Wooly review of JS Sub Xero

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I'm the one who chimed in one his Insta about running it as a Twin + trailer ( maybe others did too) - it's a fantastic groveler.

May 10, 2018
Every video of the Xero boards I've seen makes them look awful.

http://instagr.am/p/CoOaQ1tO-7D/
I reckon the zero range has been a huge failure for JS. Two to five years ago in Oz every 2nd person was on a Black Box 2,3 or MonstaBox. Heaps of Hyfi too. Now I barely see any Xero /Sub Zero and their Hyfi 2.0 is rare as hen's teeth (and ugly as fuck). The release of their Zero Gravity (ie a renamed MonstaBox) was to try and make up ground on the sales they lost by trying to make a bastard cross over of the BB3 and MonstaBox into the Zero.

I say this as someone who was a big fan of JS and have had 2 Black Box 2s, 2 Black Box 3s (one being a Hyfi) and still have a MonstaBox.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Agreed.

And that sub zero looks shitt- chippy, flaky, flicky, slow, lacking any kind of drive.

Not once did that board carry clean speed through a turn- everything ended in a dead stop and had to be restarted.

looks like all the worst attributes of EPS have been brought to the fore.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018
The Big baron mid lengths seem to be selling like hot cakes around here though. Former shortboard peeps are frothing hard at their new found wave count.
Not on the northern beaches where I surf. Haven't seen one. Seen a few black barons though (the fish)

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I reckon the zero range has been a huge failure for JS. Two to five years ago in Oz every 2nd person was on a Black Box 2,3 or MonstaBox. Heaps of Hyfi too. Now I barely see any Xero /Sub Zero and their Hyfi 2.0 is rare as hen's teeth (and ugly as fook). The release of their Zero Gravity (ie a renamed MonstaBox) was to try and make up ground on the sales they lost by trying to make a bastard cross over of the BB3 and MonstaBox into the Zero.

I say this as someone who was a big fan of JS and have had 2 Black Box 2s, 2 Black Box 3s (one being a Hyfi) and still have a MonstaBox.
Is that what happened? Used to see BB’s and MB’s all over north county, now I hardly see them at all.

i don’t understand why the need for the rebrand.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Agreed.

And that sub zero looks shitt- chippy, flaky, flicky, slow, lacking any kind of drive.

Not once did that board carry clean speed through a turn- everything ended in a dead stop and had to be restarted.

looks like all the worst attributes of EPS have been brought to the fore.
wonder if that's the shape or the HyFi

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
JS doesn't have anyone riding his boards on tour, right?

If so, that's a pretty drastic change from only a few short years ago.

:toilet:
Just Ryan Callinan on the CT, couple guys like Mateus Herdy and Hiroto Ohhara on the Challenger Series.

Reactions: jkb

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Most board reviews could use a lot more footage of surfing on the board. With at least a better than average surfer. IMO.
I have been glued to a few with no surfing at all, but then I always go looking for footage. Found Wooly that way, I think.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I liked the Psycho Nitro. Super low rocker but the tail was pretty pulled in so it still turned. The HYFI felt like it had a lot of cloth so it wasn't super light and chattery. Felt like big thruster sides with a smaller center fin was the go. Twin/Trailer felt too loose and pivotal.

They widened the tail on this one. I wonder if they added any rocker to keep it turny?

Anyone able to compared the feel of the new to the old HYFI construction?

I like wooly's reviews because he surfs a variety of different waves, none of which are usually super perfect, so it's pretty relatable. Also he's tall. The board looked best for him when he was in the soft grovel waves. It looked overpowered and hard to control on the reefs.

Reactions: MathDebater

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i bet i would like that board
that shallow swallowtail is, imo, much better than 1675720457020.png

u can order it with a round or squash tail

Last edited: