Who makes decent board shorts these days?

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
These:

O'Neill also made a similar model in a cheapo diffusion line called "Blue" a few years ago, I bought 2 pairs for $39 each on sale. Nice and stretchy, soft, nonchafing material, not too long, not too short, not too close cut in the hips. Good for us 50+ guys...

The key is the side pockets: I always thought having pockets in a boardshort was silly, but if you're humping stuff back and forth to the beach they're a life saver. Conservative styling means you can go out in public without looking like a Metal Mulisha fanboi.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Do the Birdwells run true to size?
Yes. I've gone from a 36 to a 34 (lost weight) and mine are a little loose now but they still work. Nearly 8 years old too. I just don't like the Long, baggy style at my knees that surf shops sell in there stores. A full 16 inches in overall length and a 6 inch crotch length. I believe they also make a longer length in the crotch area.

Birdwells.jpg

birdwell crotch.jpg

Birdwells just hold up over time with $$$ well spent. At one time they were daily drivers for Lifeguards. Assorted colors as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: BentoBox70

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
I like them as long as I can get since I'm pretty fair skinned, the less i have to grease up with sunscreen the better. Getting the right shorts is a serious choice. Feb 2020 I went to the Quicksilver store in Waikiki, told the salesman what I wanted and found these Waterman series which I really like. I paid $50 or so, they just had one pair in black, I used them for a week or so there then ordered green and red online after I got home, $45 or so each.

They have mesh inside (I really need that), two regular side pockets if you're using them as just shorts, two good velcro pockets (room key and wax) and a key loop. It's a soft fabric that dries fast. Cat is optional :).
Shorts Pockets.jpgShorts All.jpgShorts Label.jpg

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
They have mesh inside (I really need that), two regular side pockets if you're using them as just shorts, two good velcro pockets (room key and wax) and a key loop. It's a soft fabric that dries fast. Cat is optional :).
Well, without going into why you really need the mesh, mesh is just a non-starter for me. Mesh to me means they're "trunks" - something my dad might have worn, not found in any respectable board shorts. Had to explain this concept to my wife, when she was buying boardshorts for my 12 year old. Did not have to explain it to my 12 year old, who knew instinctively that carrying his package around in a net was uncomfortable and unnatural. Just my two cents - ymmv :waving:

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Well, without going into why you really need the mesh, mesh is just a non-starter for me. Mesh to me means they're "trunks" - something my dad might have worn, not found in any respectable board shorts. Had to explain this concept to my wife, when she was buying boardshorts for my 12 year old. Did not have to explain it to my 12 year old, who knew instinctively that carrying his package around in a net was uncomfortable and unnatural. Just my two cents - ymmv :waving:
Meshless just rubs me raw in a really wrong place - I cringe just looking at them.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Meshless just rubs me raw in a really wrong place - I cringe just looking at them.
Under armour or similar athletic underwear is the go.

I get a way worse rash from the mesh linings. Underball, where the leg hoops shred the tender inner thigh skin....
Forget it catching sand globs in shorebreak-y surf.

Also the elastic. Duck dive anything over waist high, and that gear is ripped off and dragging on my leash and I've got my fruit basket flopping about.

• Haha
Reactions: PJ

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
I've been wearing Birdwell's for the past 10-12 years. Love them. Expensive, but they last. My only complaint is that I wish they had an option for a snap instead of a button. The buttons on mine are always the weak spot, or maybe it's just my beer belly:cheers::foreheadslap:

Landloct

Kelly Slater status
Jul 18, 2002
I like the fancy Rip Curls. The $80 ones. I tend to kill them in 2-3 years. So far I've killed a zipper, a key string, and a loop where the string goes. I keep a few in the rotation.

If you wear trunks 2-3 months/year and rash is your primary concern, wear Under Armor or something like that. You walk enough in wet trunks, your sh!t will be shredded.
I've scored a couple pairs of those at my local TJ Marshall Ross. $20.