XTR

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
I still think there's potential for their overlooked FX-2 carbon-railed build; I think Racer really liked it and I'd like to try it.

Hey, did they have any stock boards on the rack there that weren't on their website? They don't seem to update it often
I didnt look at anything other than what was my size. I did see a 5'7 El Tomo with red swirls on top that looked incredible. They are emptying one of the buildings they use as the showroom, and moving everything over to the west side of the building. So they might be having a sale or something pretty soon to get rid of the excess. They are downsizing.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I didnt look at anything other than what was my size. I did see a 5'7 El Tomo with red swirls on top that looked incredible. They are emptying one of the buildings they use as the showroom, and moving everything over to the west side of the building. So they might be having a sale or something pretty soon to get rid of the excess. They are downsizing.
I almost got that El Tomo when I made my Covid XTR purchase, but I ended up going with a RNF retro instead. The board did look pretty sick

Reactions: ANIMA

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. The Parallel Carbon seems to be popular for sure but it strikes me exclusively as a small wave board construction.

I've liked my SL-CKs in the past. They're standard PU level light, EXTREMELY strong, and have a nice positive flex pattern. Definitely an adjustment from a wood stringered board but if you're open to it, a very valid construction IMHO. Put two through their paces and they both passed the test.
Hey Kool-Aid (As I typed that I pictured Cool-Aid guy breaking through a brick wall with refreshments!) , and or anybody else, maybe some heavy weight XTR stringerless test pilots, who'd care to chime in.
K-A, I was looking back at this thread and wondered what models you went and more about the SL-CK test?

Ready to order up an XTR Rocket (no matter how long it takes). I've liked stringered versions with 8C and but have become accustomed to stringerless boards (simple order through lost with only 2 options less so at XTR) Im considering both the SL-CK Yellow or the PC for 2-7 faces Nor-Cal. At 6'4" 225 board will be 6'2"x21.5x2.88x(43.5ish). Leaning toward SL-CK

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
At your size, I would go 8.0 and probably ask for 6-4-6 on a stringerless build. Maybe others would differ. I would do this with parallel carbon or the high density dual stringer.

I had an OG Rocket in xtr. You’ll be stoked.

Reactions: Aruka and Lohena

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
At your size, I would go 8.0 and probably ask for 6-4-6 on a stringerless build. Maybe others would differ. I would do this with parallel carbon or the high density dual stringer.

I had an OG Rocket in xtr. You’ll be stoked.
Thanks. I will have to look into the HD dual stringer, is that the blue down the middle?
I too had OG XTR, V2, and V3 as well. Can't imagine going otherwise, something, the tail kick and the pop unite!

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I'm in the same boat. I think I read here that they're moving to a smaller place, so that could be the reason for the lack of updates.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Hey Kool-Aid (As I typed that I pictured Cool-Aid guy breaking through a brick wall with refreshments!) , and or anybody else, maybe some heavy weight XTR stringerless test pilots, who'd care to chime in.
K-A, I was looking back at this thread and wondered what models you went and more about the SL-CK test?

Ready to order up an XTR Rocket (no matter how long it takes). I've liked stringered versions with 8C and but have become accustomed to stringerless boards (simple order through lost with only 2 options less so at XTR) Im considering both the SL-CK Yellow or the PC for 2-7 faces Nor-Cal. At 6'4" 225 board will be 6'2"x21.5x2.88x(43.5ish). Leaning toward SL-CK
SL-CK yellow at the very least. XTR is pretty easy to talk to. Probably worth a quick call to see what they suggest on the glassing front for someone your size. I'm only 180 and never found the SL-CK to be especially stiff. Just right if you ask me.

I had a Tomo SKX and I currently have a Pyzel Phantom. Both excellent boards. Didn't ride the SKX all that much even though I found it to be a pretty solid all-around Nor Cal shortboard. Rode the Pyzel quite a bit. Very versatile board in the dims I ordered.

Reactions: chilly1

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
SL-CK yellow at the very least. XTR is pretty easy to talk to. Probably worth a quick call to see what they suggest on the glassing front for someone your size. I'm only 180 and never found the SL-CK to be especially stiff. Just right if you ask me.

I had a Tomo SKX and I currently have a Pyzel Phantom. Both excellent boards. Didn't ride the SKX all that much even though I found it to be a pretty solid all-around Nor Cal shortboard. Rode the Pyzel quite a bit. Very versatile board in the dims I ordered.
Thanks KA! You went yellow, how much glass. Been eyeballing a Phantom XL at Norcal, perf dims for me but only 3 fin boxed and but wanted to try quad. Looks like a good all arounder!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
The board is clean. All white on the bottom and this incredible red cherry swirl on top outlined in black. Looks slick~

Looks good but says flex value is 10?! I've only ridden 2-5 flex value. Is 10 a noodle?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Thanks KA! You went yellow, how much glass. Been eyeballing a Phantom XL at Norcal, perf dims for me but only 3 fin boxed and but wanted to try quad. Looks like a good all arounder!
I think I went 8c on both of them because I was worried about the yellow be a bit stiff as I was under their weight range for the SL-CK yellow.

If the dims are right, I say do it! But also don't hesitate to order an XTR custom and get something dialed in. It won't take too long at all. Shipping is pretty reasonable. One thing I would say is the Phantom doesn't quite grovel the way that people think it would from the description. It's really more of a slight step down I personally think. My Phantom is more narrow than the stock, so maybe it's pronounced in my case, but I've never heard anyone describe the phantom as a good grovel board. It's really better for that fun but not super powerful fall / early winter surf we get around here.

If that's the scenario you're thinking about getting a phantom for then go for it. If you're hoping to use it to get through summer, I dunno, you might want to reconsider.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I think I went 8c on both of them because I was worried about the yellow be a bit stiff as I was under their weight range for the SL-CK yellow.

If the dims are right, I say do it! But also don't hesitate to order an XTR custom and get something dialed in. It won't take too long at all. Shipping is pretty reasonable. One thing I would say is the Phantom doesn't quite grovel the way that people think it would from the description. It's really more of a slight step down I personally think. My Phantom is more narrow than the stock, so maybe it's pronounced in my case, but I've never heard anyone describe the phantom as a good grovel board. It's really better for that fun but not super powerful fall / early winter surf we get around here.

If that's the scenario you're thinking about getting a phantom for then go for it. If you're hoping to use it to get through summer, I dunno, you might want to reconsider.
Thanks for the extra input KA(Aruka too)! Smaller grounswells precisely the conditions I was envisioning it in, especially as the stock in a couple inches taller than me it seemed like it morphed naturally into a standard shorty. I think its labeled as a groveler because its a N Shore origin, where grovel is considered like good head high OB to us. I'm gonna pass on the one I saw though since wanted to try quad option.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Just an FYI that XTR updated their order status page as of 6/26. It hadn't been updated since 6/13.
I saw that. Somehow my order hasn't budged, still in glassing. I'm not super bothered, this is generally the worst time of year for surf here anyways.

Reactions: Puffy

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
That status list has been wacky for sure. A buddy got a call for his being done even though it was showing still in the earlier stages.

Reactions: Puffy