Xanadu

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
can you break some of them down for us so i don't have to listen to scott bass?

inlandLocal

Nep status
Jul 8, 2008
It is a long one and Xanadu does 90 pct of the talking. One that really caught my ear was, he was the first ever to make concaves work....

Jul 29, 2016
I found it pretty intense and exciting. Different podcast. A shaper from who you still can feel some excitement about building boards after so many years.
Straight to the guts, no BS. No marketing, focus on whats important. Making a great functional board.

I heard true facts, as far as for the concaves, dont know, why not? There are many shapers that dont get credit about their work and others do.

Just listen to other podcasts and compare it yourself. Many dont even know what they are talking about. They dont master the craft.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
might have to listen. makes beautiful boards, ive had a few and they worked well.
during the transition from 80s shapes to glass slipper bananna rockerd boards he was way ahead of the pack with his modern looking boards. hes the one that popularized the flip tip nose. suddenly everyone else was doin em, then he stopped. and everyone else did soon after

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
You could always tell his boards in the early 90s by the way he would take that piece of foam out of the tip of the nose of the board with his planer. Couldn't find a picture. The noses on his boards were always really flipped and he would remove a bit of foam from the deck side of the very tip of the nose of the board. It was like a trademark.

Apr 13, 2011
Listened to the whole (long, tiresome, and boastful) Podcast the day it came out. Grew up in San Diego. Have always seen the Xanadu label around town. Remember the days of Gerr as we are the same age. Have considered a few times over the last 30 + years getting a Xanadu.

WOW! Is all I have to say!

After listening to that, I will undoubtedly never get a Xanadu. He may be a great guy in person, but he comes across as the most arrogant shaper I've ever heard. Very poor marketing on his part! Sadly, He reminds me of every generalization I've ever heard about Brazilians (and I like Brazilians). No matter what his self proclaimed great accomplishments are (and who knows, they may be true), that man needs a slice of Humble Pie. Screw it, he needs the whole damn PIE!!!!!!

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'm not sure if Scott Bass was intentionally trying to interrupt less or if Xanadu just dominated the conversation (maybe both), but I thought Bassy did a much better job on this one letting his guest talk.

As far as Xanadu, he did strike me as fairly conceited: however, if he can back it up with good boards, then it wouldn't prevent me from getting one. :shrug:

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
He talked and talked and talked, and I started losing my ability to understand words. It seemed he thought he was telling a long story that would lead up to something about horse-riding, am I right?

San Gabriel Valley local

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2002
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Back in 86 or 87 my friend and I were checking the surf in North County SD, I think at Pipes or somewhere near there. Some chick was walking up a trail carrying a Xanadu board, and my buddy goes "what's this, Zan-a-du?" in a mocking drawl. We didn't see him initially and didn't know who he was at the time but Xanadu was walking behind her, glared at my buddy and said "NO, its SHAN-DU!!" We've been laughing about that one for years haha.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
From the gist of the podcast, it looks like we'll be getting part II when he tells us how he discovered G-Land and every other spot in Indonesia...

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
OlafHM said:
I found it pretty intense and exciting. Different podcast. A shaper from who you still can feel some excitement about building boards after so many years.
Straight to the guts, no BS. No marketing, focus on whats important. Making a great functional board.

I heard true facts, as far as for the concaves, dont know, why not? There are many shapers that dont get credit about their work and others do.
I'm about 3/4 of the way through and pretty much this is my impression.

1st 1/4 was a bit boring for me, the horse riding and all.

He didn't sound boastful to me, more an enthusiastic guy who has opinions.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
casa_mugrienta said:
OlafHM said:

I'm about 3/4 of the way through and pretty much this is my impression.

1st 1/4 was a bit boring for me, the horse riding and all.

He didn't sound boastful to me, more an enthusiastic guy who has opinions.
Same here.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I listened to it

He praises Luciano and his dsd program and machine - calling Wayne ;-)

Places Merrick over Rusty for precision shaping in his naming 3 - i think he really means they were the cuttting edge of design adopting concave bottoms .

And few other points that many would like respond to :)

He did it on his own , lots of hard work .

YakAk

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 22, 2010
Goodfish said:
From the gist of the podcast, it looks like we'll be getting part II when he tells us how he discovered G-Land and every other spot in Indonesia...
I haven't listen to the podcast but I remember meeting him in Taiwan. We talked surfboards, surfing, travel, and how he started shaping. A super nice guy and damn good surfer. I guess I should have had my own podcast :grin: