XTR

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Racer- you should definitely try stringerless build on your next XTR. I’ve got a stringered PU Rusty Blackbird for my stepup, but anything under that, I prefer the subtly springy (blue foam stripe) stringerless build. I’d imagine it’s similar to the feel of your Superflex Fling. I’ve never had durability issues with theses SL XTR builds.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Isurfcardiff- I’d think you’d want stiffer construction for bigger waves, which generate plenty of power. I want more flex for smaller/weaker waves where you need all the help you can get from the board. You should email XTR. Shey can answer any build questions you have

Reactions: isurfcardiff

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Racer- you should definitely try stringerless build on your next XTR. I’ve got a stringered PU Rusty Blackbird for my stepup, but anything under that, I prefer the subtly springy (blue foam stripe) stringerless build. I’d imagine it’s similar to the feel of your Superflex Fling. I’ve never had durability issues with theses SL XTR builds.
Thanks for the heads up, yeah I'll probably go that route next.

isurfcardiff

OTF status
May 8, 2014
Isurfcardiff- I’d think you’d want stiffer construction for bigger waves, which generate plenty of power. I want more flex for smaller/weaker waves where you need all the help you can get from the board. You should email XTR. Shey can answer any build questions you have
Thanks, that is what I was thinking too. I'm going to pay them a visit this week.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Oeste858, how much do you weigh? They say the blue stripe thingy is for 155 and under. I'm a bit under 160, i can't imagine it would affect it too much if i'm a couple of pounds more.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'm 175-180. I've never had an issue with it, but most of mine are 5'5"-5'8" so would be pretty hard for me to snap them. I'd be comfortable going SL up to 6' length. But maybe Shey would steer you to their parallel carbon. I have had a couple with the red carbon kevlar stripe, and honestly not noticed too much difference in how it surfs. My Evo was a stock board that has carbon stripe on the deck, and feels great- I'd highly recommend this build. I think it's what Tomo ordered on his personal XTRs.IMG_2361.jpg

Last edited:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Received my Lost Psycho Killer last week and finally took it out.

The board is amazing. I'm bummed I didn't buy XTR construction sooner. My PU short boards would get trashed rather quickly since I'm close to 220 lbs. Some of you may remember the thread where I bought the Arakawa Amplifire. The board had some serious pressures in the deck after 5 surfs. I decided to dump it when it still had some salvage value left and put the proceeds towards the XTR.

The board is 8.0C construction and has a flex value of 3. It does't seem any stiffer than my 6x6 glass PU boards. It is noticeably lighter compared to any PU board I've had in the same dimensions. It also feels much more buoyant. Highly recommend. I hated EPS but XTR feels very similar to PU.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
With shipping, i payed just over 700 for a custom. Incredible.

Does xtr have sales at other times of the year apart from the holidays?

Reactions: jkb

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
post pics when you can *scratches neck*
I'm staving off my next order and living vicariously while I get much needed car repairs

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
They have to build it first! But will put a review up as soon as i get it.

Always wanted an ‘84. Wish fulfillment feels
good

isurfcardiff

OTF status
May 8, 2014
Update: So I ended up buying their in stock XTR 8.0 Pyzel Ghost 6'4" x 20-1/4" x 2-7/8". It was what i was looking for in terms of a "step up". I've ridden it twice and it works exactly as I had hoped. Light and lively, but not too stiff even thought it has flex factor of 2. And I have to say, believe the hype about the Ghost model. It is user-friendly but very capable. Super stoked! This board is going to go well during my trip to Resort Latitude Zero! Thanks to everyone for their feedback and input.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I get all my custom polys glassed 6+4/4 and love it. If I ever pull the trigger on an XTR I'll get 8.0. Good to know.