier to stay thinner not getting a sandwich at the deli - lunch was keeping me a bit too fat. I was using Skippy peanut butter and at BJ's Warehouse they started carrying "Natural Skippy" but reading the two labels it was basically the same as regular. Then I saw Smucker's natural at Wallmart and it was just peanuts nothing else - comparing it to Skippy - whoa there was sugar added to Skippy (OK I was a little slow to realize that).

Switching to peanuts only Smuckers peanut butter at lunch I lost about 6 lbs over 6-8 months - a worthwhile change.
Post of the year so far. What sort of bread? Two slices a day? Do you store it in the freezer?
Whatever multigrain my wife buys - the fairly wide slices. And yes, just me, just two slices a day and she leaves it out in the kitchen - Hahahaha - I never thought about that! She makes the sandwich - I recently negotiated for a little bit more jelly - she had it almost not there at all.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Fun fact, the actual health benefits between multigrain and white wonder bread are not measurable......but the perceived benefits are huge.
Here’s another, machine made corn tortillas are 35 calories each. Six tortillas have less calories than 2 slices of multigrain bread.

Disclaimer: I love sourdough bread!

Reactions: laidback

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I never tell people what they should or shouldn't eat. Do what works best for you. It's just food.

Edit: vonmeister, you say 70-80 grams is for someone 30-50 pounds? I'm 185 pounds, you're saying I should be consuming 250-300+ grams of protein?

I am sure he will answer, but I think he said something about "lean body mass."

So, sad to say, you are not 185 pounds of lean body.

However, you can figure out what it is here.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
paraphrasing Driftcoast: running 10 miles more difficult than not stuffing your face)

(running 10 miles v not stuffing your face) I think the opposite is easier.
Long time ago, someone told me the average person burns about 100 calories running one mile.

Not sure if that is true, but this makes is sound close enough for non-scientific discussion, which means I'll get pilloried for using it here but for sake of ease of typing, will use it (and before someone says something about food calories really equal kilo-calories, yes yes, I am aware of this, but we're not in a lab so lets just use convention for time time being, please).

So if you are running 6 minute mile, it takes an hour to run off 1000 calories, then there is warm up/cool down, blah blah, blah, and you know, maybe me not eating too much is less time consuming. But if you derive a bit of pleasure running those 10 miles (or other calorie burning thing)....well, then maybe eating isn't stuffing your face?