Where's all the old boogie boarders?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I stopped body boarding and started surfing when I was 9. Not sure why anyone with a two digit age would keep doing that.
Oh please!? I rarely touch one anymore but it can be fun if the conditions are right and just to do something different on a wave.

I hope you never have physical problems that prevent you from surfing, but many good surfers will get on the boog from time to time for various reasons. Don’t hate.

Reactions: Black

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
There’s a crew of them around here and they fuggin charge. I’m friends w a few of them. There’s also a boog in his early 70s, know some other older standup surfers that have back or hip issues n they bodyboard now.

Bonus tip: wanna surf slabby waves?Go find where the bodyboarders are surfing… or spend your time tuning up and arguing about your groveler quiver online.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
My high school in the late 80's had a large contingent of bodyboards - many of them quite good and a couple went pro.
Very few get in the water these days - but then, a vast majority of the surfers from my era quit as well. injuries, drinking and golf seem to take up most of their time these days.

When the surf gets steep and hollow though - I'll see random bodyboarders showing up and pulling in - and they tend to have good etiquette in the water. I have a Science bodyboard and fins for the low tide beach break closeout tube days. Oh, and it's always good to have a boogie around for when family and friends come visit and want a beach day.

Reactions: npsp, Aruka and r32

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I stopped body boarding and started surfing when I was 9. Not sure why anyone with a two digit age would keep doing that.
A lot of kids in Hawaii can't afford a surfboard. I was one of them. You take what you can get when you're a kid and have some fun.

A lot of breaks in Hawaii are for bodyboards. You can't surf there and you really wouldn't be able to even if they allowed it.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I haven't bodyboarded in years, but still have my Toobs boards. Grew up on a Mach 7, Mach 7S, Turbo XL-R8, Mach 8TX, Toobs, Omega, and some others. Tried virtually every swim fin on the market. Used Redley for years until they were no longer available in the US then switched to Vipers. For swimming the shorepound, snorkeling, nothing beat DaFin.

We used to go out at the few slabs we have around here, including one about 900 yards off shore. Those were good times. Not a care in the world, sharks or otherwise.

Now, I don't see bodyboarders anymore. The crews are gone. Everyone moved away, got real jobs, and at some point, stopped bodyboarding. And some of those spots we used to go out at are no longer ridden by anybody. I think the shark factor feels like it's increased 10-fold since those days, as the population of seals in our area has increased 100x. I still think about hitting up some of those slabs sometimes. But those long paddles across deep water to get to the reefs are a bit sketch by myself.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I have boogie boards, soft top beaters and old surfboards who have no children to ride them.
A few older guys show up when it's a special day and they do have fair etiquette just being general.
None today but it would've been pretty cool.

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
A lot of kids in Hawaii can't afford a surfboard. I was one of them. You take what you can get when you're a kid and have some fun.

A lot of breaks in Hawaii are for bodyboards. You can't surf there and you really wouldn't be able to even if they allowed it.
Watching the groms on bodyboards at Shipwreck beach is one of my favorite surf spectating experiences.

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
I've mentioned somewhere on here before about taking up the bodyboard on occasion in the last 12 months when my useless back is giving me grief. I'd say its put more smiles on my face than my last 12 months of surfing which for some reason always seems such a "serious" endeavour whereas bodyboarding is just fun. It also gets me in the sea when I can't surf or wouldn't go in due to poor conditions.
I was 65 the other day and I can only see the frequency of bodyboarding increasing compared to surf days which is kind of a nice way to wean myself off surfing without going cold turkey.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
boogie boarders try to act like they charge, but everyone knows it’s easy as fvck to just lay there and hold on. How easy is making the drop when you don’t have to stand up lol.

it’s fun, but it’s lame and should be saved for closeouts and messing around in shorebreak.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I haven't bodyboarded in years, but still have my Toobs boards. Grew up on a Mach 7, Mach 7S, Turbo XL-R8, Mach 8TX, Toobs, Omega, and some others. Tried virtually every swim fin on the market. Used Redley for years until they were no longer available in the US then switched to Vipers. For swimming the shorepound, snorkeling, nothing beat DaFin.

We used to go out at the few slabs we have around here, including one about 900 yards off shore. Those were good times. Not a care in the world, sharks or otherwise.

Now, I don't see bodyboarders anymore. The crews are gone. Everyone moved away, got real jobs, and at some point, stopped bodyboarding. And some of those spots we used to go out at are no longer ridden by anybody. I think the shark factor feels like it's increased 10-fold since those days, as the population of seals in our area has increased 100x. I still think about hitting up some of those slabs sometimes. But those long paddles across deep water to get to the reefs are a bit sketch by myself.
Nobody boogie boards mouse rock any more? Guess I don’t see as many ashiasiam stickers these days