Who makes decent board shorts these days?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I've had a pair of patagonia shorts that are decent, going on 10 years with them. Wife says I should consider buying a 2nd pair for when these disintegrate. So, who makes a good boardshort these days that doesn't do to your undercarriage what Cap'n Crunch peanut butter cereal does to the roof of your mouth?

I hear those stretchy O'Neill shorts are decent.

Reactions: kane

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
i haven't found a good pair in years.
hired someone who can sew to replicate a nice pair that I had worn down from ages ago. Better to build what you want and in many cases cheaper than paying for 'surf brand' trunks.

Just get the fabric you like: easy to find
grab a pair of board shorts you like: ...you have this
work with someone who can sew to replicate*
- you may have to cut your prized shorts in order to make a pattern
- find someone who does this professionally or at least has worked with similar material for best results.

Bonus - create your own label to sew on to the finish product for added flair

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I've had a pair of patagonia shorts that are decent, going on 10 years with them. Wife says I should consider buying a 2nd pair for when these disintegrate. So, who makes a good boardshort these days that doesn't do to your undercarriage what Cap'n Crunch peanut butter cereal does to the roof of your mouth?

I hear those stretchy O'Neill shorts are decent.
I'm agree that you're going to want something in a maximum stretch material. This way you can say you're still a 38 waist but still be comfortable.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Go on a diet or hit the gym. Buying new clothes isn't the issue.
says the guy who:

1. plans his CA trips around the nearest Carl’s Jr. location.

2. buckled his board because he’s so fat

3. sits out every session and takes photos instead.

I'm agree that you're going to want something in a maximum stretch material. This way you can say you're still a 38 waist but still be comfortable.
I’ll ask your mom which plus-size spandex shorts she wears.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
says the guy who:

1. plans his CA trips around the nearest Carl’s Jr. location.

2. buckled his board because he’s so fat

3. sits out every session and takes photos instead.
1. Tell us about your latest surf trip.
2. You probably wouldn't paddle out in waves powerful enough to buckle a board.
3. You've got me on this one. After 35 years of being on it every swell and having a few injuries I have gotten somewhat addicted to surf photography. Some people even think I'm half way decent at it.

I think if he goes to Kohls.com he can get some draw string elastic waist boardies. These should be perfect for tubby hal.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
1. Tell us about your latest surf trip.
2. You probably wouldn't paddle out in waves powerful enough to buckle a board.
3. You've got me on this one. After 35 years of being on it every swell and having a few injuries I have gotten somewhat addicted to surf photography. Some people even think I'm half way decent at it.

I think if he goes to Kohls.com he can get some draw string elastic waist boardies. These should be perfect for tubby hal.

Your shoulder problems are caused by patting your self on the back so much you try hard kook.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
ok, will probably get sh!t for my cheap standards, but i've bought 3 pairs of these at under $20 apiece over the last two years, they hold up great, and would cheerfully do so again.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I like the fancy Rip Curls. The $80 ones. I tend to kill them in 2-3 years. So far I've killed a zipper, a key string, and a loop where the string goes. I keep a few in the rotation.

If you wear trunks 2-3 months/year and rash is your primary concern, wear Under Armor or something like that. You walk enough in wet trunks, your sh!t will be shredded.

Reactions: bird.LA and JDJ

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
i like volcom and rvca.. they dont last long, maybe a year but i wear trunks basically every day so for 60 bucks a pop the ROI is there.

zipper on pockets is usually the first thing that goes or the waistband eventually stretches so the waist starts getting to loose.