wsl is pushing it.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Have you seen the permit? Regardless, my response was simply to the question of how it’s possible for private groups (like the WSL, Nssa, wsa etc) to reserve public beaches. It happens weekly up and down the coast.
that doesn't make it right

Reactions: hammies
Sep 18, 2016
No, I haven’t. Have you? Post it up.

I’m seeing responses from others that have never seen this before with the WSL. Like unprecedented. NSSA and WSA type events don’t have lay days. They run straight through regardless of the conditions. Poor example.
that doesn't make it right
They were wearing their jerseys in a timed situation, should have just called it an expression session and it likely wouldn't be questioned...

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Came here to post this. When it happens in Hawaii everyone cheers.

If someone copped a beating for interrupting a wsl boogie board comp at lowers the Erbb would have a sh!t fit.
I remember this and Kainoa and stuff and hawaii are one thing- that's hawaii - they make some rules

but this is america - and people should paddle out and surf, fuck 'em - this is people vs. other people and the only god is money

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
They were wearing their jerseys in a timed situation, should have just called it an expression session and it likely wouldn't be questioned...
To be clear - im questioning the entire concept of private groups reserving public lands for their personal use. But i bet you're right in general.

Reactions: Havoc and SpudBoy

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
It's an Event/Contest and not Personal use. What is so hard to comprehend this as comps are all over.
so i could have surfed trestles during practice time today and when they run finals day?

no - it's reserved for only a special group of people, not sure what's so hard to comprehend about that as comps are all over.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
so i could have surfed trestles during practice time today and when they run finals day?
yes, Uppers

no - it's reserved for only a special group of people, not sure what's so hard to comprehend about that as comps are all over.
[/QUOTE]

Event. Set one up and you can do it also

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
yes, Uppers

[/QUOTE]

actually surprised a billionaire surf bro hasn't bought trestles for the day yet, seems like you'd get way more bang for your buck than a few surf ranch sessions

Reactions: grg

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
yes, Uppers

This is why I try to avoid discussions on the internet. This guy immediately gets snarky over a valid question, then the entire reason he's acting like that is over semantics. He clearly gets the point.

The "event" is personal/private/exclusive to that group, but it's on public space. I'm sure you understand what im saying even though you didn't like the word i used, you even repeated what i said.

How can a private group reserve public land? How do they have more right to it than anyone else?

Can I get a group of people together and start reserving spots for a whole day? We can pool our cash together and hire "security" to keep people out. Probably cheaper than slaters wave pool.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
wait. what? they were "practicing" in thrir jerseys in timed situations? like rehearsing scripted heats?

i hope they worked on their post heat interviews as well back in the studio.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
This is why I try to avoid discussions on the internet. This guy immediately gets snarky over a valid question, then the entire reason he's acting like that is over semantics. He clearly gets the point.

The "event" is personal/private/exclusive to that group, but it's on public space. I'm sure you understand what im saying even though you didn't like the word i used, you even repeated what i said.

On Oahu a private group can reserve a public space for private events by obtaining the required permits. It’s done all the time, not just for surf contests. Movie, television productions shut down major roadways all day for a scene that’s barely ever over a minute long. All in the way of promoting tourism.

Remember Blue Crush or North Shore. They shut down access to Pipe for those movie contests. 100% helped that they used the gnarliest Pipe guys and Hui uncles as minor characters and extras.

Don’t have a clue about the WSL and Trestles but I bet the tourism board is bending over backwards to help WSL promote sunny SoCal.

Reactions: Havoc and grg

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja

Not snarky at all, whatever the word is and YES it can be done on public places like Parks, Beaches, Trails, etc. Its done all the time...

Reactions: Havoc

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
That video always tripped me out. What the hell was going through that kids head???

I mean clearly not a lot, but what the fck
it's fun seeing an A haole gets what's coming to him but I grew up with a kid like that. It was amazing - when he was say 8 he would antagonize the older kids until they would hit him. But he wouldn't stop even after being hit a lot. I realized then to stay away from him - it was weird - I think you could have cut his fingers off and he would have kept going. I've thought about that kid a bit and I think there's people like that and you can be sucked in by them if you're not careful.

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
it's fun seeing an A haole gets what's coming to him but I grew up with a kid like that. It was amazing - when he was say 8 he would antagonize the older kids until they would hit him. But he wouldn't stop even after being hit a lot. I realized then to stay away from him - it was weird - I think you could have cut his fingers off and he would have kept going. I've thought about that kid a bit and I think there's people like that and you can be sucked in by them if you're not careful.
Heard he had some sort of 'condition." Just rumors maybe.

• Wow
Reactions: PJ

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
On Oahu a private group can reserve a public space for private events by obtaining the required permits. It’s done all the time, not just for surf contests. Movie, television productions shut down major roadways all day for a scene that’s barely ever over a minute long. All in the way of promoting tourism.

Remember Blue Crush or North Shore. They shut down access to Pipe for those movie contests. 100% helped that they used the gnarliest Pipe guys and Hui uncles as minor characters and extras.

Don’t have a clue about the WSL and Trestles but I bet the tourism board is bending over backwards to help WSL promote sunny SoCal.
I understand that it's done, we've all seen that it's done - there's a lot of contests. I'm just questioning whether or not it's "right".

I'd probably argue it's wrong to reserve public land for private use in general. If whatever event it is brings in significant revenue for the local economy maybe there's a greater good, but I bet the vast majority of these situations don't bring in significant revenue (WSL perhaps an exception).

Last edited: