Who's moved from mainland to Hawaii (Kauai)

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
Kauai is different than the rest of the islands. My friends from Kauai will readily admit that. A few of them haven't lived there since college and one got hassled in the water last year. Well, it didn't go well for the hassler, who later told my friend that he went to high school with him, and got the response of You were a dumb ass back then and you're still a dumb ass now. Surf is great. You will find all the spots. Groceries = Costco Gas = Costco lunch/Dinner = Costco Heck, if we had Costco in Hilo, wife said she would never cook again.
I think the key will be how well your wife acclimates to the island. I've seen many a couple/family come out from the mainland and the wife can't seem to make friends, find a job, etc. and then she takes one trip back to the mainland and that's it, not coming back. Ends up in divorce or everyone moving back.
Try hook up with the legend PPK. And order a board or two from a Kauai shaper. Good luck.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Been thinking about retiring to haole-side Oahu. Rent out my house here, rent one there for about the same $. Maybe some things cost more but I live in a pretty expensive place so it's all good. The ski trip thing looms large for me, though. I love the mountains as much as the ocean. Could be a showstopper.

Never had anything but good vibes from locals in many trips but I am old and super low-key and never forget I am a visitor. My older brothers got to grow up haole in Hawaii in the late 1950s and have some stories. I was just a little kid not even in school, no memories. They went to Catholic school in Kaimuki - St. Patricks, I think. Only back then, instead of "Hey haole-boy, maybe you take next plane back mainland, eh?", it was "Hey haole-boy, maybe you take next steamship back mainland, eh?"

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Mountains are a big draw for me as well. That’s why I’m considering leaving Oahu for the mountains.

I like snowboarding a lot.

Anyone ever surf in Oregon? Cause if you live mountains there you could always chase swells to the coast

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Los Angeles has just destroyed my soul.
Born and raised in Hawaii. Went to college in LA. Graduated in 2002 and moved back to Hawaii. Haven't been to LA since. I don't even like having a layover in LAX. If LA is crushing your soul, then Hawaii will feel incredible.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Kauai is different than the rest of the islands. My friends from Kauai will readily admit that. A few of them haven't lived there since college and one got hassled in the water last year. Well, it didn't go well for the hassler, who later told my friend that he went to high school with him, and got the response of You were a dumb ass back then and you're still a dumb ass now. Surf is great. You will find all the spots. Groceries = Costco Gas = Costco lunch/Dinner = Costco Heck, if we had Costco in Hilo, wife said she would never cook again.
I think the key will be how well your wife acclimates to the island. I've seen many a couple/family come out from the mainland and the wife can't seem to make friends, find a job, etc. and then she takes one trip back to the mainland and that's it, not coming back. Ends up in divorce or everyone moving back.
Try hook up with the legend PPK. And order a board or two from a Kauai shaper. Good luck.
Being trapped on an island is not for everyone.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I gave up snowboarding years ago. So much time and money. A couple grand for a family weekend? Pffft can’t afford that.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I’m from Oahu and when I visit Kauai I stick out. It’s been awhile since I’ve been there but my boy just went with my mom for a family reunion and had a blast.

I remember surfing Pakala and being called Honolulu. When they would ask what I was doing on Kauai I would say visiting my cuz. Who dat? Kauai is still a small island where everyone knows everyone . I’m lucky my Hawaiian family on Kauai is respected. But I would never take advantage of a guest pass and make an ass of myself. It would reflect badly on my cousins.
Haha the guy I talked to told me about pakalas said it’s mellow no hassles :LOL:

Soul crushing? It’s the amount of people. Transplants (ironic for me to say). Everyone is rude and looking out for just themselves. Surfing is stressful once the crowds hit. I go to lunch early so I don’t have to compete for parking. We don’t leave far from home except to visit family. Everything just too crowded. Mortgage is ok but property tax is brutal. I think we’re at capacity but I imagine more will come.

Wife is biggest worry. She’s acting like she’s all into it but idk if it’s bs and I think she’s never seen anything close to the localism stuff. I think I said on another thread I dated a girl with family in the country on Oahu. I got a lot of sh!t from them, but it was friendly. My friend has family and connections on west side and just laughs at me talking about moving there. Keeps saying when in doubt don’t go out. Lol.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
If you've lived in a coastal area over the past 20 years odds are you'll eventually become a transplant, often who moved to escape transplants.

Just realize coastal areas are basically fcked these days, full of transplants and yuppie transplants.

Hawaiians are transplanting themselves elsewhere.

Just like Californians.

The internet/AirBnB has completely crapped on coastal areas.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
15,000 standalone AirBnBs in San Diego... yet they're passing increased density zoning for highrises because there's a "housing crisis."

Every coastal area I've lived in has been basically in an accelerated state of ruin over the past 20 years.

You just have to expect the worst.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
15,000 standalone AirBnBs in San Diego... yet they're passing increased density zoning for highrises because there's a "housing crisis."

Every coastal area I've lived in has been basically in an accelerated state of ruin over the past 20 years.

You forgot to login as steak.

Reactions: bird.LA

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006

I would not live at the beach in SoCal even if I could afford it. Traffic. Too crowded. Too many dirtballs. Summer influx blows. I lived within a mile of the beach from 1991 to 2011 and I never thought I would be happy living inland. I love not dealing with all that. I surf early morning and that's it. Every now and then a sunset happy hour.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Pakala is mellow. There’s no s in the Hawaiian language. Saying Pakalas is technically wrong. Got a lesson from Prof. Carlos Andrade who lives on Kauai.

Someone calling me Honolulu was just their way of letting me know they know. I might’ve been having too much fun out there. Haha

Reactions: griffinsurfboard

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I was there decades ago for a couple of weeks so can't speak to living there. I do remember an article about Laird Hamilton titled "Waiting for the Bell" or something like that. It talked about how, at school, Laird was getting beat up constantly (because he was haole) and so he couldn't wait for the bell to ring so he could get out of there and go surf. It sounded like a difficult existence. But that too was decades ago.

byoda

OTF status
Jan 3, 2006
Mountains are a big draw for me as well. That’s why I’m considering leaving Oahu for the mountains.

I like snowboarding a lot.

Anyone ever surf in Oregon? Cause if you live mountains there you could always chase swells to the coast
lookup hurricane ridge snoboard and surf same day
btw theres great surf in seaside or

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Jeez...I love Kauai, but the thought of putting your head down, dont look at anyone, your not from here, etc...to live like that is not living...

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Jeez...I love Kauai, but the thought of putting your head down, dont look at anyone, your not from here, etc...to live like that is not living...
only a couple people said something kind of like that...I'm not getting that from the replies.