XTR

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
After seeing some of the issues that people have had with XTRs in this thread I was a bit hesitant to order, but decided to do it anyways. Want to share my findings.

I picked up a Twinsman 8.0 with stringer and a round tail Shadow in 8.C with stringer.

Out of the box both boards were excellent. I didn't take calipers to them or anything, but everything seemed in order. The custom spray job on the Twinsman was just what I ordered, and the faux resin tint on the Shadow is vivid and smack you in the face red. I would get faux resin tint for any XTR boards I get in the future.

I've had both boards out about 10 to 15 times give or take and they feel fantastic! To me they feel like Hayden's future flex boards. I can't really tell the difference between 8.0 and 8.c glassing, so I would probably just get 8.0 glassing for the durability. Some men love the smell of napalm in the morning, I love the feel and pop of epoxy. These boards are light and fun, so if you shouldn't order if you don't dig that floaty feeling. If you want to get an alternative tech but don't like epoxy, I found that my Varials glassed 646 feel significantly more like PU boards.

So the XTRs came out perfect from the factory and they're a blast to ride. Plus, XTR delivered in five weeks, even though I ordered close to the holidays. Overall I would rate my experience as a 10/10 with the company and there's about a 100% chance I would order more boards in the future.

I want to balance it out by saying, all good but... Or if they just did this better... But the only thing I can possibly think of is that the faux resin tint wasn't like, perfect. Few minor aesthetic imperfections that make zero difference to me. So that's the only possible negative, just to add some balance.

Feb 3, 2015
LA County
After seeing some of the issues that people have had with XTRs in this thread I was a bit hesitant to order, but decided to do it anyways. Want to share my findings.

I picked up a Twinsman 8.0 with stringer and a round tail Shadow in 8.C with stringer.

Out of the box both boards were excellent. I didn't take calipers to them or anything, but everything seemed in order. The custom spray job on the Twinsman was just what I ordered, and the faux resin tint on the Shadow is vivid and smack you in the face red. I would get faux resin tint for any XTR boards I get in the future.

I've had both boards out about 10 to 15 times give or take and they feel fantastic! To me they feel like Hayden's future flex boards. I can't really tell the difference between 8.0 and 8.c glassing, so I would probably just get 8.0 glassing for the durability. Some men love the smell of napalm in the morning, I love the feel and pop of epoxy. These boards are light and fun, so if you shouldn't order if you don't dig that floaty feeling. If you want to get an alternative tech but don't like epoxy, I found that my Varials glassed 646 feel significantly more like PU boards.

So the XTRs came out perfect from the factory and they're a blast to ride. Plus, XTR delivered in five weeks, even though I ordered close to the holidays. Overall I would rate my experience as a 10/10 with the company and there's about a 100% chance I would order more boards in the future.

I want to balance it out by saying, all good but... Or if they just did this better... But the only thing I can possibly think of is that the faux resin tint wasn't like, perfect. Few minor aesthetic imperfections that make zero difference to me. So that's the only possible negative, just to add some balance.
Have you had the XTR Twinsman out in any chop/bump? Curious how it responds

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Have you had the XTR Twinsman out in any chop/bump? Curious how it responds
Haven't had either one out in chop yet, but like I said they feel like Future Flex boards, and I've ridden those in every condition. So most people would probably say, not ideal in chop. That's probably right. For me though it's not a big deal. I like epoxy and riding it in chop is like rollercoaster ride, it injects some fun into your life.

That all being said, I've got some varials and they are fantastic with chop. They smooth out the bumps better than any type of board I've ever owned.

Jan 13, 2021
Haven't had either one out in chop yet, but like I said they feel like Future Flex boards, and I've ridden those in every condition. So most people would probably say, not ideal in chop. That's probably right. For me though it's not a big deal. I like epoxy and riding it in chop is like rollercoaster ride, it injects some fun into your life.

That all being said, I've got some varials and they are fantastic with chop. They smooth out the bumps better than any type of board I've ever owned.

Just curious is the faux tint much more expensive than the sprayed color? thanks

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
Just curious is the faux tint much more expensive than the sprayed color? thanks
if you go on their website and select a board to order, you can see all the color options. Also first time orders get $50 off if you use their coupon code so the color options are almost free.

Oct 20, 2021
My new Bors from XTR delivered to the great white north :)

First time poster here but read many posts on these forums to help decide what bors and also put me onto XTR as an option as I am sure they are mostly unheard of up here. So thanks for all the info! Cheers!

Very please with XTR service, speed (ordered over holidays) and cost (including shipping, taxes and exchange rates) compared to ordering local. Will buy through them again

Pyzel Phantom 6'5" x 21 x 2.93" 42L
Album Townsend 6'10" x 21.5" x 2.7" vol approx. 43L?

Stepping up in size as Im a big boy and getting old and its damn cold most of the time 6'5" 220lbs. Have not been in the water yet with either board as its been too windy last few days

Very pleased with the looks of the phantom. Volume seems very well hidden. went with the five fin boxes cause Noel Salas looked good with the quad set up and I'd like to experiment with some quads ;)

Not even sure how to approach the Townsend. My first twin and first mid length? I guess. Most waves here are rights and Im a goofy so we'll see. Bought two sets of fins. Christenson keels and also the Noel Salas performance twins cause the dims seemed very large compared to most other twins. I'm stoked to try something new.

