YOLO ALERTS

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Also YOLOd this guy. Kind of a trippy board, actually. Foil is NOTHING like a Padillac. The first thing I thought to myself when I fondled it was, wow, this feels like a shortboard. Not sure if you can make it out in the photos but tried to show it. I think it's going to be pretty fun when it's good an 10' - 15'.

View attachment IMG_5062.jpeg
View attachment IMG_5063.jpeg
IMG_5064.jpeg

What is the deal with these photos? Did they stop embedded jpegs of a certain size?

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
That's right. Might be 3" thick... a little bit hard to see. YOLOd off real watersports during their Cyber Monday deal. Every little bit counts. Definitely wider than what I'd go with as a custom but figured the extra width would help combat the crowds on sessions like Thanksgiving weekend. Should pair nicely with my 8'4 x 20 1/4 x 3 1/4" Carrera that I've had for a while and put back on the rack for this year. That's not the only thing I YOLOd.
F*CKING LOVE YOU MAN.

We need to hit some big waves together.

Reactions: kool-aid and j_mac

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Also YOLOd this guy. Kind of a trippy board, actually. Foil is NOTHING like a Padillac. The first thing I thought to myself when I fondled it was, wow, this feels like a shortboard. Not sure if you can make it out in the photos but tried to show it. I think it's going to be pretty fun when it's good an 10' - 15'.

View attachment 167859
View attachment 167860
View attachment 167861

What is the deal with these photos? Did they stop embedded jpegs of a certain size?
Got a chance to ride this board. What a trip. This thing is nothing like a Padillac. My first impression is that the board paddled pretty well. Paddle out was a b*tch but I eventually made it out. The narrow, thinner nose and extra rocker definitely give you a confidence boost on late, tricky drops. Once you're up and riding I can't believe how sensitive the setup is to changes. This is not an everyman's everyday gun. This thing is the F1 race car of guns. Imagine a Padillac married to the highest-performance shortboard you can imagine. I think I got a decent-sized cover-up on my first way. Definitely not easy to ride but will put you in the spot if you dare to go there. I kind of think it would go better as a quad but it's possible I just need to play around with fins a bit. Ordered some NVS fins that looked kind of similar to Nathan's FCS big wave fins but maybe they're too upright bc I feel like the board turns too easy. Thinking that something in between Padillac and Puerto Padi would be the ultimate gun for OBSF. A hybrid like that might end up being pretty damn close to a Christenson Carerra I guess.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
My CI M13 gun fits that bill. I‘m headed up to the central coast today and that thing is in the van with me….
Long paddles with no channels up there, but the extra paddling power is worth it to get into the long period walls.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Sicario is epic. Feels great sized down from a big boy gun. Paddles and catches waves like a dream. Doesn't have as much nose rocker as my Carerra, but still has more nose rocker than most of my other guns so it's fits into the pocket nicely. It's probably a little wide for my tastes at 20.75, but it works well enough. The extra volume is a treat in the crowded lineup. It's got to be over 55L bc I can't really duck dive it. Been using the Billy Kemper quad fins a bunch this year. Not sure how I feel about them. They're noticeably faster than a regular big wave quad setup, but I find them a little harder to turn with, at least in these scenarios.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Looks like some steep spankings will occur tomorrow, too.
As the day went into the afternoon I was seriously questioning my choice of boards.

I’ll be up north again tomorrow but not as far up. Gonna look at T’s but will probably get scared and drive away, regretting that decision when, on the way home, I stop and check El Cap and it’s thigh high with 50 guys out…

Reactions: sh3

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
As the day went into the afternoon I was seriously questioning my choice of boards.

I’ll be up north again tomorrow but not as far up. Gonna look at T’s but will probably get scared and drive away, regretting that decision when, on the way home, I stop and check El Cap and it’s thigh high with 50 guys out…
you'll want to find some wrap down there tomorrow afternoon.

IMG_4205.jpeg