World's worst / your least favorite waves?

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
I agree, the Net is not good food.

Here's an excerpt from my Yelp review
it's a little better than before. had a decent fried chicken sandwich there a couple weeks ago. was kind of desperate and waiting in the car line. most all their stuff is fried though.

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
View attachment 93448View attachment 93449

SUPs, boogie boards, "surf team" guys, kids learning. It's a horror movie and can't stop watching.
The funniest part is there are people who claim this spot out there and try to protect . Ive seen people get vibed on the south side of the pier when the waves weren't much better than in these pics. It was hilarious.
As for County Line, Id agree with everyone else here but id say another wave in that same area is even worse and it gets hyped as a good wave. Zeros. Biggest mush burger illusion of a wave there is. I think because its a semi left point type thing people get all excited when they see waves there. Don't be fooled.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Zeros. Biggest mush burger illusion of a wave there is. I think because its a semi left point type thing people get all excited when they see waves there. Don't be fooled.
Wow really? I dont surf zero's that often but Ive gotten it really really good every time Ive been there. no choobs or anything but really long rippable walls that IMO are super fun.

Reactions: xxx

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Zeros can be fun on a fish and when it's overhead. I used to hike down there when camping at Leo for the lefts. Also, re: county, staircase, heavens, zeros - those mushy flattish waves were a lot different and easier to surf when we were 12-18 years old and 120 lbs. El Matador and the other two spots can get A+ on the right swell and tide but I've only seen it a handful of times.

Reactions: Kento

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Team tabletops. I had a friend who really liked it but I never got it. I've seen it look good a few times but always been fooled. Eventually I started only taking my groveler out there, even when it looked decent sized, it was never overpowered.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Also, Ab. I've even been out there almost by myself when it was pretty decent size and shape but still couldn't connect. Some things just aren't meant to be.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
What are your least favorite waves on the planet?

The shitty beachbreak down the street doesn't count, nor does a place you hate because of the crowd.

I'm talking about well known waves either locally or internationally that are supposedly good to great but really aren't that great for whatever reason.

Or waves you just could never figure out.
Ponto before the jetties (shitty beach break) Well known/Mysto? Tijuana Sloughs

Last edited:

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Wow really? I dont surf zero's that often but Ive gotten it really really good every time Ive been there. no choobs or anything but really long rippable walls that IMO are super fun.
Man I have tried to give it the benefit of the doubt a numerous times over the years and even when it had size. I just do not click with that wave at all and Im goofyfoot. Slopey gutless wave imo. I have buddies who have had great surfs out there they've said but I never have. Maybe its just frustrating for me cuz it does look fun from the bluff but once Ive gotten out there, not so much. Havent been down there in years and years.

Reactions: CutnSnip

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Ponto before the jetties (shitty beach break) Well known/Mysto? Tijuana Sloughs
Haven't spent that much time taxing my immune system at the Sloughs but the times I've been I found the wave to be oddly lacking in top to bottom power, exactly the opposite of its reputation.

Same with Rincon. It feels like a standing wave to me.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Man I have tried to give it the benefit of the doubt a numerous times over the years and even when it had size. I just do not click with that wave at all and Im goofyfoot. Slopey gutless wave imo. I have buddies who have had great surfs out there they've said but I never have. Maybe its just frustrating for me cuz it does look fun from the bluff but once Ive gotten out there, not so much. Havent been down there in years and years.
aybe its because Im a regular foot and its really forgiving on the backhand..I dont know - done some of my best backhand surfing there.

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
aybe its because Im a regular foot and its really forgiving on the backhand..I dont know - done some of my best backhand surfing there.
You might be onto something there. As a fellow regularfoot, I loved that wave a lot over the years. Very sand-fickle though. If the rockhouse is on the sand, probably not going to be stellar. When there is just enough sand there, though, it can be really good, splitting into a few different peaks. I do miss the (semi-)old Zeros though before they built it up and you could just run down the iceplant to the sand from the parking lot, which was where the lifeguard tower is now. All manicured now.

Plus, if you feel like getting punished, that shorebreak will give you square, heaving barrels, especially in front of the bathroom shack. Used to love sponging that shorebreak - wouldn't usually get out until I had at least 50 barrels under the belt or I got tired of getting clubbed by small cobbles being surged from the bottom and thrown up over the falls.

Reactions: CutnSnip

xxx

Nep status
Nov 18, 2006
In the 80's I was dating a daughter of a doctor who lived at a right in palos verdes. She was as local as a local could be. That sure didn't help me trying to get waves out there! Pretty over rated, but I didn't score set waves. Mr. Inbetween!

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
The Hook.

End of 41st Ave. First place where the Valley meets the beach. Numerous surf shops driving in on 41 before you get there. Plenty of opportunities to rent a surf board and a wetsuit.

Now, thanks to the county of Santa Cruz, Handicap Access!!!! The old cliff trail sorted the weak from the strong. The fire dept got too bent responding to the 911 calls. One of my long time local friends who still surfs there regularly. "Why" He thrives on conflict.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Cowells,

In ze middle of downtown Santa Cruz. The water quality at Cowells is possibly the worst in the USA. The people polluting the lineup? The same

Oct 13, 2019
CenCoast
Pismo has a bunch of votes. When I lived down there I was sitting up on the hill watching and this sketchy car rolls up with a couple of weird looking animals stacked in the back. Dude gets out and unloads his board and goats. Walks them down to beach and takes surfing. I left laughing. Then saw him on the news. That place was in a category of its own already, but after that...