WSL Tour Having Garbage Year

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Besides Surfer's Journal and Freesurf, what magazines are left?

I predict the WSL will go the same way as the mags. When its on death's doorstep (which we are getting close to), some entity will buy it, slim it down and turn it back into a Hawaii, Indo, South Pacific, dream tour. It will be more about showcasing lifestyle and I would bet the whole contest thing evolves into expression sessions where the juding is left up the to the watchers to decide. This entices people to watch and democratizes who ultimately gets chosen as the "winner". A format like this allows the pros to continue to develop their own content and sell it or lease it to the organization as part of their lifestyle features. I think something like this would be pretty cool and I would get into it.

Reactions: Redeyes and sponge

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008

I predict the WSL will go the same way as the mags. When its on death's doorstep (which we are getting close to), some entity will buy it, slim it down and turn it back into a Hawaii, Indo, South Pacific, dream tour. It will be more about showcasing lifestyle and I would bet the whole contest thing evolves into expression sessions where the juding is left up the to the watchers to decide. This entices people to watch and democratizes who ultimately gets chosen as the "winner". A format like this allows the pros to continue to develop their own content and sell it or lease it to the organization as part of their lifestyle features. I think something like this would be pretty cool and I would get into it.
I'm guessing if the Wavepool fad takes off then that'll be the new pro surfing. That would be the ultimate democratization.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I'm guessing if the Wavepool fad takes off then that'll be the new pro surfing. That would be the ultimate democratization.
Wavepools are not entertainment.

Market has already rejected them.

it'll keep going in it's current iteration for ever- propped up by tourism funding and a billionaire who needs a tax write-off.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Canada surfing championship experimenting with the quad split screen like Golden Eye on Playstation or whatever it was :)

And the waves, not quite as advertised.
1681592647786.png

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site

Sounds like surfing's version of reality TV. They tried it with The Ultimate Surfer show at the Surf Ranch. It wasn't very watchable. But again, we are not the target demographic.

1681596876819.png

Reactions: Havoc

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Wavepools are not entertainment.

Market has already rejected them.

it'll keep going in it's current iteration for ever- propped up by tourism funding and a billionaire who needs a tax write-off.
Are you talking about the Surf Ranch contest, or the concept of wavepools in general? Because if Waco has been going this long I think it's pretty obvious a place like Florida with an absolute shitload of surfers and a dearth of surf is just waiting for one.

That concept would work if they fcuked
Fixed.
How many times do you think someone at ABC was like, are we going to have Tia Blanco and Anastasia Ashley fight over some dude in a love triangle while wearing bikinis, or do we hate money and the shareholders?

• Haha
Reactions: Northern_Shores
Jun 4, 2019

Basically Stab 100 then, only with better waves. I'd be all in on that.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Are you talking about the Surf Ranch contest, or the concept of wavepools in general? Because if Waco has been going this long I think it's pretty obvious a place like Florida with an absolute shitload of surfers and a dearth of surf is just waiting for one.

Fixed.
How many times do you think someone at ABC was like, are we going to have Tia Blanco and Anastasia Ashley fight over some dude in a love triangle while wearing bikinis, or do we hate money and the shareholders?

Tia would do better if she just hopped on the in-laws family reality TV wagon. I'm actually shocked she hasn't yet.

That being said, she always seemed like a fairly normal person, so maybe she's not into it.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
"Jenner" doesn't ring a bell?
That's where I got the trust fundy from.

I still don't understand it though. It's not like she's ~40, poor, but decently good looking for a 40 year old and needs to lock down a rich old guy. She's 25 and probably gets hit on 20x/day by dudes who have enough money that she'll never be waiting tables at Applebees AND are 10 years younger vs on the verge of shooting autism sperm.

Like Trump's wife. She's in shape and was good looking enough to be in SI Swimsuit Issues. Give a pro athlete the time of day and you've got a rich husband you actually want to have sex with.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
That's where I got the trust fundy from.

I still don't understand it though. It's not like she's ~40, poor, but decently good looking for a 40 year old and needs to lock down a rich old guy. She's 25 and probably gets hit on 20x/day by dudes who have enough money that she'll never be waiting tables at Applebees AND are 10 years younger vs on the verge of shooting autism sperm.

Like Trump's wife. She's in shape and was good looking enough to be in SI Swimsuit Issues. Give a pro athlete the time of day and you've got a rich husband you actually want to have sex with.

Celebrity, however low level, has an appeal.
Generational affluence also has an appeal.
From all reports, he's a pretty normal dude with similar interests and the previous 2 things in spades. It probably beats marrying some real estate/finance/trust fund bro that actually wishes he had one of them.

She is poised to surpass Alana's 'surf momfluencer" title in no time if she wants it.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
i hear hes a chill dude - i personally thing his socials come off like a douche bag but hes a douchebag with a smokin hot 25 year old and i have chaturbate.

My wife had his number in her phone from ages ago.
We sent him a text for ShitsnGiggles.
Spoiler: He didn't respond.

haven't heard that name in a while.
You haven't.
But she has more followers than all 3 Women's World Champs from the last 14 years......COMBINED.

So there's that.

Tia has more than any single world champ....