wsl adds a gamer as ceo. a fucking gamer! hahaha.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
"Former Head of Publishing at Riot Gaming?"

This has very "met him a Pt. Dume barbecue and we bonded over our newfound surf spirituality" vibes. They are really scraping.

If you've never been barreled and/or no one has ever threatened to kill you in the water, you have no business running anything in surfing.
#Wardo4TheWozzle

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
is he gonna add longboarding, mens and women, bodyboarding, men and women, and wavestorm divisions? perhaps a trans division for sasha jane lowerson?
it could get so much worse

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005

This has very "met him a Pt. Dume barbecue and we bonded over our newfound surf spirituality" vibes. They are really scraping.

If you've never been barreled and/or no one has ever threatened to kill you in the water, you have no business running anything in surfing.
They need money and are grasping at straws. The sport, history and culture of surfing are irrelevant to them.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Okay. Korean and English sound nothing alike.

I think unless someone listens to Seth Efrekens and picks up on H -> HY and all vowels being pronounced like a short e (here -> Hyeh), you're looking at any English speaker from the Southern Hemisphere is 'Strayan to us. You all hop and have pouches for offspring security - no exceptions.

Most Americans could identify a posh Westminster/Kensington accent as English. Emma Watson, for example. But if you had Emma Watson, Saoirse Ronan, Ewan McGregor, someone from Hull or York, a Scouser, a Mancunian, and someone from Wales, and you asked Americans to identify their accents, they'd be fucked.

If you asked an American not from the Upper Midwest or maybe Maine/Washington/Alaska to discern between Wizcaaaaaaansen and Minnesooooooooota vs a Canadian from roooooond abooooot Edmonton, no fucking clue unless they watch South Park or Trailer Park Boys or Great White North.

Maybe a little bit more recognition of Boston vs New York vs New Jersey in other regions, but still less than half.

I don't think the vast majority of Americans outside the South could tell the difference between Louisiana and South Carolina unless they watched James Carville and The Waterboy quite a bit.

Also making fun of Aussie place names with Kiwis is a hell of a good time. I got them started with Ulladulla and Mooloolaba, and the Wallawallabollabollabingbongs came forth like Uruk Hai to Minas Tirith.

If you asked the average American to name a single province/state of Australia or Canada, your highest odds would be Quebec and Tasmania (note - by far the most common would be an incorrect New Zealand) and if 1 in 10 could give you one province/state each it'd be a miracle. If you asked the average American to name four countries of the United Kingdom, I am guessing one in three wouldn't even know you were talking about islands North of France and West of Norway. Of the rest, probably half would come up with England, and after that, you'd get more Irelands than Scotland and Wales combined. The sun might run out of heat before one in 40 came up with Northern Ireland unassisted.
Louisiana and S Carolina is easy.

Wisconsin and Canadian also easy. Letterkenny makes it even easier.

Aussie and kiwi isn’t that hard either.

But isn’t the real issue here that someone thought a guy on the Raglan Surf Report was an Aussie? Never mind the account is quite well known - didn’t the Raglan part give it away?

Reactions: freeride76

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006

I’ve been threatened with death in the water more times than I can count.

It‘s the story of my life.

I’m always “overqualified.”

:mad:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I worked on a construction crew. The contractor was American, as were myself and one other old timer. Then there were two brothers. They were Kiwis. The last guy was Australian. I should mention the contractor’s ex wife was Australian which is why I assume he had all the down under contacts.

I don’t know how the Aussies felt about the Kiwi, but the brothers despised “the bloody ocker.” They certainly didn’t seem like they shared a common culture or heritage.

The Aussie had come for the surf. He explained that in the Aussie surf mags the articles all featured perfect surf and that’s what he expected to find. Boy was he disappointed.

ps. As far as pro surfing, I enjoy watching it but if it went away I would not miss it at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pescado713

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
They should give it Randy Rarick and Barton to run tbh
RR would be a smart PR move. Love him or hate him, he's definitely endemic. No one would have the bona fides to challenge his decisions, even if we all disagreed with him.

Barton would be the best to run the booth, although he'd need a shave. Get rid of Joe, make it Barton, Richie, Kelly, Rosie & Coco on the broadcast. Strider in the water, just because. People who were actually pros and have the ability to saliently express what they're seeing and *why* it's important. Plus, let them question the judges just as sports commentators in other leagues question the refs.

#pipedream

Reactions: npsp

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
RR would be a smart PR move. Love him or hate him, he's definitely endemic. No one would have the bona fides to challenge his decisions, even if we all disagreed with him.

Barton would be the best to run the booth, although he'd need a shave. Get rid of Joe, make it Barton, Richie, Kelly, Rosie & Coco on the broadcast. Strider in the water, just because. People who were actually pros and have the ability to saliently express what they're seeing and *why* it's important. Plus, let them question the judges just as sports commentators in other leagues question the refs.

#pipedream
You assume these people want the job lol. @

And RR might be a good PR move to people in their 60’s, but the meat of the audience would be lost. And while I’m not sure why they keep going so far away from real surfers for the CEO role, you can bet a 70 year old man is not the guy you want leading the media charge here.

As for the booth, I love Barton. Rosie is fine, Coco speaks like a little girl, and Strider is better than Kaipo.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

And RR might be a good PR move to people in their 60’s, but the meat of the audience would be lost. And while I’m not sure why they keep going so far away from real surfers for the CEO role, you can bet a 70 year old man is not the guy you want leading the media charge here.

As for the booth, I love Barton. Rosie is fine, Coco speaks like a little girl, and Strider is better than Kaipo.
Nobody is assuming that. The media charge before the content of whatever is presented is assbackwards.

Reactions: sh3

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019

how about 10 yrs younger. can the ceo be 60? or is maturity a disqualifier because they can't possibly grasp the market drivers for dumbass surfer wannabees?

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008

Yeah - not assuming anything. RR reminds me of George Downing running the Eddie. You might not like the calls he makes, but you can't argue them. I absolutely agree that an old dude at the reins isn't optimal, but then again Rabbit was the head of the ASP for a bit when he was rather weathered.

Maybe Evan Slater would be best given the age demo.