Can we talk for a second? Cutting sugar out of your diet......

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Yea drinking milk from another animal is really natural.

Happens everywhere in the wild.
Do you know of any other species that cultivate their own food?

How many of the foods you eat everyday actually resemble what they looked like in the wild before human intervention?

Even if you were to make the argument that drinking milk is not natural, how exactly does that make it unhealthy?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Yea drinking milk from another animal is really natural.

Happens everywhere in the wild.
I agree with you that meat and dairy are less healthy foods than many of the alternatives and I fully support people who are vegan.

On the other hand, gorillas or chimps could figure out how to do it, they would......so the whole "it isn't natural" argument is kind of out the window. Animals (including humans) don't do something until.....until they do. And if it confers some selective advantage.......they keep on doing it, as was the case with consuming milk.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Does this thread mean there won't be an erBB gallon milk challenge?

For the record, I heard the same tirades against milk during an Equinox pyramid scheme talk a friend tried to get me into way back when. Yeah, that wasn't a summer job I was interested in. IIRC, they wanted you to pay for your own desk.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Cool, but are they also applying fertilizer and pesticides? Either way, maybe half a dozen out of millions.
Even with milk consumption, there are anomalies in the animal world as well: "Red Billed Oxpecker—a bird that can perch on the udders of an Impala and suck its milk. Besides the Oxpecker, birds like Seagulls and Sheathbills have been reported to pilfer milk directly from the teats of elephant seals. So, while it’s quite rare, milk stealing does happen between certain other species in the wild." https://www.scienceabc.com/humans/species-drink-milk-another-species.html

Plus, what about animals that die in the wild with milk still inside them? Are vulture and other scavenging animals (which includes insects) not consuming that milk?

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I agree with you that meat and dairy are less healthy foods than many of the alternatives and I fully support people who are vegan.
Compared to what alternatives? How are you defining "healthy"? Meat and dairy have the ability to give you more protein with less calories and volume. Beef is arguably the most nutritionally dense food in the world. Plus you can always choose leaner cuts if saturated fat and cholesterol are a concern.

Some of the most nutritionally garbage foods are vegan foods that are designed to mimic animal products. Almond and rice milk are a perfect example, given that they are essentially devoid of nutrients and contain mostly sugar.

On the other hand, gorillas or chimps could figure out how to do it, they would......so the whole "it isn't natural" argument is kind of out the window. Animals (including humans) don't do something until.....until they do. And if it confers some selective advantage.......they keep on doing it, as was the case with consuming milk.
Gorillas and chimps also spend the majority of their day chewing on grass and leaves. Sign me up.

Reactions: Ifallalot

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Veganism is far more unnatural for hominid species than omnivory.

Even the earliest proto-hominids like Australopithecus afarensis probably had some meat in the diet.

The appeal to nature is a very bad argument for vegans to make.

Veganism is an artifact of rich, western industrialised economies where calories are cheap and abundant.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Veganism is far more unnatural for hominid species than omnivory.

Even the earliest proto-hominids like Australopithecus afarensis probably had some meat in the diet.

The appeal to nature is a very bad argument for vegans to make.

Veganism is an artifact of rich, western industrialised economies where calories are cheap and abundant.
Yeah, I mean......evolution and ecology are things. We are omnivores.

Reactions: Ifallalot

lagunaboy

Michael Peterson status
Apr 24, 2017
I go to work every day with a banana, an orange or grapefruit, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and an apple. I eat the banana for breakfast and the rest in order through the day. I probably lost 15 lbs that way over time and it's been easier to stay thinner not getting a sandwich at the deli - lunch was keeping me a bit too fat. I was using Skippy peanut butter and at BJ's Warehouse they started carrying "Natural Skippy" but reading the two labels it was basically the same as regular. Then I saw Smucker's natural at Wallmart and it was just peanuts nothing else - comparing it to Skippy - whoa there was sugar added to Skippy (OK I was a little slow to realize that).

Switching to peanuts only Smuckers peanut butter at lunch I lost about 6 lbs over 6-8 months - a worthwhile change.
Post of the year so far. What sort of bread? Two slices a day? Do you store it in the freezer?

Reactions: tacos

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
For most people nothing, for some people a lot.

They are very high FODMAP foods. Both are high in insoluble fiber + the manner in which the juices are broken down in the intestine causes gas and diarrhea in some people.

I'm not sensitive to either but have experiences the garlic thing - horrific farts - after eating a lot of roasted garlic on bread or pizza.

That too.
Horrific farts are fun. Lighten up dude.

Reactions: tacos

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I used to eat a lot of candy and sweets. I hardly do any more. What worked for me was finding a mint that I liked (Icebreakers and Altoids). Whenever I crave sweets, pop one of those in your mouth. After eating a meal, pop one of those in your mouth. I hardly eat candy or sweets any more. Those mints are like 5 calories or something and have that weird sweetner taste to it. Makes you not want to eat anything after. At first I used eat like 5-6 of them a day, now I just eat 1-2 (after meals, when I usually would crave a dessert). Some days no mints.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I used to eat a lot of candy and sweets. I hardly do any more. What worked for me was finding a mint that I liked (Icebreakers and Altoids). Whenever I crave sweets, pop one of those in your mouth. After eating a meal, pop one of those in your mouth. I hardly eat candy or sweets any more. Those mints are like 5 calories or something and have that weird sweetner taste to it. Makes you not want to eat anything after. At first I used eat like 5-6 of them a day, now I just eat 1-2 (after meals, when I usually would crave a dessert). Some days no mints.
I like the mini cinnamon altoids. They have a sugar alcohol instead of sugar or artificial sweetener, so I'm not sure what's better or worse.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Horrific farts are fun. Lighten up dude.
It's the transition from Dutch Ovens to German Ovens (cabbage influence) that cause the trouble.

My wife cooks with a ton of garlic and the results, well, I tell her that she can't complain about the flatulence since it was her doing.

In a semi-related anecdote, we got a new sectional couch that is a lot comfier so I've at least got that going for me when I have excessive farts.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
we got a new sectional couch that is a lot comfier so I've at least got that going for me when I have excessive farts.
does it store the odor in the cushion? its always nice to plop down and get a micro sample of yesterday's gas. almost as good as ripping one in the car before you lock it up for the night.