Will the Left ever hold the Racist, White Supremacist, and Homophobic Che Guevara to the same standard as US Historical Figures?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Fish on!

They're some bland 90s band. As far as I'm concerned it's all Hootie and the Blow-asis-fish and they're interchangeable. Toad the Wet Matthews.

Wonderwall and Champagne Soup-anover; that is the worst tripe to ever exist, and it has the power to make people not like music.
Kurt Cobain killing himself put an end to the dark, heady self-loathing grunge & hard rock of the early 90s. After that it was all about soft happy rock music that doesn't make people uncomfortable and is safe to play at Applebees or in an office full of women. Shortly after that, "rock" branched off into frat douche rock like Chumbawumba and jam band music, and rock music has been dying a slow death ever since.

Reactions: Kento and Ifallalot

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I can imagine DMB might be a very different experience live

I got the sense that their recorded stuff probably was not anything like their live thing

I can also see that it might have been a nice scene to meet cute preppy white chicks

But I'm not really into the whole jam band thing to be honest

If I want to hear good musicians just ripping solos for 20 minutes I listen to jazz

Pop songs I think should sound good on an acoustic without a lot of f-ery

This is one thing I like about the Rolling Stones-- they would always cut Mick Taylor off when he wanted to get too indulgent on his solos. They understood that the solo has to serve the song, not the other way around
I had a friend see DMB live and said it was like listening to the studio album. YMMV.

Jam band music is tripe. Especially Phish. Way too high note driven, passive drawn out guitar "jams", trite lyrics, and a tone deaf lead singer to boot.

Reactions: Billy Ocean

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
The prep school kids I hung out with liked DMB but they were all into Phish. Pretty early on I learned to ask for only studio recordings of Phish. 98% of all bands need a producer kicking them in the ballsack and re-recording all their sh!t themselves.

The other 2% of bands need to be set on fire immediately, or stage a PPV vale tudo fight between Gallagher brothers, then get set on fire.

From what I could tell, for every cute preppy white chick at this concert, there were probably three preppy white dudes in fraternities and their dads had way more money and connections than mine.
I went to one phish concert with one of my friends who was way into them. He drove up from long island to RI to see them with me. They had some sort of lottery based on ticket numbers which we actually won during the show so we got to go backstage after the show. They had a keg and we were drinking beers with phish and their entourage. It was very disappointing from a rock n roll perspective. I didn't realize it at the time because I was still a kid but it felt like some kind of lame office party. there were no hot chicks.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: Ifallalot and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I went to one phish concert with one of my friends who was way into them. He drove up from long island to RI to see them with me. They had some sort of lottery based on ticket numbers which we actually won during the show so we got to go backstage after the show. They had a keg and we were drinking beers with phish and their entourage. It was very disappointing from a rock n roll perspective. I didn't realize it at the time because I was still a kid but it felt like some kind of lame office party. there were no hot chicks.
There's definitely been a generational decline in the arts. This preceded the decline of scientific progress.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Kurt Cobain killing himself put an end to the dark, heady self-loathing grunge & hard rock of the early 90s. After that it was all about soft happy rock music that doesn't make people uncomfortable and is safe to play at Applebees or in an office full of women. Shortly after that, "rock" branched off into frat douche rock like Chumbawumba and jam band music, and rock music has been dying a slow death ever since.
I feel like I listened to lots of stuff from the late 90s that I liked, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden even if 10 and Badmotorfinger are the only permissable CDs according to some, and the punk thing reached backwater Florida around then.

I had a friend see DMB live and said it was like listening to the studio album. YMMV.

Jam band music is tripe. Especially Phish. Way too high note driven, passive drawn out guitar "jams", trite lyrics, and a tone deaf lead singer to boot.
This is why I abhorred the live Phish bootlegs. 15 minutes of Trey. Shut it off.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I heard one of the prep school kids I knew back then who was way into Phish met them after he got married or was in a very serious relationship and basically opened that relationship so some guy in Phish could bang his wife and then he got dumped or some sh!t.

• Haha
Reactions: Billy Ocean

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I feel like I listened to lots of stuff from the late 90s that I liked, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden even if 10 and Badmotorfinger are the only permissable CDs according to some, and the punk thing reached backwater Florida around then.
Pearl Jam and Soundgarden was more early/mid 90s. Cobain killed himself in 94. There was definite shift in the years shortly after, to the point that the only thing late 90s rock had in common was the choice of instruments.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Pearl Jam and Soundgarden was more early/mid 90s. Cobain killed himself in 94. There was definite shift in the years shortly after, to the point that the only thing late 90s rock had in common was the choice of instruments.
Okay so we agree Kurt Cobain killed himself in 1994; can we agree Pearl Jam released Yield and No Code and Soundgarden released Down on the Upside years after that fact? I am not sure when Red Hot Chili Peppers released Californication but it was well after 1994.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Okay so we agree Kurt Cobain killed himself in 1994; can we agree Pearl Jam released Yield and No Code and Soundgarden released Down on the Upside years after that fact? I am not sure when Red Hot Chili Peppers released Californication but it was well after 1994.
Yes of course. It’s not to say that those bands did not carry through into the next era, because they were already relevant before Cobain. However nobody new came on the scene afterwards that had that sort of sound.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
There are boundaries to this "framing" idea. Obviously all men know right from wrong because there are such things as "Right" and "Wrong". Stalin and Hitler were simply wicked men, not "freedom fighters" though the Communist Party and Nazi Party defined them that way.

BTW, the black guy I mentioned was in my division and he decided the Navy wasn't for him so he smoked weed to pop positive on a drug test and got out with a general discharge, which is like having a misdemeanor on your adult record. You're better off weeding out the dirtbags early since they can't stay out of trouble and take up 80-90% of your time.
I happily took a General Discharge after suggesting to my CO I might deliberately test positive (drugs of all sorts were all over camp). Yep, then I went to college on the GI Bill and had a rewarding career working alongside the military in the Scientists and Engineers field. Now I'm a double dipper, a patriot and a surf bum. How's that for misdemeanor...or is it white privilege?