Both bors are stringer 8.0. They feel good. not too heavy.

There is a little left I surf all the time. Its good waist high to head high. ANything bigger and the outside is mush and the inside closes out. Video below is a small day with the tide very very high and so its backwashy. On a normal tide the take-off is peaky then, if you take off deep, a quick jab in the pocket to fade, otherwise a cutback back to the foam and then pump down the line over a shallow rock shelf on the inside. At this spot I have been riding a well used Roberts White Diamond 2.0 and before that a CI Weirdo Ripper. I reckon the phantom will do okay here on the good days but I as I have two sets of twin fins now I think I need a third board to complete my quiver \o/ What do you think?

Im considering:

Album - Plasmic. Maybe the OG version for some weak beach breaks up North of me as well as this spot. Or The East version for this left.
Rusty - Miso. Twin but have option to run as twin plus trailer in case I suck on my backhand with a twin.
Panda - Dolly Dagger. Did not see many posts on this board but the few that I have seen were I believe from a board reviewer on Stab and saw some comments on a Noel Salas Rusty review. Again I could ride as twin plus trailer or twin.

PXL_20220218_230407664.jpgPXL_20220218_230455112.jpg

Oct 20, 2021
That left in the video looks perfect for the townsend
yeah probably on that day . its a little flat. And when its big you kind of have to milk the outside until you get to the good part inside.

The right is much better when its head high and up. Long rides. Maybe a barrel if its the best day of the year.

Reactions: SixtyGrit

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I had a Miso (good board) but I wouldn’t get a model that wasn’t designed as a twin and then slap twin fin placement on it. I actually have a Panda in the works with a twin+ set up (Bear Essentials 2.0). But Blake said he‘d make some changes to the exit rocker and rail line so it’d work as a twin. So not that you can’t make a model a twin, you just want a shaper that’s going to take the time to tweak it right. Might also want to check out the Shrizz and Shitake if you’re on his website and twin curious.

if you were riding a WD2 and/or Weirdo and want a twin+ I’d also include a RNF 96. Great great board with a ton of range, paddle power and can get them through xtr.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Update on the xtr twinsman rp fin box breakage I had.

I brought it to xtr to get a quote, and they went ahead with the fix for $50. Obviously generous, so they are making good in what may have been a little questionable quality, imo.

The fix looks good and sturdy - they added glass around the box and over the rail after sanding it down. Even added black paint where the sand through on the carbon steps was obvious.

However, I'm going to unload the board and get a smaller one with a swallow, so if you want to take a chance, hit me up.

Attachments

Jan 6, 2021
My new Bors from XTR delivered to the great white north :)

First time poster here but read many posts on these forums to help decide what bors and also put me onto XTR as an option as I am sure they are mostly unheard of up here. So thanks for all the info! Cheers!

Very please with XTR service, speed (ordered over holidays) and cost (including shipping, taxes and exchange rates) compared to ordering local. Will buy through them again

Pyzel Phantom 6'5" x 21 x 2.93" 42L
Album Townsend 6'10" x 21.5" x 2.7" vol approx. 43L?

Stepping up in size as Im a big boy and getting old and its damn cold most of the time 6'5" 220lbs. Have not been in the water yet with either board as its been too windy last few days

Very pleased with the looks of the phantom. Volume seems very well hidden. went with the five fin boxes cause Noel Salas looked good with the quad set up and I'd like to experiment with some quads ;)

Not even sure how to approach the Townsend. My first twin and first mid length? I guess. Most waves here are rights and Im a goofy so we'll see. Bought two sets of fins. Christenson keels and also the Noel Salas performance twins cause the dims seemed very large compared to most other twins. I'm stoked to try something new.

Both bors are stringer 8.0. They feel good. not too heavy.

There is a little left I surf all the time. Its good waist high to head high. ANything bigger and the outside is mush and the inside closes out. Video below is a small day with the tide very very high and so its backwashy. On a normal tide the take-off is peaky then, if you take off deep, a quick jab in the pocket to fade, otherwise a cutback back to the foam and then pump down the line over a shallow rock shelf on the inside. At this spot I have been riding a well used Roberts White Diamond 2.0 and before that a CI Weirdo Ripper. I reckon the phantom will do okay here on the good days but I as I have two sets of twin fins now I think I need a third board to complete my quiver \o/ What do you think?

Im considering:

Album - Plasmic. Maybe the OG version for some weak beach breaks up North of me as well as this spot. Or The East version for this left.
Rusty - Miso. Twin but have option to run as twin plus trailer in case I suck on my backhand with a twin.
Panda - Dolly Dagger. Did not see many posts on this board but the few that I have seen were I believe from a board reviewer on Stab and saw some comments on a Noel Salas Rusty review. Again I could ride as twin plus trailer or twin.

View attachment 124607View attachment 124608
That townsend looks like so much fun. How much did shipping and customs run ya if you don't mind sharing

Dec 5, 2010
I hoping to order a Pyzel XTR this week but worried about the turnaround, anybody ordered one recently and how long did it take? Thanks