Who's moved from mainland to Hawaii (Kauai)

Kaido

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
Yeah it's expensive in the islands. Just like anywhere nice these days it seems. I feel bad for renters, it's ridiculous now.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Yeah it's expensive in the islands. Just like anywhere nice these days it seems. I feel bad for renters, it's ridiculous now.
As much as I like hawaii and surfing or living in coastal California- if I didn’t own and rent was high- I would just move inland or up to PNW and take up snowboarding.

I’m lucky and own a place 30 seconds from the beach but that’s cause I was really lucky.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
As much as I like hawaii and surfing or living in coastal California- if I didn’t own and rent was high- I would just move inland or up to PNW and take up snowboarding.

I’m lucky and own a place 30 seconds from the beach but that’s cause I was really lucky.
Quality of life in CA sucks the farther you get from the ocean, until you get to the mountains.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Were you up front about your exact “number” from the start? If you are being recruited, you may as well go for broke. At least it saves you some time. Where it gets sticky is with headhunters- I had one try to recruit me and I gave him a minimum, and he never relayed that to the other company. Ended up going back and forth for weeks over nothing because he was playing used car salesman trying to make a deal.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
we never talked numbers until I told them I have other offers coming in. company contacted me directly. One of the guys I spoke to say they are VERY WELL COMPENSATED. I kept telling them I'd be going from 2 to 1 incomes. I discussed with wife - I decided to not talk numbers to see if I could get flown out there on their dime. anyway, when they did tell me, I had to tell them in the nicest way I could that it's just not realistic.

kind of related - I blew it with another company by asking for too much. they were all excited and ready to hire me, but I stuck to my number and they said its too much and ghosted me. the work was awesome, but screw them, id have to cut my morning sessions short if had gone there.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
we never talked numbers until I told them I have other offers coming in. company contacted me directly. One of the guys I spoke to say they are VERY WELL COMPENSATED. I kept telling them I'd be going from 2 to 1 incomes. I discussed with wife - I decided to not talk numbers to see if I could get flown out there on their dime. anyway, when they did tell me, I had to tell them in the nicest way I could that it's just not realistic.

kind of related - I blew it with another company by asking for too much. they were all excited and ready to hire me, but I stuck to my number and they said its too much and ghosted me. the work was awesome, but screw them, id have to cut my morning sessions short if had gone there.
Good call on both accounts. It also depends on how happy you are with your current gig. I’m fairly satisfied, so I don’t care, but if I wasn’t I’d play it safer.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
the job here, the work sounded really amazing. if it were to be doing what tests they gave me, I'd be willing to take a paycut. What happened was I knocked all of their challenges out of the park, so they said they would be willing to pay how much I wanted, but their expectations went up, they started asking if I could set up their infrastructure, set up processes and stuff, I told that I'm not interested in that. I tried saving it by contacting the hiring manager and said I'd make a lateral move for the original position, no response. that ship has sailed.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
I wouldnt want to live on Kauai. Island fever sets in quick.
ha! I just got off a plane spending 3 weeks in California. I had a great time out in the desert and visiting friends up and down the coast. But, having to deal with the number of people, traffic and strips malls every 10 miles and gas @ $4.49 a gallon made getting back home to Kauai was a welcomed relief.
And gentlemen, don't fuggin complain about how crowded "your local" surf place is. Just quit being breeders ... and save "your local." weeeeeeeeeee!

May 16, 2020
Hello everyone, I had a nice experience with the moving. Long story short, we lived earlier in Liverpool, in a quite good house, but me and my wife decided to move to the London, and it was an amazing but doubtful decision. We found a big spacious house, which we liked very much. It wasn't expensive, but it was in very good region, like a dream... However, we had a problem: too much stuff to transport to our new place. We called "Man and Van London Collections" that in my opinion is the best service, which deal with the moving. Guys transported everything like in 2-3 days, very quickly! So highly recommend.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Hello everyone, I had a nice experience with the moving. Long story short, we lived earlier in Liverpool, in a quite good house, but me and my wife decided to move to the London, and it was an amazing but doubtful decision. We found a big spacious house, which we liked very much. It wasn't expensive, but it was in very good region, like a dream... However, we had a problem: too much stuff to transport to our new place. We called "Man and Van London Collections" that in my opinion is the best service, which deal with the moving. Guys transported everything like in 2-3 days, very quickly! So highly recommend.
Thanks for the tip cowboy.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
me and my wife decided to move to the London, and it was an amazing but doubtful decision. We found a big spacious house, which we liked very much. It wasn't expensive, but it was in very good region, like a dream...
The last person who got a big spacious house he liked a lot that wasn't expensive and was in a good "region" in London was William, Duke of Normandy, and he probably gave the owner the following choice: GTFO my new house, or be burned alive inside it.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
It really is. There's a small NNW swell forecasted for the weekend. Last year we had one more N swell on memorial day weekend. Swells started up in late September this past year. That's almost 9 months of waves.
it really is.

Jul 22, 2020
California Woodside
Pretty interesting topic for me. Because I was always loved tropical places where I can spend the rest of my life, Hawaii is one of the best place in my opinion, despite of the fact that I never visited this place. I spend 6 months in Greece on the seaside and it was one of the best moments of my life. Then I started to get bored and came back home, now I want to go back there because I feel that my place is seaside. Now I am searching for general information about tropical countries, to make a list of them and to visit in the future.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020
New South Wales Sydney
Pretty interesting topic for me. Because I was always loved tropical places where I can spend the rest of my life, Hawaii is one of the best place in my opinion, despite of the fact that I never visited this place. I spend 6 months in Greece on the seaside and it was one of the best moments of my life. Then I started to get bored and came back home, now I want to go back there because I feel that my place is seaside. Now I am searching for general information about tropical countries, to make a list of them and to visit in the future.
Very good plan!!