Wooly review of JS Sub Xero

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
The problem with the Oside shop is they seem to only carry the latest stuff.

So no more Nitro, older Monsta, etc if I’m not mistaken.
I dont think you get those anywhere, even over here in JS mecca ( well, maybe the Gold Coast is a touch more)

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
JS boards have really dropped off the radar here in Sydney Northern Beaches. Flavour of the month for thrusters is now Sharp Eye (inferno 72).

Also, I love Wooly's reviews probably more than anyone else's, but despite what he was saying that board looked rubbish.

Reactions: noise and Aruka

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
wow, it’s kinda wild when a big brand powerhouse seemingly destroys their own market share.

did their team riders all flee at the same time, too?

there has to be more gossip to the story.

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
To some degree, I agree, although I think that when every other big name shaper and company is coming out with new models all the time, you kind of have to do the same if you want to remain competitive. All the big shapers do it, and they all have redundant models in their line-ups.

I know a few people consistently riding JS in SD, but they're all people who have some type of connection to the company or to an employee of the company. Aside from that, not so much.

Reactions: oeste858 and sdsrfr

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
Yeah, was wondering the same.

I think the idea you constantly have to come out with a boatload of new models to keep customers around isn't actually accurate.

When boards work, they work. You don't need a bunch of new models.
Unfortunately, the perception of latest and greatest is strong with average consumers. Some brands pull good models to give the new ones more of a this is better perception. Those brands also want the focus to be on what's in their marketing and placed fresh in the shops. Plus there's the concept of less offering may help minimize confusion for the average consumer while possibly discouraging a bunch of custom orders from those "loyal to the brand". Asia production may play a part in that.

Years ago, another brand told me a model was no longer available after I had ordered it 6 times. I tried his "replacement". That was a bad call on his part. On the Roberts site we could remove models, but Rob knows they are all good and they have people that love them. I think Biolas feels that way too considering the info they maintain. In regards to replicants, having a separate model for variations makes them easier to order and provide info on what changes with the changes. I don't like it when they delete the parent as if it's not good anymore.

Jack-the-Ripper

OTF status
Feb 10, 2023
Seems JS is losing it. Monsta 2020 was nothing like the Monsta 8 or 6, despite what the US rep told me. Seems like they just want to push the new models they have in stock stateside.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Seems JS is losing it. Monsta 2020 was nothing like the Monsta 8 or 6, despite what the US rep told me. Seems like they just want to push the new models they have in stock stateside.
The OG Monsta was so good. Like a more HP flyer. Then they kept refining it till it turned back into a good waves only board most people rarely can use.

Reactions: Aruka

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The OG Monsta was so good. Like a more HP flyer. Then they kept refining it till it turned back into a good waves only board most people rarely can use.
I have a Monsta 2020.

The marketing as an allrounder for "all waves" waist+ is total bullshit.

If the wave doesn't have plenty of curve the board flat out does not work.

Meaning if you can't totally put the board on rail you either slide out or bog.

Which is really frustrating because to do a functional complete cutback you gotta have a ton of speed, or your section has to be really really really banked. So if you need to cutback in anticipation of an inside reform you better be lucky.

So it's not an "all waves" board in any way.

If the wave pumps the whole way through you're fine..

May 10, 2018
I have a Monsta 2020.

The marketing as an allrounder for "all waves" waist+ is total bullshit.

If the wave doesn't have plenty of curve the board flat out does not work.

Meaning if you can't totally put the board on rail you either slide out or bog.

Which is really frustrating because to do a functional complete cutback you gotta have a ton of speed, or your section has to be really really really banked. So if you need to cutback in anticipation of an inside reform you better be lucky.

So it's not an "all waves" board in any way.

If the wave pumps the whole way through you're fine..
Yea. I got the Monstabox with a round tail and slightly slimmer dimensions to make it more of an all rounder compared to the monster

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
JS doesn't have anyone riding his boards on tour, right?

If so, that's a pretty drastic change from only a few short years ago.

:toilet:
Ramzi rides their boards but has been on the injured list all year.