WSL Tour Having Garbage Year

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
The long days are really for local vendors and brands - kind of like a trade show. If the WSL isn't providing that, it's relying on internet eyeballs for revenue and having to pay for a lot of editing.
The reason for the mid-year cut and going from 40 something to 32 CT qualifiers is WSL was losing eyeballs. Same as the one day final to determine the champs. I know a former pro local rep here and I asked him about it. He said with all the analytics WSL have they know exactly when people are watching. This was a couple years ago he said the only pros that move the dial up are John and Medina.

No matter anyone’s personal opinion on Medina he has more followers on IG than the rest of the top ten combined. 11 million plus.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I like watching WSL. I watch most of the QS, Longboard, CT and whatever else they might have. It's nice entertainment. I think the beachbreak QSes are more fun that the most shitious CTs like Bells and Margies. WSL gotta balance the goal of "The worlds best surfers in the worlds best waves" with financial sustainability. So they probably gotta do some compromises to make it work. The WSL are a bunch of clowns, but they do meet their goal in having great surfers in quite often great waves.

If I could choose a comp schedule, in no particular order:
The Trestle
France
Portugal
Fiji
Tahiti
Huntington beach. I like the wave :)
Jbay
Superbank
Pipeline
Indo, some sick left that's more shreddage, less of a barrel.

Brazil probably has to be there, but I think it's too often shitious backwash beachbreak.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The reason for the mid-year cut and going from 40 something to 32 CT qualifiers is WSL was losing eyeballs. Same as the one day final to determine the champs. I know a former pro local rep here and I asked him about it. He said with all the analytics WSL have they know exactly when people are watching. This was a couple years ago he said the only pros that move the dial up are John and Medina.
This is what I suspected and confirms ELo is lying. CEOs and VPs lie all the time, so this is no surprise.

No matter anyone’s personal opinion on Medina he has more followers on IG than the rest of the top ten combined. 11 million plus.
Personally, I'm as gay for Medina as Neymar Jr.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
That viewership was up and to the right when it's down-enough to necessitate a mid-year cut.
Yeah. Prior to the cut in the number of qualifiers and the move to the one day winner take all viewership was down. The first year of the finals at Trestles was the largest number of views in WSL history.

Not sure about the mid year cut effect on viewership numbers. But part of the reason for that was they wanted to be able to run men and women’s in 3 days which is the average length of a swell window. At least that was the reason I remember being put out.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I like watching WSL. I watch most of the QS, Longboard, CT and whatever else they might have. It's nice entertainment. I think the beachbreak QSes are more fun that the most shitious CTs like Bells and Margies. WSL gotta balance the goal of "The worlds best surfers in the worlds best waves" with financial sustainability. So they probably gotta do some compromises to make it work. The WSL are a bunch of clowns, but they do meet their goal in having great surfers in quite often great waves.

If I could choose a comp schedule, in no particular order:
The Trestle
France
Portugal
Fiji
Tahiti
Huntington beach. I like the wave :)
Jbay
Superbank
Pipeline
Indo, some sick left that's more shreddage, less of a barrel.

Brazil probably has to be there, but I think it's too often shitious backwash beachbreak.
when they held the comp in Barra it was cringey... but Saquarema delivers the goods. It makes sense to keep it.

As for Portugal, anywhere but Supertubos. Can't complain about France, they had some seriously good days. Huntington, why have a second event on the same state, in that crap of a wave of all places? (not that it doesn't have its days, had some fun there between the aggro BS)

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Now that they run the Men's and Women's together in a waiting period, they essentially increased the size of the tour. Now they have to cram 60 surfers into one waiting period.

Run Mens and Women's at separate venues (or at least during separate waiting periods).

Decrease the size of the tour. 16 men 8 women.

Take out Sunset, Portugal, Bells, Margarets, the Pool, Brazil.

Replace with Cloudbreak, Mundaka, G-land, Puerto Escondido, Snapper, Morocco.

Reactions: Aruka

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Now that they run the Men's and Women's together in a waiting period, they essentially increased the size of the tour. Now they have to cram 60 surfers into one waiting period.

Run Mens and Women's at separate venues (or at least during separate waiting periods).

I personally love PE but one year it actually had a swell there were multiple heats where some pro surfer paddled out and wasn't seen for the entire half hour. I absolutely adore that but I dunno if the rest of the viewers will.

If you're into that thing it was good times. Like the old guy in Friday watching TV but instead of doggy bit yo ass mista postman it was Puerto bit yo ass mista pro-man.

Reactions: jkb

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009

They kicked out Mundaka because it's good twice pr year and only can run half days because of 15 meter tide. The sand may or may not be good. This equals skunk city. Puerto also only half days because of wind and 1 in 1000 waves not being straighthanders. And Mexico sucks. Have it gassed and de-liced before considering an event there.

Morocco is such a shithole noone in their right mind would go there. Like Egypt with surf. Stroll barefoot through Skid Row on your way to the surf to simulate the North African atmosphere.

As for Portugal, anywhere but Supertubos.
Yeah, better have it at some high tide beachbreak :violin:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
They kicked out Mundaka because it's good twice pr year and only can run half days because of 15 meter tide. The sand may or may not be good. This equals skunk city. Puerto also only half days because of wind and 1 in 1000 waves not being straighthanders.

Morocco is such a shithole noone in their right mind would go there. Like Egypt with surf. Stroll barefoot through Skid Row on your way to the surf to simulate the North African atmosphere.
So like 1000x better than the current tour then. :monkey:

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
That drainy right at Saquerema is way more entertaining than you guys are giving it credit for. 5 years ago Brazil was horrible. I don't mind it now. It's better than Trestles.

Portugal has potential to be a premier event if they just got away from Super Tubos. But screw the tour. Having all the top guys and their entourages invade your local spot or a spot you're traveling to would completely ruin your day. Let them battle it out in wave pools. It would be no skin off anyones back if the tour just went away.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

I bet the women's heats are getting about a tenth the views the JJF and Medina heats. I wonder if the women's tour has always been a money loser like the WNBA.

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
been a fan boi of professional surfing my whole life.. watched all the comps religiously (thats for you PRCD :) )

the last few years I just cant. they cant get momentum going and its just been a bore. No way a contest should take 5 full days to run. 1-2 days max. rise/peak of a swell - get in, get out!

Reactions: jkb and brukuns

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
They kicked out Mundaka because it's good twice pr year and only can run half days because of 15 meter tide. The sand may or may not be good. This equals skunk city.
#Facts

Puerto also only half days because of wind and 1 in 1000 waves not being straighthanders. And Mexico sucks. Have it gassed and de-liced before considering an event there.
Puerto has contestable surf basically every morning in South Swell season, unless there's a passing tropical wave or you get really unlucky with late night/wee hours thunderstorms.
But Mexico rules and you're just a pussy. It's like a cheaper Southern Europe with fewer tourists, but not effeminate.

I've heard my fair share of horror stories about Morocco.

Yeah, better have it at some high tide beachbreak :violin:
Most spots like Supertubos are high tide beachbreaks. You need remedial beachbreak class probably with someone driving you to the beachbreaks in a shortened version of a full size school bus.
:foreheadslap:

Reactions: jkb and SurfMission