Xanadu

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
YakAK said:
Goodfish said:
From the gist of the podcast, it looks like we'll be getting part II when he tells us how he discovered G-Land and every other spot in Indonesia...
I haven't listen to the podcast but I remember meeting him in Taiwan. We talked surfboards, surfing, travel, and how he started shaping. A super nice guy and damn good surfer. I guess I should have had my own podcast :grin:
Yeah, I remember. I didn't chat to him much, but he comes across differently in the podcast. Shredder for sure though...

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Goodfish said:
YakAK said:
Goodfish said:
From the gist of the podcast, it looks like we'll be getting part II when he tells us how he discovered G-Land and every other spot in Indonesia...
I haven't listen to the podcast but I remember meeting him in Taiwan. We talked surfboards, surfing, travel, and how he started shaping. A super nice guy and damn good surfer. I guess I should have had my own podcast :grin:
Yeah, I remember. I didn't chat to him much, but he comes across differently in the podcast. Shredder for sure though...
I liked it.

I would expect someone with his experience and level of talent plus a drive for perfection to have opinions. Judging from his level of stock he seems to have an intense dedication to his work.

TBH I've always found his boards intimidating and thought of them as top level designs.

And yeah he rips.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
he's held in high regard amongst some SERIOUS shapers

does he still rock that awesomely 90s blonde jerry curl and earrring?

his boards look rad (post 90s)

he talked sh!t on quads....until he showed up in the shop bringing in a bunch of em while talking them up

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I liked the podcast. He sounded like many shapers I've met before; a crazy creative guy who may or may not know what he's talking about.

His boards look good!

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Greg Griffin said:
Skil planer , fully adjustable on the fly cutting depth

Some shapers can do KKL quality with this feature
I think you misunderstood Xanadu's opinion of the Skil, he praises it as a great tool for shaping, in fact the best for rails.

I got the impression he got sick of carrying around parts and repairing it all the time. When he found something more reliable he worked to match the Skil, especially once Clark released the modded Hitachi.

Overall I thought it was a pretty interesting conversation, I was hoping they would get into his catalog a little bit more.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site

Skil planer is capable of way more than a Hitachi .

Rocker , Bottom contours , Rails , Deck curve and foils carved out of the blank , not cross cut in then blended .

Like I posted earlier I doubt anyone here knows about this .

No biggie .

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
I've personally heard an ex-world champ asked if he has ever tried Xanadu's boards, and without hesitation, his response was:

'Fastest boards ever. They're actually TOO fast.'

:cheers: