Who's moved from mainland to Hawaii (Kauai)

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Jeez...I love Kauai, but the thought of putting your head down, dont look at anyone, your not from here, etc...to live like that is not living...
I don't think its like that at all. I travel all over the Hawaiian islands to surf and explore with my wife and kids. No one has ever hassled me or even asked where I'm from. I maintain that the people who have trouble in Hawaii are the types that have trouble everywhere.

Here's an example. I was surfing at a somewhat secret break on the east side of Oahu. There were three other guys out when I showed up. Two heavy locals and a transplant that I knew. Transplant is on a longboard and starts taking every set wave. In between sets he is telling the two locals about how he just bought his house on the water and the one next to him sold for $10M. Just a total tone deaf idiot. The two locals just started burning the guy and were waiting for him to say something. The transplant took the hint and left. Don't be that guy and you'll be fine.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I've only been to Kauai before Iniki and have only see pics and videos of the traffic and new development. It was pretty rad, lots of cane fields to drive to to surf or get to an empty beach, the Hyatt was a dirt road to shipwrecks, etc. We'd drive on sand at the base down to surf, my first wave surfed in Hawaii ever was Kekaha, first fish ever speared on the south shore, first shave ice at Victorias(?) in dt Poipu. I really liked the small town/community of it all.

Reactions: teeroi

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
I've never lived in Kauai but I have been traveling there for over 40 years. My parents first took me in 1972 and I've been going back ever since. Not once have I had a serious problem with any local. As people have said before, this is their home so live and play by local rules. Smile, it will go much farther than it would on the mainland. If you make eye contact, smile...or look away. Never give someone a reason to question you. Kauai is the most beautiful land on earth and you should feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to live there. I envy your position.

Reactions: teeroi and jkb

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Here's an example. I was surfing at a somewhat secret break on the east side of Oahu. There were three other guys out when I showed up. Two heavy locals and a transplant that I knew. Transplant is on a longboard and starts taking every set wave. In between sets he is telling the two locals about how he just bought his house on the water and the one next to him sold for $10M. Just a total tone deaf idiot. The two locals just started burning the guy and were waiting for him to say something. The transplant took the hint and left. Don't be that guy and you'll be fine.
There are many people who are complete morons like this and end up getting beat up or threatened then they go around telling everyone that the locals are angry and racist.

Another example. Was surfing an outer break and this older haole guy starts yelling at me as we are paddling for a wave. He was on a SUP. He told me that he called the wave so it is his and I told him that isnt how it works. Dude just loads up the F bombs.

Then tells me if I hit him he will sue and he made alot of money suing street thugs surfers like me when he lived in San Diego.

I wasn't going to fall for his trap so I told him go back to Cardiff and learn to paddle a stand up board standing and not on your knees. dude turned red and left.

Same thing happens all over. Guys who are tone deaf and show up and just act like morons.

Reactions: teeroi

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
If it happens, it'll be the local Asian girls who will be the ones who are racist and mean to your daughters.

As youcan'tbeserious said, might be good for them in the long run.

Reactions: jamesgang

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Jeez...I love Kauai, but the thought of putting your head down, dont look at anyone, your not from here, etc...to live like that is not living...
Nobody is saying to live like a turtle. Just be a normal person and you'll be fine. Hawaiians aren't trying to take your liberties away lol.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
this and the Indo thread are making me a little batty. Just count your blessings subway, and keep going on lots of epic trips

byoda

OTF status
Jan 3, 2006
There are many people who are complete morons like this and end up getting beat up or threatened then they go around telling everyone that the locals are angry and racist.

Another example. Was surfing an outer break and this older haole guy starts yelling at me as we are paddling for a wave. He was on a SUP. He told me that he called the wave so it is his and I told him that isnt how it works. Dude just loads up the F bombs.

Then tells me if I hit him he will sue and he made alot of money suing street thugs surfers like me when he lived in San Diego.

I wasn't going to fall for his trap so I told him go back to Cardiff and learn to paddle a stand up board standing and not on your knees. dude turned red and left.

Same thing happens all over. Guys who are tone deaf and show up and just act like morons.
its stuff like that makes me treasure the 20yrs i spent on the eastside starting in the mid 60's. Even if i could afford moving to my old neighborhood i wouldnt it would drive me F___ing bananas

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
its stuff like that makes me treasure the 20yrs i spent on the eastside starting in the mid 60's. Even if i could afford moving to my old neighborhood i wouldnt it would drive me F___ing bananas
I am still hanging on. Kailua is def not like how it was when I was growing up. Its insanely crowded now.

The surf is still good at the east side spots so I am still stoked and surfing.

But downtown Kailua and all the neighborhoods are trash. All mainlanders or senior military officers with money.

goingoutside

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 7, 2016
Death will set you free! :poop:
" Then said Jesus to those Jews who believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and we were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou,
ye shall be made free?

Jesus answered them, verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the sevant of sin.
And the servant abideth not in the house for ever; but the Son abideth ever.

If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. "

John 8:31-36 KJV

" For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.
The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. "

1 Corinthians 15: 25-26 KJV

Had to comment, important subject...." The last enemy "

....I am goingout side now... I lived on Kauai for a short time....right before, The Lord Jesus Christ made me free....

• Dislike
Reactions: jkb