World's worst / your least favorite waves?

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Why would you even surf there? There are world class waves within 30 minutes drive from Pismo.
Meh. Most all those waves are really twitchy. And 30 minutes there and 30 minutes back. Which seems optimistic. The number of times you will strike out on those over an hour (more like hour and a half to two) drives is high. My then fiance lived at Pismo. After awhile, things devolve to "f it, I'll just paddle out in front of the house." This was right after college. The pressures of jobs/careers, a wife to be etc. I needed quick strikes that produced results. Not endless drives that mostly produced strike outs.
aint that great: GrandView
never figure out: TableTops
Oh my... I got one session at TT that was insane. Never happened again when I was there. Meets the definition of twitchy for sure, but that one day...

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
Meh. Most all those waves are really twitchy. And 30 minutes there and 30 minutes back. Which seems optimistic. The number of times you will strike out on those over an hour (more like hour and a half to two) drives is high. My then fiance lived at Pismo. After awhile, things devolve to "f it, I'll just paddle out in front of the house." This was right after college. The pressures of jobs/careers, a wife to be etc. I needed quick strikes that produced results. Not endless drives that mostly produced strike outs.

Oh my... I got one session at TT that was insane. Never happened again when I was there. Meets the definition of twitchy for sure, but that one day...
swell angle makes or breaks that spot

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Salt Creek.

Yes, I have gotten it good and gotten great waves there, no question. But I have also had way too many sessions with waves that appear good coming in but only back off into nothingness or shift into a closeout. The source of some of my most annoying sessions. And the crowd can get a bit obnoxious about backpaddling. Always feels like I have to do a bunch of crafty sh!t out there to thwart the games.
#snakelondon

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
This is a really difficult question for me to answer since I live far from the ocean these and the idea of surfing any wave, no matter how shitty, just seems SO DAMN FUCKING AWESOME!!!!

Having said that, I was pretty underwhelmed with the surf in Santa Teresa, CR. Kinda reminded me of surfing Mission Beach on a better than average day in San Diego - WHICH WOULD BE SO DAMN FUCKING AWESOME RIGHT NOW!!!!

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Playa Hermosa Costa Rica.. glorified closeout, super tide dependent, and blows out by 9am.

That said I love the area and people down there, and the fact I can redeye in 5 hours for 400 bucks, hop off the plane and be surfing by 8am is unparalleled so I keep going back and taking my donuts.
I got Hermosa so good for a week straight.

Hated? I don't know, County Line, for every single reason there is.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Pacific side of CR as a whole, there are exceptions of course.
Got stuck in Mato Palo due to a landslide back in 2004. A week straight of overhead to double overhead waves. Seemed like only 10 surfers total were stuck behind the landslide. That was great. Eventually we had to walk over the landslide carrying all our sh!t to get to the airport. That was not great.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
As I started to chronicle other waves I have had less than stellar relationships with, it seems to me that looking back, I wish I had a lot of those sessions where I drove away dry back. All those rejected waves and spots I didn't like could keep me busy for years if I could get them all back. Oh well. I regret mostly things I didn't do instead of the things I did. With a few notable exceptions. (I won't name her).

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Got stuck in Mato Palo due to a landslide back in 2004. A week straight of overhead to double overhead waves. Seemed like only 10 surfers total were stuck behind the landslide. That was great. Eventually we had to walk over the landslide carrying all our sh!t to get to the airport. That was not great.
Was not blown away by that area, the crowds and expats may have had something to do with it.