wsl adds a gamer as ceo. a fucking gamer! hahaha.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Yeah - not assuming anything. RR reminds me of George Downing running the Eddie. You might not like the calls he makes, but you can't argue them. I absolutely agree that an old dude at the reins isn't optimal, but then again Rabbit was the head of the ASP for a bit when he was rather weathered.

Maybe Evan Slater would be best given the age demo.
Now you’re making sense.

There are plenty of guys with legitimate surf chops and exec level management experience.

All the names mentioned in this thread are retreads. Even RR - he ran the Triple Crown fine but that was a much easier task from an overall management standpoint.

But in all honesty, I don’t think the CEO needs to be that much of a surfer, and certainly not pro level. Roger Goodell didnt play football past high school and he does a pretty good job w the NFL.

Last edited:

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
how about 10 yrs younger. can the ceo be 60? or is maturity a disqualifier because they can't possibly grasp the market drivers for dumbass surfer wannabees?
Give me some names. Good surfer and executive-level resume. Who you got?

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Kelly Gibson to run it like a business...Bob Hurley if you want him to touch it and turn it to gold...Pat Oconnell if you want someone under 60 who has been slowly groomed for this role.

This is all just a setup for Slater in his retirement, this guy is clearly a placeholder til Slats steps in and absolutely ruins it

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
dont deflect. why does the exec need to be under a certain age for you?

youre a biden supporter, right? explain yourself
Doesn’t. I said that RR would not be any sort of PR coup to anyone under retirement age, annd I said it in direct response to a post suggesting he would.

And then I said he’s not the one you’d want leading your media campaign today. Anything more broad than that is something you made up in your own mind.

There could be plenty of older guys well suited for the roll. Name me a few?

And if you want to discuss politics there’s a full board dedicated to that.

• Dislike
Reactions: doc_flavonoid

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Kelly Gibson to run it like a business...Bob Hurley if you want him to touch it and turn it to gold...Pat Oconnell if you want someone under 60 who has been slowly groomed for this role.

This is all just a setup for Slater in his retirement, this guy is clearly a placeholder til Slats steps in and absolutely ruins it
I thought of Hurley too, but why would he want the job? Pat could be good but he left the WSL on his own a few years ago, so you need to consider (I) if he’d want to come back and (ii) if he was all that effective to begin with if the tour you’re trying to fix sucked when he worked there.

As for Slater, how could you doubt the man who brought you the most boring event on tour, ever?

• Haha
Reactions: sh3

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
These are guys that are suited for the role...not guys that want it lol...though kelly gibson might be both. The organization should be ozzy based, professional surfing is an actual thing down under.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Adult learner, sigh
Accents? Check the visual pain if you ask a South African if he's Australian. Kiwi's feign half the indignity.
Kiwi, Aussie and Seth Efrican are super easy to tell apart.

Some of the Euro ones get a bit tricky.

You won't pick a Hungarian from a Slovakian or a Latvian from a Belarussian for eg.

Iranian is distinctive from, say, Jordanian or Lebanese.

South American accents- I got nothing.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
These are guys that are suited for the role...not guys that want it lol...though kelly gibson might be both. The organization should be ozzy based, professional surfing is an actual thing down under.
There are hundreds of guys suited for the role. How about Adam Francis, who did the QS and then built Sun Bum into what it is today? Josh Kerr? great surfer and proven entrepreneur. Travis Logie is a smart guy and knows the tour?

The Nssa pumps out great surfers who go to college and lead successful business lives. You could probably pick out of a hat.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Kiwi, Aussie and Seth Efrican are super easy to tell apart.

Some of the Euro ones get a bit tricky.

You won't pick a Hungarian from a Slovakian or a Latvian from a Belarussian for eg.

Iranian is distinctive from, say, Jordanian or Lebanese.

South American accents- I got nothing.
Is it too much to ask for you wankers to open your own thread about accents? It's not hard to do.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
It's one of those accents, like a California drawl, that makes people sound stupider than they really are.

As opposed to, say, a smooth mid-western clip like Walter Kronkite, that has the opposite effect.

• Haha
Reactions: Maz and r32