XTR

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Thanks, yeah that’s where I noticed there weren’t any dark charcoal or black boards.
That's because heat is XTR's worst enemy. An XTR would have a much higher chance of delaming with a dark color. Not to say they won't do it if you really want it........it's just risky. Any color at all on their boards is a fairly new phenomenon (within the last few years).

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Here's a grey one I saw for sale locally. Not bad

Also, For the SL-C, I think Shey was referring to the blue stripe Stringerless build with some carbon down the mid of the deck. It's not on their menu, and this was a stock board, but I think it's popular for Japan, and Tomo used to get his personal XTRs like that. At 175-180 lbs, I've never had an issue with buckling... although all my XTRs are 5'5-5'9. I like the way this looks better than the red stripe on the SL-CK recommended for my weight. I have 2 stringered Tomos from Havoc, and I wish they were stringerless. I miss that liveliness.
Apologies for repeating this from previous post.
View attachment 92756View attachment 92757
Thanks for finding and posting that one. The OfferUp one’s carbon stripes look purplish. Maybe if I say dark purple, they’ll magically disappear.

The straighter rail line looks much better in the parallel carbon in my opinion than curvier outlines.

I sent the order in last night. What’s the protocol? I assume Shey will contact me through email to confirm the order and I can finalize my decision on PC vs SL-C and the whole color thing, correct?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but the blue high density stringer from XTR feels really good. I also liked normal, stringered construction but with lighter glass, C.
I concur. I like both of these a lot.

I've been on XTRs since around 2007 and haven't felt the need to explore any other layups besides these two, although I might try parallel carbon on my next GMM2.

Reactions: JDJ and ChaseTMP
Jul 5, 2009
are you happy with the the durability for those of you who have it in the 8.c? I'm debating on what to get for my new driver 2.0.

My last Pyzel ghost with 8.0 was glassed a little too heavy and stiff, but I ended up snapping the board in half, so I'm not sure if i'm making a wise decision by going with the 8.c this time..

Feb 28, 2015
are you happy with the the durability for those of you who have it in the 8.c? I'm debating on what to get for my new driver 2.0.

My last Pyzel ghost with 8.0 was glassed a little too heavy and stiff, but I ended up snapping the board in half, so I'm not sure if i'm making a wise decision by going with the 8.c this time..
I found 8.0 to be a little too heavy and stiff for my liking. Ordered 8.0 by mistake. Next Two orders of pyzel ghosts of different length I made sure it was 8.C. It’s still pretty durable and feels almost like a pu

Reactions: Puffy and trifish

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City

I've always gotten 8.C. Happy with durability and feel. They hold up a lot better than any of my PU boards. Never tried the 8.0.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I put in an order for a Pyzel Shadow from them a couple weeks ago. Exchanged some emails with Shey who said that 8.0 PC #3 would be about the same weight as an 8.C wood stringer xtr or standard pu/pe, and a bit more flexible. Went with the 8.0 PC since I absolutely love the feel of the 8.C PC#1 on my Gremlin. That board is crazy light and I wanted something a bit more substantial for dealing with strong offshores. It's already in glassing so I think their queue isn't super long right now.

Jul 5, 2009
Thank you for your input guys, yeah because the 8.0 was just too heavy and stiff for me, but didn't want my 8.c to be paper-thin either. Appreciate it!

@ehiunno the PC is 8.c?

@JDJ isn't that the 8.0 glassing you're describing or am i missing something here?

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
@ehiunno the PC is 8.c?
The PC#1 Gremlin I have is 8.C and it is very light. Very durable but not indestructible.The PC#3 Shadow I just ordered in 8.0. I don't think the #1/#2/#3 parallel carbon distinction appears on their website anywhere, it's just less/more stiff depending on weight/waves.

I think 8.0 is 6-4-4 by default unless you ask for 6-4-6 specifically.

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Ask for the construction that Javier has been riding around town. It’s stringerless carbon but not parallel. Maybe that’s what Shey mentioned.
I stopped by XTR this weekend to drop off a board for repair and chatted for a while with Javier, Shey and Jerry. Javier pulled out that board you were talking about. It was pretty white (looked like EPS) and had an arrow carbon on top with a full carbon on bottom down the middle of the board. The board looked super clean. Javier said he was experimenting with that construction and liked it. It looked very similar to your custom Nano from AUS (bright white with the carbon placed in the same areas).

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
It was pretty white (looked like EPS) and had an arrow carbon on top with a full carbon on bottom down the middle of the board. The board looked super clean.
So it had the same arrow strips on the deck as my blue Evo, but full length carbon strips down the center of the bottom? interesting.
Yeah, I don't love the look of the parallel carbon stripes.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
So it had the same arrow strips on the deck as my blue Evo, but full length carbon strips down the center of the bottom? interesting.
Yeah, I don't love the look of the parallel carbon stripes.
Parallel carbon looks a little funky. The placement needs to be dead on, or it can mess with your brain. o_O

Reactions: ChaseTMP and JDJ

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I still think there's potential for their overlooked FX-2 carbon-railed build; I think Racer really liked it and I'd like to try it.

Hey, did they have any stock boards on the rack there that weren't on their website? They don't seem to update it often

Reactions: ANIMA

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I had a used FX-2 sampler and while I did like it, it did some weird things. For example, if I was trying to connect a dead section and humping/thrusting the board would behave like a coin spinning flat on a surface. Like I'd be hopping on the front foot but the rails would be carrying that inertia and rotating the board in a weird way. Hard to explain. Another weird thing it did was on lay backs those rails would flex and torque and kinda spring you off the tail towards shore. It seemed like the more torque you put on them (hopping / laybacks) the rails would store up that energy and release it in odd ways.

Other than those two things the board had crazy pop. Going up in to the lip or airs and it was a rocket ship. Those rails definitely store up energy.