White, male, and work in the industry in Hollywood? Not anymore.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Ghostbusters sucked, Black panther was good, the point is your ilk was bitching before even seeing the movies,
Not my ilk.

I think what got to some people about ghostbusters is remaking an existing movie. it’s a lazy cop out with the sole purpose of scoring woke points without having to do the actual work of coming up with something unique.

Reactions: Ifallalot

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I started reading that article and then realized that since pretty much every movie out is either an interchangeable Marvel movie or a kids animation movie, I really didn't care who bluescreened or voiced any of them.
Marvel movies are the same thing. No creativity required, no development of new characters and story lines, just license the Marvel name and character and it will be a hit. Even if it’s garbage.

I end up liking some of them, but I understand the frustration of film industry people who do the hard work of creating and marketing something new that is actually good.

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Not my ilk.

I think what got to some people about ghostbusters is remaking an existing movie. it’s a lazy cop out with the sole purpose of scoring woke points without having to do the actual work of coming up with something unique.
And yet it worked just fine for Brewster's Millions with Richard Pryor. But yes, everything is a sequel, prequel, Marvel, remake, etc. Nothing I find really all that intriguing in the theaters (of which said experience sucks lately)

Chocki said it right above - Hollywood only cares about green. They'll take whatever stance and produce whatever schlock just to keep the money rolling in. I am already dreading the release of Frozen 3. People don't care - they just want a shiny object. Last Jedi wasn't even that shiny. Horribly cheesy with extremely sloppy storytelling; I am glad I didn't pay anything to see it - it almost made the Dark Tower movie attempt look good.

Nothing in society has ever really improved by giving the purseholders a say in anything beyond providing money. Think about it: Has a movie ever been improved by studio input?

BTW, Keira Knightley is still safe. The ocean is honoring her well right now.

Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Do you believe that implicit bias exists and has existed for a long time?
If so, do you have ideas on how to change that?
Can you define implicit bias as you are using it in this context?

When people use that term, it's a sign to me they don't understand how the cognitive system works.

That is really important.

Because the blacks got legitimate gripes.

That is all the more reason they need to make their case logically.

I just see appeals to pity and shame and double binds.

I wouldn't care about this if I thought it would bring about the optimal changes.

I don't think it will.

Cowabunga

Last edited:

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
So choki is wetting the bed because Hollywood is responding to market demand?

Next thing you know he’s going to start getting all angsty because there aren’t enough white rock bands out there. The kids don’t want rock music. They want shitty auto-tuned mumble rap.

The kids want black music. Always have.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Holy sh!t, Black Panther DIDN'T suck? :ROFLMAO:

Uh huh. *giggle* (that must be why our next President proposes running the country like Wakanda)

As long as diminutive dimwitted Scientologists with ego problems, mutants, and Keanus with bad haircuts can still find work, I will probably be able to sleep at nights. Which is what most of the stuff Hollywood has churned out over the last two years is good for. A sleep aid.

Entertainment for children with short attention spans aside, maybe read a book? :eek:

Besides, "actors" are probably making bank selling bad selfies to TMZ lately. "Show business kids making movies of themselves you know they don't give a fvck about anybody else." (As I remember those words were found painted in a cave inhabited early in the Anthropocene Age) Unless you are under 18 and/or have suffered multiple head injuries, your demographic was abandoned years ago.

Fvck them all. May a vast fire cleanse Malibu (and Calabasas) of vapid people living in mini mansions. And movie theaters are never coming back. They will all be converted to mega mosques/churches for people who own lots of guns and test positive for COVID19 antibodies. The age of Hollywierd is over. Be your own entertainment. Mutate and jump off of a cliff.

If any of that offends you, that's pathetic. I had fun writing it. Now, if you will excuse me, I hear there is a new Rocky movie that is going straight to Netflix!!!! That is just SO creative! Instagram is calling...

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
This brings up an interesting point. When Biff and Buffy are listening to "black music" are they allowed to sing the n-word?
No, they have to stop singing right there.

In my old gym they play really hard core rap.

I'm in there and there is young black kid, maybe five hanging out while his mom works with the personal trainer.

On the radio, the rapper was shouting, nigga nigga nigga.

It really bummed me out.

I had this thought that I just need to work out at home.

Last edited:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
In other words, water is wet

This is not just in Hollywood. Take a gander at all the big CA city police and fire chiefs and honestly tell me they are representative of the rank and file employees. And 2020 has only made the racism worse. Recruiters I know have been given directives that they MUST process "diversity" candidates rather than just picking the best candidates.

Also, there's no such thing as "reverse" racism. It is simply racist, sexist, bigotry

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
This brings up an interesting point. When Biff and Buffy are listening to "black music" are they allowed to sing the n-word?
They can just do the Hey Jude route:

"Na-na-na, na, na
Na-na-na, na
Superman that ho"

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I started reading that article and then realized that since pretty much every movie out is either an interchangeable Marvel movie or a kids animation movie, I really didn't care who bluescreened or voiced any of them.
But now it matters who voices or acts characters

In cartoons.

Clown world

Reactions: Chocki