paddling fatigue

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
No addictive. I have to force myself to take it.

You can put in a shake.

That is a good work out for surfing.

I would add military press.

And some rotation work

Nothing crazy.

If you are feeling crazy

I made a light weight one out of PVC and a soft ball to practice the moves. IF you buy one get a light one. I have a 10 pounder and it's heavy.

How much protein do are you eating?
not sure, fair bit.
lots of fish.

duck and chicken eggs.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I think it's in red meat.

It don't hurt your kidneys.

I would just not supplement with supplements you don't want to supplement your diet with.

I did read a few journal articles about it this morning, and I stand corrected.

My initial bs-calling is an old habit. Part of it comes from growing up in the punk/hc scene and just wanting to call bs on everything, part comes from my science schooling which made me question claims but also to examine the scientific merits of it.

Politics forum folks......if you're reading this.......see, that wasn't so hard, was it?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
There's a point at which I start to question the wisdom of so much weight training some surfers do. Wouldn't a surfer benefit most from developing mobility, training for explosive power, and interval training? Heavy weights should still be in your regimen somewhere but should be a fairly low percent of your regimen.

Any doctors or trainers in the house?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
loss of strength and flexibility are the downside to my life now. according to my family I must of had the brain injury all along.
And also being in debt up to my eyeballs. For the rest of my life. and yes even with insurance. Never be able to wear boots again either. will I surf again? who knows. I hope in some shape or form. small price to pay to still be alive.
You don't have to be in debt the rest of your life.
Wipe the slate clean. All these fucking illegals getting free health care. Junkies getting treatment while cancer patients get very little.

Don't wait another day. Talk to a bankruptcy attorney.

Last edited:

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
There's a point at which I start to question the wisdom of so much weight training some surfers do. Wouldn't a surfer benefit most from developing mobility, training for explosive power, and interval training? Heavy weights should still be in your regimen somewhere but should be a fairly low percent of your regimen.

Kinesiologist that fixed me told me the gym is my enemy. If you are surfing twice a week, all you are doing with working those upper body muscles again in the gym is making those muscles tight and reducing your range of motion. Work on legs and core. You don't need a gym for that. Stretch. Stretch. Stretch. Ever see guys in the water that don't stretch. Weak paddlers.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Kinesiologist that fixed me told me the gym is my enemy. If you are surfing twice a week, all you are doing with working those upper body muscles again in the gym is making those muscles tight and reducing your range of motion. Work on legs and core. You don't need a gym for that. Stretch. Stretch. Stretch. Ever see guys in the water that don't stretch. Weak paddlers.

I'm at my best surfing form when I'm surfing a lot. The gym never makes you more surf ready.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018

You can do both. A proper weight training session should only take 30-60 minutes. Weight training is great because it increases your testosterone. The main thing is staying at fighting weight. You can weight train without gaining weight, (or more weight than you want).

Reactions: hal9000

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
tastes like shite, no buzz.

anyhow, did the deadlifts, farmers carries, TGU's, single leg deadlifts and core work, ate a banana and sculled 5mg odd creatine dissolved in warm water.

no surf so might go do a couple hours flats fishing.
if u can add the low bar squat to ur routine it would help a lot. prly best full body movement out there

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
You can do both. A proper weight training session should only take 30-60 minutes. Weight training is great because it increases your testosterone. The main thing is staying at fighting weight. You can weight train without gaining weight, (or more weight than you want).

I agree with this too, and weight training session feels great afterward. Not overdoing it is the trick.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
been looking for a cheap rack.
been doing cossack squats with kettlebell, which is great for your ankle mobility.
First page third post. That’s good exercise. Nothing like getting worked for inspiration.

ThaDood

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2003
Playa Zen
my workout:
bench press - start with 75.lbs end with 125 - 60 reps total (25 75.lb ,20 100.lbs,15 125.lbs) - rest 1-2 minute between sets
lat pull on hammer strength machine - 30 .lbs each lat (60 total) 2 sets of 35 - rest 1-2 minute between
shoulder press on hammer strength machine - 25 .lbs each shoulder (50 total) 2 sets of 35 - rest 1-2 minute between
dumbbell curls (only free weight) - start with 25 .lbs , end with 35 - 75 reps total - rest 1-2 minute between each set
triceps on hammer strength machine - 45 .lbs each tricep - 2 sets 40 reps then 35 reps - rest 1-2 minute
then I do an assortment of 4 core exercises resting 1-2 minutes between each set
stationary bike 30 minutes start out 25% resistance increasing every 5 minutes with a good steady pace, not sprinting but not F'n off either until 3 minutes are left then I sprint the last 3 minutes increasing resistance every 60 seconds.

what I'm doing is what I call an extreme cardio. it may not work for everyone but it works for me. I mostly surf in Texas but I will do this routine for 90 days prior to a surf trip in central America. I'm able to surf the high tide window of 4-5 hours with very little fatigue......at 56 years of age.

Reactions: Havoc