Who's moved from mainland to Hawaii (Kauai)

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
If you have an opportunity to live on a beautiful island with great weather, nice people, great food, quiet living, and, what is widely regarded as the world's best, most powerful, and most consistent surf, why wouldn't you? If you don't like it, come home.

Although I've never lived there, my experiences in Hawaii have always been terrific, humbling, and intense. The quality of life is worth the expense IMO. I mean, if you can buy it with money, it's cheap!
Remember that Sunset session we had? That was a good one.

Reactions: teeroi

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
If you have an opportunity to live on a beautiful island with great weather, nice people, great food, quiet living, and, what is widely regarded as the world's best, most powerful, and most consistent surf, why wouldn't you? If you don't like it, come home.

Although I've never lived there, my experiences in Hawaii have always been terrific, humbling, and intense. The quality of life is worth the expense IMO. I mean, if you can buy it with money, it's cheap!
this makes a lot of sense.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
"....who hang at our house and eat all my food."

probably the funniest thing I've read all month

only a dad knows the feeling

ps. CLOSE THE FRIDGE
We put a chain lock on the top of the pantry door specifically because of this!

noone999

OTF status
Sep 13, 2012
HI
Moved to Kauai from North County San Diego. Love it here. We live in Kalaheo. If you move to the west side because of your job, it is NOTHING like the north shore that the above people speak of. It is not moneyfied. Just be cool, laid back, and don't act like you do on the mainland. This is their home, not yours. Even if your kids are part Mexican, they will stick out just by the way they speak, act, and dress. It's very obvious. It takes time to be somewhat accepted here. You will never "fit" in because you weren't born here, don't expect to. Be respectful of everyone and everything and you will be ok.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yes it's expensive here, but so many things are free.

- Yesterday my wife and I walked from our house to the ocean, about 25 minutes. Jumped in the water, saw a few fish and a small turtle. Walked back and saw a rainbow against the mountains. I don't know what that costs, but it was free.

- Tap water is the best in the country.

- There's always a rideable wave somewhere on the island.

- Amazing hikes all over the place.

I wouldn't be worried about your kids. In my experience, when families move out here the wives have the harder time. Their really isn't sh!t to do if you don't like the beach, hiking, surfing, golfing, fishing, paddling, etc.

Last edited:

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Myron B. Thompson is a good home/charter school, full accredited. So is HTA, if you want to go that route. We have used both to supplement, just having my kids take online classes, tutorials, to keep them ahead of the curve. Problem is they get less social interaction, and so many of the charter schools are full of religious or quasi-religious bullshit. Kahuku and Punahou send the most students from Hawaii to Washington National History Day each year, Kahuku is nationally competitive in We The People, has great athletics (but shitty facilities), good speech and debate. Notice these programs are all voluntary, and require very few resources, as do AP classes.

Hawaii public schools are shitty. No doubt. It's just that I always see that interpreted as "they are dangerous for white kids," which ain't really true. There are a TON of fights at Kahuku, between every ethnicity. But just fist fights. Hug, friends aftah. I surfed yesterday with a kid I scrapped in high school. We good. :)

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I have two girls. Is that better or worse?

Is Mexican haole? I kept getting asked if I was portagee last time I was there. My wife is Puerto Rican but she’s haole white..
Same here my wife is Tica and usually white as yuca most think I am the Latino. Eddie would go so should you....

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Yes it's expensive here, but so many things are free.

- Yesterday my wife and I walked from our house to the ocean, about 25 minutes. Jumped in the water, saw a few fish and a small turtle. Walked back and saw a rainbow against the mountains. I don't know what that costs, but it was free.

- Tap water is the best in the country.

- There's always a rideable wave somewhere on the island.

- Amazing hikes all over the place.

I wouldn't be worried about your kids. In my experience, when families move out here the wives have the harder time. Their really isn't sh!t to do if you don't like the beach, hiking, surfing, golfing, fishing, paddling, etc.
I would move to Hawaii in an absolute heartbeat if I could convince my wife (if they had Trader Joe's, that would help the cause :LOL:). My career (environmental geology) is pretty niche and I could see it being a bit hard to break into something along those lines, especially on outer islands. Then again, I guess that's the Catch-22 of it. Like anywhere I guess, you want to get away from the crowds/traffic/bustle, you're not going to really find the jobs as a result.

Aside from a few items, cost of living doesn't seem to be that much worse than Southern California. Similarly, though, probably couldn't afford private school so it would be public for the kids. Good points above about the quality being economic-dependent although do have some concerns as one of my kids is special needs, has IEP, and such, have heard varying reports about quality of services in that sense.

Sigh... maybe one day, maybe never. But worst case, it'll always be there to visit.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Aside from a few items, cost of living doesn't seem to be that much worse than Southern California. Similarly, though, probably couldn't afford private school so it would be public for the kids. Good points above about the quality being economic-dependent although do have some concerns as one of my kids is special needs, has IEP, and such, have heard varying reports about quality of services in that sense.
I lived in both places and the cost of living is similar. Hawaii is a bit more expensive, but not by much. San Diego and Orange County and very expensive compared to the rest of the USA.

The biggest difference is the property taxes. Hawaii has one of the lowest property tax rates in the nation. California and Prop 13 make the first couple years of home ownership painful.

Housing PMT - Same. Paying 3K to 4K is pretty standard in Hawaii and California.
Groceries - couple hundred more in Hawaii
Income Tax - about the same
Sales/Excise Tax - similar. CA is higher but Hawaii you get taxed on more transactions
Utilities - Higher in Hawaii. But don't need to run A/C or heat often. My electric bill is only 130$ per month.
Gas - Cheaper in Hawaii for some reason
Surf - Much better in Hawaii. Warm year around. No wetsuits.

Only downside is I did a lot of ski and travel trips in California that I can no longer do without buying a plane ticket.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
thank you everyone this is great info. yeah, im super excited at the possibility, but its also real heavy to think we'd be moving so far away from our families and just a huge change. also, Los Angeles has just destroyed my soul. I grew up here, and it's gotten so so crowded in 40 years, its just the employment that keeps us here. they sounded like they want to make something happen, just waiting to hear back.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Hawaii is great. But it is expensive. I am considering moving up to the PNW cause I like the climate and lack of crowds.

The surf is really really really good though.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I lived in both places and the cost of living is similar. Hawaii is a bit more expensive, but not by much. San Diego and Orange County and very expensive compared to the rest of the USA.

The biggest difference is the property taxes. Hawaii has one of the lowest property tax rates in the nation. California and Prop 13 make the first couple years of home ownership painful.

Housing PMT - Same. Paying 3K to 4K is pretty standard in Hawaii and California.
Sales/Excise Tax - similar. CA is higher but Hawaii you get taxed on more transactions
Utilities - Higher in Hawaii. But don't need to run A/C or heat often. My electric bill is only 130$ per month.

Only downside is I did a lot of ski and travel trips in California that I can no longer do without buying a plane ticket.
Nice breakdown there - thanks. I hear you about the ski trips in California. I would miss snowboarding but the cost has gotten so far out of reach (a weekend in Mammoth for a family of four is easily a few grand) that it can really kiss my ass. Slowly but surely, I'm moving on from it. Occasional Baldy and Waterman sesh is good but I wouldn't stay in CA just for that. I would miss areas like Central Coast and hiking in local mountains/Sierras. That would be hard to get away from, although there's just as much beauty in Hawaii, if not more.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
They want everyone to buy a season pass. Although there's a couple smaller mountains keeping the dream alive for families. I went to a few in Tahoe.

Problem is mammoth is the only game in town unless you drive three more hours to Tahoe. You can do Tahoe on the cheap if you know your way around. Mammoth not so much. The lodging costs in Mammoth is really expensive. For what the small condo I rented in mammoth cost I could have got a room at the Marriott at the base of heavenly.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I’m from Oahu and when I visit Kauai I stick out. It’s been awhile since I’ve been there but my boy just went with my mom for a family reunion and had a blast.

I remember surfing Pakala and being called Honolulu. When they would ask what I was doing on Kauai I would say visiting my cuz. Who dat? Kauai is still a small island where everyone knows everyone . I’m lucky my Hawaiian family on Kauai is respected. But I would never take advantage of a guest pass and make an ass of myself. It would reflect badly on my cousins.

Reactions: jkb and rts265

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

need to support the $90-100k a year full benefits and salary k-12 california teachers lolz

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
It’s insane to me how much it cost to live in Hawaii and how much people spend on their home.

I just don’t get it. Where does everyone get the money?