Who knows Ireland?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Can always recommend seeing some of the megalithic projects, heralding back to the time when the fair isle was an Atlantean outpost.

But seriously, for certain Stonehenge is pretty grand, but Ireland is holding as well.

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Belfast was just ok… I would prefer to do the Dingle peninsula and/or the Ring of Kerry… Be sure to see the Giants Causeway… Sound like you’ll have an awesome adventure… Oh yeah, buy a sweater or two…
Aran sweaters are apparently a thing

Reactions: PLJ

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Should we go to Belfast? Can you just do a day trip up there and see the sights and visit the museum? Or is there a whole border crossing hassle or whatever? I know it’s not the gritty nearly-civil war Belfast of the 70s and early 80s, but, is it just all normal now?
No border hassles at all.
Couple of strange things though.
N. Ireland for the most part only accepts British pounds and S. Ireland is on the Euro. You need to exchange $$$
Other thing is S. Ireland is on the kilometer/s per hr. and distance. N.Ireland is miles per hour and miles distance.
Really not a big deal and your GPS will tell you when you cross over.
We dug Belfast, a lot more old country feeling, definitely worth visiting although might be a bit much for a day trip from Dublin, it's about a 2 1/2 hour drive and the traffic in town can be a bit challenging.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Aran sweaters are apparently a thing
'95 Wife fresh from CR just came to states washed my moms recent sweater family friends had just brought back from Ireland got put in washer warm h20 while house sitting for my parents:toilet:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Ok so how about this plan (I’m only planning a frame work for the trip, I’m not booking any “day trips” or activities beforehand. Need to flexible due to the fickle nature of Irish surf)

land in Dublin. 2 nights there to soak it in, explore, walk off the jet lag, pee on a wall or whatever (or is the blarney in Belfast?) eat some stew and see the sights.

then it’s off to the Aran islands for 3 nights. I know it’s a small island but I’m hoping 3 days there will allow at least a chance of some of the mysto waves out there, and also allow us to slip back in time for a brief respite from the 21st century.

Then we’ll have 6 nights in the cottage near doonbeg. That will be a great home base for surf strikes and day trips and exploring the Wild West of Ireland. Gotta play a round at doonbeg. I know it’s a trump resort; but, I’ll hold my nose and try not to think about the legal bills of his that I’m helping pay for, and just enjoy the majestic beauty of a first class Irish coastal links course. One of the best surf spots in doonbeg is apparently right out the back of the golf course. We’ll head to Lainch for a day (or more if the surf cooperates) since that sounds like one of the real centers of Irish surfing. It’s not far from doonbeg. There are a bunch of things to see and places to surf all within an hour or two of doonbeg.

then, to cap it off, I’m now thinking 3 nights in Sligo. North facing coast which will be a novelty in its own right. It’s a while different part Of the coast and tanner knows one of the OG couples of modern Irish surfing so I’ll try and connect with them just for the fun of it. And it would not be a surf trip If there is as not at least a slim connection to the erBb.

and, given that Sligo is on the northwest coast, one day without surf we will drive to the giants causeway before dawn (2.5 hour drive from Sligo) so we can be there at or close to sunrise. Enjoy a couple hours at the causeway, then drive down to Belfast for the day. See the titanic museum, have lunch, explore a bit, and drive back to Sligo. Long day with a lot of driving but I feel like that’s a great day trip where we will really capture a lot of unique Irish stuff.
And then home. Seems like a solid 2 week itinerary.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Unless you really want to hit Dublin and Belfast consider flying into Shannon right on the WC.

Reactions: PLJ

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Unless you really want to hit Dublin and Belfast consider flying into Shannon right on the WC.
I do want to see those 2 cities, I don’t know why. Seem like key pieces of the old country. Maybe we even just do one night in Dublin, and that day trip from Sligo to the causeway and an afternoon in Belfast. Then we can spend a 4th night in Sligo

Last edited:
Reactions: mundus

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
What a great itinerary!
You're doing it right.
We hit the Causeway also, another big-time wow factor.
d11137ee-f58d-40a6-a020-6392489f633a-l.jpeg
^^See if you recognize this when you get down to the bay^^

Also, if you make it to the cliffs of Mohre, drive past the big tourist trap visitors center about 1 1/2 miles and access the cliffs through a private landowner's property (forgot the name) but its only 5 Euro each instead of 12 at the VC.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
We will definitely do that. I think the cliffs are only a little bit north of doonbeg - we will for sure be visiting.

And one of the ferries that goes out to Inis Mor actually does a slow cruise past the cliffs on its way to the islands, so I’m going to see if I can book us on that boat to the Arans. See the cliffs of Mohr from land and from the sea. (I’ve seen Mohr spelled 5 different ways in the week or so that I’ve been researching this trip lol)

Last edited: