Who had that Bitcoin target price prediction?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
nope nope nope. I'm out again

I took my 20% profit from the fetch buy and pulled right back out again.

I gotta stay focused on the property I want in County Clare. Just last night I floated my first all cash offer to the dairy farmer selling the land. I lowballed a bit, but offered all cash and quick close. And he knows full well that it's easily $300,000 to rebuild, and that's AFTER buying the half acre and 3 rundown structures. And there just aren't that many young irish folks who A: have the time and money to embark on such a project as a "starter home" and B: the property is essentially in the middle of nowhere, from an employment perspective. The ONLY people who would be interested in this property are people who don't need a nearby job, are retired, etc. And unless they work at Trumps' resort or one of the umpteen dairy farms (which are all small and family run anyway) there is nowhere nearby with an employment base. Even Galway City and/or Shannon are a solid hour away, and those aren't exactly teeming metropolises either. As the Irish say, there is Dublin, and then there is Ireland.

it's been on the market for at least a year and nobody has bought it yet. He may very well read all cash, 20% below his ask, and just say "sure, you and mrs subway will make great neighbors (a kilometer down the road of course)"

Or, i will have insulted a kindly old Irish dairy farmer and he will find a polite and charming way of telling me to feck off and come back with a real offer (to be fair, my "low ball" is still a solid number"

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
yeah i don't think he will be "insulted" by my 20% below-ask offer, i think it's a good starting point. worst he can say is no. Especially since i included the "all cash, and quick close" aspect. and he really likes my wife and me.

If he COUNTERS with a number, it will show me he is willing to negotiate against himself, and i will again counter with another number, and close the deal with an in person cash delivery

Actually that's probably just in movies. I will probably present him with a certified check or something. I don't know. I've never bought anything that expensive in all cash before

Can i just fly over with a back pack full of benjamins? lol

Reactions: grapedrink

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
nope nope nope. I'm out again

I took my 20% profit from the fetch buy and pulled right back out again.

I gotta stay focused on the property I want in County Clare. Just last night I floated my first all cash offer to the dairy farmer selling the land. I lowballed a bit, but offered all cash and quick close. And he knows full well that it's easily $300,000 to rebuild, and that's AFTER buying the half acre and 3 rundown structures. And there just aren't that many young irish folks who A: have the time and money to embark on such a project as a "starter home" and B: the property is essentially in the middle of nowhere, from an employment perspective. The ONLY people who would be interested in this property are people who don't need a nearby job, are retired, etc. And unless they work at Trumps' resort or one of the umpteen dairy farms (which are all small and family run anyway) there is nowhere nearby with an employment base. Even Galway City and/or Shannon are a solid hour away, and those aren't exactly teeming metropolises either. As the Irish say, there is Dublin, and then there is Ireland.

it's been on the market for at least a year and nobody has bought it yet. He may very well read all cash, 20% below his ask, and just say "sure, you and mrs subway will make great neighbors (a kilometer down the road of course)"

Or, i will have insulted a kindly old Irish dairy farmer and he will find a polite and charming way of telling me to feck off and come back with a real offer (to be fair, my "low ball" is still a solid number"
dang, sub, that sounds sweet! hope the deal goes through for you!

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I feel like the deal is about 75% do able. Maybe better…And honestly i could easily get a small Irish mortgage for about $500 a month. But I’d rather it be owned in full and unladen :jamon: . I suppose i could take a 50k loan to meet his full ask easily, and then pay off that mortgage in a year or two. Right? Don’t people build humble real estate portfolios using bank money?

the farmer owns all of the pastures surrounding our little half acre plot already. They are alllllll his grazing pastures which is cool with us. The ladies provide endless entertainment and they produce mushrooms and fun videos and bucolic beauty yada yada. I mean, how about doing yoga in a warm glass and stone enclosed studio, with a herd of milk cows and the Atlantic Ocean as your back drop. Cue the enya and sign me up

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I feel like the deal is about 75% do able. Maybe better…And honestly i could easily get a small Irish mortgage for about $500 a month. But I’d rather it be owned in full and unladen :jamon: . I suppose i could take a 50k loan to meet his full ask easily, and then pay off that mortgage in a year or two. Right? Don’t people build humble real estate portfolios using bank money?
Yes. Don't believe any of that Dave Ramsey "all debt bad" BS. If your interest rate is lower than what the SP500 averages, then you invest the difference and make more. Investors are often looking for the least entry cash possible because that frees up cash for reserves, renovations, and other deals. That's why "Cash On Cash" return is such a key metric.

the farmer owns all of the pastures surrounding our little half acre plot already. They are alllllll his grazing pastures which is cool with us. The ladies provide endless entertainment and they produce mushrooms and fun videos and bucolic beauty yada yada. I mean, how about doing yoga in a warm glass and stone enclosed studio, with a herd of milk cows and the Atlantic Ocean as your back drop. Cue the enya and sign me up
:beer:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah if we financed half of it (which is what would generally be required for a foreigner taking a relatively modest loan) that would free up cash to at least do the 25k in clean up and sort of “prepping” the whole place so when we have the money one day, we are ready to build. Besides, the cottage and outbuildings are oooool and something will need to be done to either shore them up, or perhaps even taken down if structurally they are beyond salvation. It’s really their footprints that are important, the buildings can and likely would get approved for a full tear down, and plans would have to be keeping in character of the area etc, with an architectural review board. And that’s exactly how we would want to rebuild, just with modern materials and tech etc. A modern, but 200 year old looking small holding. A 2 story home, a yoga studio, and a little guest cottage. Heaven. Attainable.

”ye good sirs of Doonbeg and Killard. I aim to build the MOST rural and Irish looking little cluster of buidings in the existing foot prints. I didn’t buy this collection of run down shanties and stone stables just to bring some hideous American McMansion to your blessed shores. In fact, you good sirs and your wives can choose the colors of the exteriors, and the landscaping choices” :roflmao:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
All five AI coins kiling it again today.

AI coins, Year to date (coinbase)

NMR 113%
GRT 158%
OCEAN 209%
MDT 338%
FET 475%

ORAI 525% (Kucoin)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: bird.LA

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Yeah if we financed half of it (which is what would generally be required for a foreigner taking a relatively modest loan) that would free up cash to at least do the 25k in clean up and sort of “prepping” the whole place so when we have the money one day, we are ready to build. Besides, the cottage and outbuildings are oooool and something will need to be done to either shore them up, or perhaps even taken down if structurally they are beyond salvation. It’s really their footprints that are important, the buildings can and likely would get approved for a full tear down, and plans would have to be keeping in character of the area etc, with an architectural review board. And that’s exactly how we would want to rebuild, just with modern materials and tech etc. A modern, but 200 year old looking small holding. A 2 story home, a yoga studio, and a little guest cottage. Heaven. Attainable.

”ye good sirs of Doonbeg and Killard. I aim to build the MOST rural and Irish looking little cluster of buidings in the existing foot prints. I didn’t buy this collection of run down shanties and stone stables just to bring some hideous American McMansion to your blessed shores. In fact, you good sirs and your wives can choose the colors of the exteriors, and the landscaping choices” :roflmao:
Check what you're able to do BEFORE laying ANY monies out.

Chances are you might be severely restricted by code.

Also, check how expensive it is to get fines for breaking code, or how much you'd have to grease a palm to go outside of code "with permit".

Rural areas can be quite restrictive in terms of building codes here in the "old country".

:shameonyou::waving::computer::shrug:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
@Subway

Building code for County Clare, Ireland

Dispensation and relaxation from the building regulations
A building control authority may grant a dispensation form, or a relaxation of, any requirement of the building regulations. A decision on an application for a dispensation or relaxation must be made within two months of the date of receipt of the application, unless an extension of time is agreed with the applicant. The decision can be appealed to An Bord Pleanála.

Application form for a dispensation from, or relaxation of, a requirement of the building regulations [PDF, 28KB]

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Check what you're able to do BEFORE laying ANY monies out.

Chances are you might be severely restricted by code.

Also, check how expensive it is to get fines for breaking code, or how much you'd have to grease a palm to go outside of code "with permit".

Rural areas can be quite restrictive in terms of building codes here in the "old country".

:shameonyou::waving::computer::shrug:
Super strict and I like it that way. More than happy to comply. I want our little freehold to add to the aura by adhering to the common themes among the cottages and outbuildings of the area. We had a long series of talks with the seller and he kept hammering away about how strict all the codes and character preservation requirements etc. we know what we are buying into.

it should be noted he in no way (even in my cynical sales brain) thought we were potential buyers. We were just friendly chatty Americans renting the place up the road a click. He was freely telling us how strict the guidelines can be, but he also told us what CAN be done and that was just fine. if a place is in fact a full tear down, dangerous etc, they will in fact let you tear it down, and you just get your plan approved just like any other strict, preservation minded community.

even if they require that you save a wall or two, there are all sorts of ways to comply and build a 19th century looking home built to 21st century standards

nicaragua will be more adventurous architecture, but still, always with an eye to blend and enhance, not distract and stand out.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah we would have a pretty solid network to tap into. The dairy farmer is a beloved leading citizen of the little hamlet, 3rd generation, he knows everyone. He’s gone through this exact process a few times as he has upgraded and/or rebuilt various properties on his extensive land holdings on the peninsula. Did it to expand and enhance his home, and did a full rebuild for one of his kids too. And I think another kid bought an old rundowner and built something really nice too.

Knows well how to navigate the process and is the sort of guy who would gladly offer wisdom and references…. He kind of bemoans the whole process/policy because while he knows and respects the WHY of it, it’s hard to rectify what it means for subsequent generations to actually have the time and money to take on a project like this. Frozen in time is part of the charm and magic, but for local kids getting started with young families or whatever? Good luck. Makes him sad. Only one of his sons has any interest in taking over the dairy business. Rest of his bright, wonderful young adult offspring are off living their modern lives in Dublin

he also noted that it makes even such beautiful properties had to sell. Takes a very specific type of buyer

Reactions: grapedrink

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’m coming for your Fetch boss. All your gains are belong to me and my ladies here

@Northern_Shores eat your heart out. You know you jealous and perhaps a little aroused NTTIAWWT. I’ll be your Jarl any day you Viking whelp you

ALSO love expense accounts. This was a $6,000 party. For 2 hours and 25 people
2BCFC28C-A6D1-4606-8AC8-1D8833F20E8C.jpeg