Who Here Has Had COVID?

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I'll start by saying that if I have had it I didn't know it.

If you have had it how did you know and what was your experience with it.

I'm not kidding. I'm just curious what to expect and how to head it off and treat it to minimize the symptoms.

Have you had it more than once?

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
I tested positive (home test kit) the day after I returned from 2 weeks in Europe. Wife tested negative. Never felt bad or anything. We had 4 test kits at home and I thought, why not? Wife and I had both shots and both boosters. Took the test again after a couple of days (still positive) but no symptoms. Did my 2-3 mile walks every day, no problem.

Reactions: keenfish

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I had it. Started with an itch in the back of my throat one night, almost like I had a piece of popcorn stuck in it. Next day woke up with the worst sore throat I’ve ever had. It seriously hurt. Body aches and fever were minimal and short lived once I broke the fever with Tylenol. Only lasted a couple days. But the sore throat morphed into a drip that worked it’s way into my chest with a spasmatic cough that lasted a full three to four weeks. Cough was bad enough that at times I thought I broke a rib. Only lost sense of smell for about half a day but it was profound, I literally stuck my nose in a jar of vicks and nothing. It was like it was an empty jar.

couldn’t really comment on brain fog cause I’m always stoned and that’s my normal.

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
I had a slightly runny nose from it. The day I tested positive I did a 50 mile bike ride afterwards (no cardio issues). My neighbor across the street had it weeks prior and it put her in bed for three weeks. She was a long hauler and would be put back in bed every other week for 3-5 days at a time. It was real rough on her. Not until she had her first shot that her long haul symptoms vanished. Not sure if that was coincidence or due to the shot.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Had it twice. The early case was not determined, it was Feb of 2020 there were no tests yet. But that was a week of intense torso and lung pain, fever, some cold style symptoms, and total exhaustion and misery. if it was indeed Covid, (and NYC had been swimming in it for 2 months by then) it was the OG strain

then we got a milder strain in May of 22. But wife and I both tested positive. Only had a fever the first 24 hours, but the aches and pains and fatigue and cough and cold symptoms lasted well over a week, and didn’t get a negative antigen test for 12 days. It wasn’t awful but it lingered miserably, and I was exhausted for a few weeks after the negative test

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I just had it first week of August. I found out cause my 1.5 year old had a 102 fever and then I got a fever and coughing, so I took a test and was positive. Baby also had gnarly snot, I had to use that snot sucker multiple times a day. Unfortunately my wife was out of town for work so it was just my sick little dude, me and our boogers. We got it from my nieces who came back from a basketball tournament in Vegas and love to hug and kiss my baby (I'm not blaming them). It felt like a common cold, the only different part was that I had flem/mucus for like 2.5 weeks that lingered around. More irritating than anything. Baby bounced back quick and was fine less than two days after 102 fever. My wife came back and we got her sick but hers was very mild with no flem and only lasted 48 hours.

Also, a couple days after my negative test I went surfing and everything was fine until 30 minutes after paddling out and I felt like I had been surfing for 4 hours. I could barely paddle and popping up was so difficult. Coordination way off and I was getting out of breath, so I went in and had to sit in the car for awhile before driving home. That was weird.

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Got it a month ago for the first time having had all the jabs. Was not pleasant, sore throat, body aching so I couldn't sleep very well & head ache. Symptoms were on off on off like a roller coaster making you think you were getting better but just to hit you again. Brain fog. Short period taste loss. Although it went on for over 2 weeks there was only one day I couldn't do anything at all. Did I say brain fog? My wife got it worse & longer, even though she's tougher than me.
Interestingly pre covid outbreak we got an identical bug in Thailand.

PS went surfing after first negative test, boy that was tough going!
PPS Paracetamol definitely helps.

Last edited:

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
Got the Delta summer of 21. Worst 14 days alone. Lost sense of smell and taste. By day 7 I thought I was going to lose my mind eating the same tasteless meal again and again.
Surely saw the grim reaper hanging around one night but fought him off with some major yoga breathing exercises. Lost that extra 15LBS dad bod I’ve always carried around but could never quite get rid of. The way it attacked my body was IMO not a natural thing but something that is not explainable to people who didn’t feel the way I did. Definitely had long COVID where I couldn’t stand for more than 5 minutes and then needed a 2 hour nap to recover. After 3 months I’ve fully recovered. Haven’t gotten even a minor sniffle since then but have seen fellow 3x vaxx+boosted friends get COVID 2-3 times over and can’t quite quit the sniffle bugs from getting them often.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Had a sore throat for a few days, mild congestion, chills without fever, light cough, and lastly a runny nose. Lasted about 5 days before was feeling well enough.

The worst part was the isolation in the bedroom/house. So bored.

Most of those who say they haven't had it have had it.

Also, those who have had symptoms during this time period but tested negative have likely had it. It takes some people days to test positive and the rapid tests aren't as accurate.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
To piggy back on his comments I haven't tested positive but I'm sure I had it.

Went through my house twice and I never tested positive.

Ran through my family pretty good after a vacation and the isolation was the worst part, as they didn't really get sick. My father in law got really sick though and it lingered for a long time.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
With my recent medical history, covid was a death warrant. So I was first in line for 2 shots and a booster. My reaction was very bad, however it couldn’t have been as bad as covid. Well July 5th I tested positive for covid. I had the classic “covid“ cough (and I’ll forever know the sound), runny nose, occasional back breaking sneezes but not much fever. On the 13th I got an infusion of monoclonal antibodies. Hours after I felt so good that I was tempted to wax my board and paddle out, even with the persistent symptoms of covid. Now when I misplace my key I can blame it on long covid.

The anxiety of catching it nearly drove me insane. I wonder if anyone else felt that way?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Never had it that I’m aware. In fact, one one person in the house has ever tested positive, but I’m guessing two others had it recently as well.

Jan 15, 2020
Had it in May after returning from a trip abroad. One day of fever and 2-3 of very severe sore throat. No jabs. I did the FLCC protocol (Ivermectin [prescribed not the animal kine lol], zinc, vitamin C & D). Felt fine in about 4 days. No lingering symptoms.

Reactions: keenfish

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
I'll start by saying that if I have had it I didn't know it.
Not saying you are, but don't get cocky. I tested positive Tuesday. Up until then I thought I was one of those who probably beat it unknowingly. First symptoms were a headache and sensation like I was breathing really cold dry air. A few hours later I had a 102 fever and felt miserable. Thankfully tylenol took care of the fever, but like a few others experienced I had a sore throat that felt like fire. Haven't lost taste or smell, but do have some chest congestion. First 36 hours were the worst, and slowly improving each day. Last time I had a fever was probably 25 years ago with, what I guess, was the flu. That was worse, but this has my respect. Moving forward I'd like to avoid getting it again. Being inside alone when the weather is gorgeous is depressing.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Been sick three times since COVID became a thing. First and worst time was February or early March 2020. Second and third times were March (lost my sense of smell/taste for a day or so) and May of this year, the May one being the worst (mostly horrible phlegm-ey cough), but even that was nothing compared to 2020, during which time I felt like I was suffocating for about five days. I have to assume that I had it one of those times. During the May one I tested twice, a week apart, both antigen and PCR, all came back negative, neg for flu 1 and 2 also.